Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New 68k Duke Nukem Project (AGA/RTG)  (Read 5358 times)

Description:

Offline dante_oxyron

• Show only replies by dante_oxyron
    • http://www.oxyron.de
Re: New 68k Duke Nukem Project (AGA/RTG)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
Fascinating. I also started with some work on duke3d, based on a merged version of my amiga port back from 2003 and the last update from icculus. at least i don't have any endian issues, because i had removed them already back in 2003.... was the most work, took me weeks as far i remember.
netherless, wish you all the best for your port, and if your port is really playable on AGA, than i can stop working on it... ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:13:46 PM by dante_oxyron »

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »
Quote from: dante_oxyron;760233
Fascinating. I also started with some work on duke3d, based on a merged version of my amiga port back from 2003 and the last update from icculus. at least i don't have any endian issues, because i had removed them already back in 2003.... was the most work, took me weeks as far i remember.
netherless, wish you all the best for your port, and if your port is really playable on AGA, than i can stop working on it... ;)

Hiya,

Yes it's very playable in AGA on my 1260, not as fast as DOOM but it's much faster than the old 68k Duke port.

There's one silly bug that I need to fix before I can send it off to get BETA tested, just got to try and find the time to fix it.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 03:57:18 PM »
Weird how the old Duke port cops flak for being slow. Its hardly lightning speed, but quite playable when configured properly. Its faster than things like Zdoom, but slower than Adoom/Doomattack, etc.

On my a1200+'040 (using aga) I get between 7 and 15 fps, depending on the scene (based on dnrate values).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline dante_oxyron

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;760270
Weird how the old Duke port cops flak for being slow. Its hardly lightning speed, but quite playable when configured properly. Its faster than things like Zdoom, but slower than Adoom/Doomattack, etc.

On my a1200+'040 (using aga) I get between 7 and 15 fps, depending on the scene (based on dnrate values).

Yeah, thats one thing  i'm working on. I didn't care much about AGA back in 2003, but now i've found some time and interest to redo my old port... and guess what, first thing i did is optimizing the screen refresh. And it works, the actual version is already faster than the old one.

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Quote from: dante_oxyron;760271
Yeah, thats one thing  i'm working on. I didn't care much about AGA back in 2003, but now i've found some time and interest to redo my old port... and guess what, first thing i did is optimizing the screen refresh. And it works, the actual version is already faster than the old one.

Dante, are you the one that sent me that quick and dirty port, I ended up hacking to use the shareware version of Duke, so people could play it and not have Atomic? :) I still have it (I think?).

Man, you made me waste many an hour on Amithlon with that...... :D
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline dante_oxyron

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;760275
Dante, are you the one that sent me that quick and dirty port, I ended up hacking to use the shareware version of Duke, so people could play it and not have Atomic? :) I still have it (I think?).

Man, you made me waste many an hour on Amithlon with that...... :D

I never did anything for amithlon, i never had this system, sorry. maybe someone else recompiled my port of duke for it? dunno, sorry.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »
Amithlon runs 68k exes, and your port is crazy fast on it :)
At low res (custom p96 256*192) I get roughly 1000 fps on my amithlon box :)
Weirdly up to 320fps it calculates and shows normal rates, but beyond that it just shows the closest multiple of 320. The rate at aforementioned res alternates between 960 and 1280fps.
Granted this is overkill and I run it at 2048*1536, but it was fun testing framerates at assorted resolutions :)

For those unaware, and interested simply type, "dnrate" during the game to have framerate shown in top left corner of the screen.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 03:32:24 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;760288
Amithlon runs 68k exes, and your port is crazy fast on it :)
At low res (custom p96 256*192) I get roughly 1000 fps on my amithlon box :)
Weirdly up to 320fps it calculates and shows normal rates, but beyond that it just shows the closest multiple of 320. The rate at aforementioned res alternates between 960 and 1280fps.
Granted this is overkill and I run it at 2048*1536, but it was fun testing framerates at assorted resolutions :)

For those unaware, and interested simply type, "dnrate" during the game to have framerate shown in top left corner of the screen.

Well now that is interesting. I need to go back and spend more time with my Amithlon box again.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 10:01:29 PM »
There are some silly little bugs still but I don't have time to fix them.  It looks like it's completable so I'll probably release it soon.

The port still isn't fully optimized, just don't have the time to add the assembler routines these days :(

[youtube]-kFjGOH4sL0[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:06:22 PM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 10:56:41 PM »
awesome work.  And awesome track :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 12:58:18 AM »
Quote from: JJ;761217
awesome work.  And awesome track :)

Thanx :)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 02:46:53 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;761221
Thanx :)

You still have not answered the question if you are porting exult to exult aga yet?

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 02:59:26 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;761226
You still have not answered the question if you are porting exult to exult aga yet?

Yep I already have ported it ages ago, it's on my HD at home ;)

I can't release it yet, way too buggy and slow.    Hopefully I'll get the time to fix it up and release it one day.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 03:11:56 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;761227
Yep I already have ported it ages ago, it's on my HD at home ;)

I can't release it yet, way too buggy and slow.    Hopefully I'll get the time to fix it up and release it one day.

That is good to hear :) I have one final question to ask you however. You said all these ports require a 060 @ 80 Mhz at least with AGA and PAL only. I have an A4000D myself with a 040 @ 25 Mhz...can I just use RTG card instead and be able to run all your ports easily?

One final question. Is it cheaper to use an RTG card over buying an accelerator card that is 060 @ 80 Mhz and would the performance be the same if I use an RTG card on a 040 @ 25 verses a 060 @ 80 Mhz on AGA?

AH! Yes one final question. I have a lots of Amiga games and AmiBlitz3 and all that require AGA only.....can I play a game trick...where I buy a TV card, install an RTG card...hook the RGB port from AGA into the TV card in my Amiga 4000D and install the VGA cable from the RTG card into the monitor and thus allows me to play AGA games and use RTG features into a normal monitor?

I thought someone did that before but I just want to confirm it.

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 04:09:08 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;761228
That is good to hear :) I have one final question to ask you however. You said all these ports require a 060 @ 80 Mhz at least with AGA and PAL only. I have an A4000D myself with a 040 @ 25 Mhz...can I just use RTG card instead and be able to run all your ports easily?

One final question. Is it cheaper to use an RTG card over buying an accelerator card that is 060 @ 80 Mhz and would the performance be the same if I use an RTG card on a 040 @ 25 verses a 060 @ 80 Mhz on AGA?

Hiya,

No Duke won't require an 80Mhz 060, it should still be playable on a slower 060 in AGA.  I've found that RTG doesn't actually give you much of a speed boost over AGA at these low resolutions (this is to do with the Amiga hardware design).

I'll probably do an 060 AGA build and an 040 RTG build.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline dante_oxyron

« Reply #29 from previous page: March 25, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »
Have you tried to build your port with different target cpu options?  On my A4000 with 68060 my port of duke3d is running (at least a little bit) faster if build with -m68030 -m68882 instead of -m68060. It seems the emulation of the missing opcodes through a patcher (i'm still using oxypatcher, but others should work well too) is slightly faster than whatever gcc tries to do....