Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yup, I just banned him...  (Read 16249 times)

Description:

Offline J-GoldenTopic starter

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Yup, I just banned him...
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »
Commodorejohn has been banned for a week.  I did it.  I'll do it again too.

I have had enough crap from people who run roughshod over the TOS, the Mods and the owners.  A.ORG used to be a place where people got together and talked about almost everything with like minded people.  Now it is the, "Troll Place" as a friend called it.

Seriously,if you want to be snide, mean spirited, belligerent, passive aggressive, a jerk, an instigator or anything else that detracts from the forum, go away!  Go to Moonbunny or whatever.

A.ORG will only be as good as it's members.  We still have a lot of good ones, but we used to have tons!  So many members have been driven away by hostile posts and replies.

So no polls on how we can make the site better or change the moderation.  No more, "Let me explain my feelings on how I mod" discousions.  We all agreed to the TOS when we first signed up and since we are also grownups, we should also have the wherewithal to treat each other with respect.
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
Re: Yup, I just banned him...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
That's awesome!  :razz:
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Bamiga2002

• Show only replies by Bamiga2002
    • http://rutinskiband.net
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
Cool! Please ban more people, thank you! :pint:
commodorejohn had such bad opinions and all, useless I'd say. He deservers a perma-ban! Even suggesting that some car-thingy threads don't belong here is bad...BAD!

Yeah, you read between the lines...or not.
CD32
A500

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 12:11:50 PM »
This thread gloating about it does nothing to allay my personal discomfort about the lack of quality (and by this I mean consistency, not high/low quality) wrt moderation on this site.

Singling out a member and publicising the moderator action in this way smacks of making an example out of someone.
Frankly, whilst the 'waste-of'space thread was pointless, it wasn't banning material - let alone justify a moderator flaming a member (who can't even respond dure to that mod's ban) on a public forum.

I have nothing against you personally J-Golden, but this action (the ban) appears hot-headed and capricious, and this thread just seems to be kicking a man when he's down.

@Moderator team

PS - Before I also get banned for discussing/criticising a moderator decision in a public forum, consider the OP and the Topic.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:17:19 PM by Boot_WB »
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline crawff

• Show only replies by crawff
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »
I don't understand the point of a 1 week ban, it's not like he will suddenly change his views or behaviour when he returns?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »
Quote from: crawff;749973
I don't understand the point of a 1 week ban, it's not like he will suddenly change his views or behaviour when he returns?

Not only if one week makes sense... the way it was published as "news" is, to say it politely,a little strange. Then when I stand up can I publish it as news too? And when one person attacked in public he should have a chance to defend himself.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »
How great of you to ban him, announcing the decision publicly without letting him answer to it. He's one of the few members I feel I can engage with in a debate without having my arguments being totally misrepresented, and while I don't always agree with him, his elaborate perspective is valuable in threads that would only otherwise only end up being a lot of back-patting or polarized flamewars.

What exactly did you ban him for?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »
Quote from: Linde;749975
How great of you to ban him, announcing the decision publicly without letting him answer to it. He's one of the few members I feel I can engage with in a debate without having my arguments being totally misrepresented, and while I don't always agree with him, his elaborate perspective is valuable in threads that would only otherwise only end up being a lot of back-patting or polarized flamewars.

What exactly did you ban him for?

"So no polls on how we can make the site better or change the moderation. No more, "Let me explain my feelings on how I mod" discousions."

It seems he had critisized the moderation and/or certain moderators...

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
There was a time when I came to Amiga.org everyday and would try to join in conversations. Now I can't be that bothered. This thread to me says everything about why

Offline mrmoonlight

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
I Like it on this Forum and I do think there is still loads of folk who contribute so much and there is interesting reads and discussions to be had ,I know what bad is I was once on a electric bike forum where a group of members would constantly insult you and if that did not work ,would insult your Family I finally left in dismay when the wonderful  disabled athletes  came under verbal attack  ,oh how I love it on here ,still there has to be rules and proud to be a part of Amiga org,best wishes Brian.
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »
As a child of the '60s and '70s, I have always appreciated a  little dissent and disregard for authority.

Having been banned before, I would not be surprised were I to be banned again in the future.

You folks all act like this is some kid's club and you can just revoke someone's access to to tree house.

It is childish on all sides and I am disappointed in CommodoreJohn and J-Golden.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
What has John done that deserved a ban?

It surely must have been something really bad because other members have been allowed to get away with extremely offensive posts recently.

While I haven't always seen eye to eye with John I've never seen him post anything offensive.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »
Meh, this is what happens when you take a dump in a subforum you don't care for.

As for this thread, I don't see it really helping...

Offline Retrofan

• Show only replies by Retrofan
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
"Yup, I just banned him..."

Very ugly to open a thread just to show your power to bann us all :rtfm:, and where he can't open his mouth. I agree with the most of the people here :(.

If you had to make it, just do it and put an edit on his last post or something, do not open a thread, and less the kind of this.

"You folks all act like this is some kid's club and you can just revoke someone's access to to tree house." . I totally agree.

If I were a global moderator I would close this thread.
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 01:55:22 PM »
What Retrofan said. You must really be very proud of your moderation skills, eh? So much as to shout it out too...
If that's the case, can i please have a ban myself too? I'll really enjoy it!
I'm with CommodoreJohn on this.