Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GameCubes  (Read 4185 times)

Description:

Offline Sparky

• Show only replies by Sparky
Re: GameCubes
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 12:45:57 AM »

_caddy_ wrote:

- i know that. i got a B in games and entertainment technology at uni thank you very much.

[/quote]

They teach games at university now ?  Sheesh, I had to learn formal methods, CASE, COBOL, PASCAL, C, ADA, Real-time systems programming, distributed systems, AI, LANs/WANs, Operating System design, database design and documentation.  Not one module of gaming to be seen back then!  Bugger!

And to top it off after 6 years in university how many of those skills do you think I now use ?  That's right .. sod all, now I do SANs and NAS ... oh well.

Offline Sparky

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2004, 12:52:01 AM »

angrybrit wrote:

IMO consoles are directed at people who are kids/adolescents and don't have the patience to learn all that jargon that comes with a personal computer.

Yeah right ... I bought an Xbox for simple fact that I don't have to worry if the game I bought will run on it because it needs 5Tb of RAM or an 8squiggleHz CPU and $5000 of cash stuffed into the USB port.

As to limited PC experience ? Well I work for IBM so I'm supposed to know the odd thing about IT.

Offline Sparky

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 12:56:44 AM »

_caddy_ wrote:
providing a reasonable licence from nintendo - not highly likely, but not totally impossible, gamecubes use  PPC processors, and ATI radeon hardware - if i'm not mistaken, so do the A1's, how possiblw would it be to port games?

how possible would it be for a gamecube on a card, in the same veign ans that psx one for the mac

i mean think of the possibilities of this, the total opposite of what xbox is, microsoft would pack their pants.

just a thought

In a perfect trusting world it might work, but as someone has already mentioned 3DO tried the whole licensing of hardware to multiple parties and they went belly up.

Plus Nintendo have always been quite jealous of guarding their technology and how would you load those funny disks they use on a PC ? (aren't they an propriatory format ?)

Offline Sparky

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2004, 01:02:53 AM »

Why can't Cloanto sell a version of Amiga forever for Xbox?!?!  It would seem to be free money, since Intellivision Lives, Midway/Atari Classics, etc have all come out for Xbox and are really just MAME-clones.

A big Boing logo on the box -- that would get Amiga's image in front of people again, and it would sell!

You should know the answer to that being an Xbox helpdesk support person ... Cloanto would have to buy the Xbox developer system (doubt it's cheap), then get the disks manufactured (after all they are not standard .. more money), then how would people get the games onto the Xbox ? (most Xbox's choke on CD-R's) or would the user have to chip their Xbox ? (MS would freak at that and cancel Cloanto's developer contract)  Or would they use the ethernet connection to a PC ? (in which case, why not use the PC version of Amiga Forever)  Then you have to remember that the majority of Xbox owners were'nt born when amiga was about and would say the games look and sound {bleep}e :-)

Offline FastRobPlus

• Show only replies by FastRobPlus
    • http://bye
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2004, 01:19:25 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------
then how would people get the games onto the Xbox ? (most Xbox's choke on CD-R's) or would the user have to chip their Xbox ? (MS would freak at that and cancel Cloanto's developer contract) Or would they use the ethernet connection to a PC ? (in which case, why not use the PC version of Amiga Forever)

A good point.  Actually, I had assumed that Amiga Forever shipped with some of the older classics.  If I'm wrong in that assumption, it would not really be a worthwhile port.

However, if it sold okay, you could download additional games for a nominal fee via Xbox Live.  Old developers might like this as they are always looking for a way to get some extra money from old properties.  I think Sierra/Vivendi, UBISoft, LucasArts and EA would all allow premium content downloads.

Then you have to remember that the majority of Xbox owners were'nt born when amiga was about and would say the games look and sound {bleep}e

By all accounts, Intellivision Lives! and Midway Arcade Treasures were sucessful titles.  It's surprising how many folks are nostalgic for this stuff.

Offline angrybrit

• Show only replies by angrybrit
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2004, 01:19:52 AM »
FastRobPlus wrote:
A narrow-minded opinion.  But if we went with your assumption that this was the case, why would the “more mature and more patient” PC gamers want the console games ported in the first place?

Narrow-minded opinion?  IMO it's very accurate.

Which console games need to be ported?

Offline FastRobPlus

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2004, 01:21:13 AM »
@Ronald

Sorry you feel this way.

Offline angrybrit

• Show only replies by angrybrit
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2004, 01:27:33 AM »
Sparky wrote:

Yeah right ... I bought an Xbox for simple fact that I don't have to worry if the game I bought will run on it because it needs 5Tb of RAM or an 8squiggleHz CPU and $5000 of cash stuffed into the USB port.

As to limited PC experience ? Well I work for IBM so I'm supposed to know the odd thing about IT.

You work at IBM?  I'm very happy for you.  Too bad, it's irrelevant in this conversation. <_<

So you mean to tell me that you will skip all MMORPGs, 100% of RTS, 90% of FPS games (which those who will get to the XBox will be mostly low end versions of those PC FPS games) and limit your online experience (16 player servers, WTF)? :lol:  :-o

Offline Sparky

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2004, 01:29:39 AM »

FastRobPlus wrote:

Then you have to remember that the majority of Xbox owners were'nt born when amiga was about and would say the games look and sound {bleep}e

By all accounts, Intellivision Lives! and Midway Arcade Treasures were sucessful titles.  It's surprising how many folks are nostalgic for this stuff.

Ahh but I bet you it is bought by old farts like us who remember playing them years ago :-)  

Kids today want wizzy graphics and sound as well as bouncy breasts (ala DOA Beach Volleyball :-)  "Gameplay" comes second.

Offline _caddy_Topic starter

• Show only replies by _caddy_
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2004, 01:31:04 AM »
i'd tend to agree here, if you spend all the time upgrading hardware and software just to play a game, and sometimes it doesnt work even after that, a console is there so you can turn it on and play.

wether its a case of lazyness - (i cant be arsed messing to get it workin) ineptitude (i have no clue how to get it working) or pure impatience (i just wanna play)

why bother with all the hasslte, sometimes u just wanna play a game, and thats it

snes 10 min fix - turn it on, have ur fix, turn it off

kills time in between doing other things

[qoute]Kids today want wizzy graphics and sound as well as bouncy breasts (ala DOA Beach Volleyball  "Gameplay" comes second.[/quote] - isn't this an unfortunate truth

A1200 in original casing
Internal
4.3gb hard drive // 24x cdrom // clock port Hypercom1 // floppy drive
External
3 floppy drives, and a 3 Com Etherlink 3 PCMCIA Ethernet Card

Offline FastRobPlus

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2004, 01:34:29 AM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahh but I bet you it is bought by old farts like us who remember playing them years ago  

I might be getting old...  I bought a game for my PS/2 but it didn't fit in the drive. When did that happen?  I wanna play Dance Dance Revolution in MCGA!

Kids today want wizzy graphics and sound as well as bouncy breasts (ala DOA Beach Volleyball  "Gameplay" comes second.

Not true!  They want to play Outlaw Vollyball, beacuse.  Oh, wait...

Offline Sparky

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2004, 01:34:37 AM »

angrybrit wrote:

So you mean to tell me that you will skip all MMORPGs, 100% of RTS, 90% of FPS games (which those who will get to the XBox will be mostly low end versions of those PC FPS games) and limit your online experience (16 player servers, WTF)? :lol:  :-o

Hands up who has a machine capable of running Doom3 PROPERLY!

That's right no-one has!  I don't see the point in having to upgrade my PC everytime a new game comes out ... I'm just not that sad!  I'd rather buy a console that is good for 2-3 years worth of games and costs 15% of a PC that runs the same games only slightly better (and sometimes worse .. ie. Splinter Cell and Halo)

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2004, 01:37:27 AM »
raises hand**
A1200 in original casing
Internal
External

Offline Sparky

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2004, 01:39:10 AM »

_caddy_ wrote:
raises hand**

Really so you have a graphics card with 512Mb of RAM on it ?  Which one would that be ?

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2004, 01:41:19 AM »
no, but my 256meg one runs it just fine, it runs properly, and a reasonable speed, that's as properly as anyones going to get
A1200 in original casing
Internal
External

Offline Sparky

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 08, 2004, 01:46:09 AM »

_caddy_ wrote:
no, but my 256meg one runs it just fine, it runs properly, and a reasonable speed, that's as properly as anyones going to get

But that is not running the game PROPERLY ... to run the "Ultimate" settings you need a minimum of 512Mb of RAM on the graphics card, anything less and you get lots of texture swapping across the bus (and here I guess you are AGP and not PCI-Express ?)

So to sum up, you have a PC that is capable of leting you play the game, but not of letting you see the game run at 100% quality.  Better be a good PC gamer and buy a NZ$2000 QuadroFX so you can play your NZ$80 game ....