Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cross Platform Programming  (Read 2531 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Cross Platform Programming
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:51:16 AM »
Outside of Hollywood, how could some one make software that can be relatively easy to port from platform to platform?

I know this is an old topic.
Is there any reason why software can not be made for Amiga os anymore?
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline NovaCoder

Re: Cross Platform Programming
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »
I think you mean languages, in which case, yes lots of languages are portable and are supported on AmigaOS (classic).   The most common example is good on C, which in theory is protable by just a recompile (not actually true of course but it's a good story).

And yes new AmigaOS software is still being 'made'.

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:09:27 AM »
Thanks, I know that Amiga OS4.X software is being made. How about classic?
Is there a way to go from Aros or Linux to Classic fairly easy?
I feel Hollywood was a good idea and maybe Xamos is a possible answer.

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:30:41 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;734853
Is there a way to go from Aros or Linux to Classic fairly easy?
I feel Hollywood was a good idea and maybe Xamos is a possible answer.

No, like I said it's not really that easy to do cross platform programming.   If I take a program written in C for Unix then sure I can get it working on Classic but only after replacing all the Unix specific functions, fixing up endian issues and replacing input, sound and video for AmigaOS equivalents.

Trouble with things like Holywood and SDL is that they are high level by design, this is fine if you have a lot to cycles to play with but on real classic hardware it's just too slow.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:28 AM »
I see. That takes me to an Emulator, but why not just use an Amiga or clone. :)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »
When Novacoder says "AmigaOS" he means not "AmigaOS 4.X" :-)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:06:33 AM »
I think PortablE supports different platforms, then VBCC has different targets too (not AROS though) and then of course AmiDevCPP. And there is FreePascal but only different implementations (AROS version is the newest). Amiblitz now works everywhere (as far as I know) including AROS 68k (that is my personal favorite)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:10:53 AM by OlafS3 »

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
How would the FPGA-Arcade (Replay) fair as a dev. platform?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
AROS 68k was already running on Arcade but I do not know the situation now because Jason is very busy right now. But I assume it will run on it (at least as one option). The Tina project even makes marketing on their site with AROS Vision :-). So it is common for both new platforms. Generally I think Amiblitz is easier to learn and perfect for 68k but of course not for AmigaOS or MorphOS. So if you want to make 68k programs and want to have something that is easy to learn, offers full system support (68k) and that also runs in most cases on other platforms I think it is a good option. If your main target are MorphOS or AmigaOS a crosscompiler like AmidevCPP (C) is the better option (harder to learn of course). Amiblitz was used for lots of different projects including commercial games so it is certainly not a bad choice. One example for applications developed with Amiblitz is HD-Rec. And it is still in development.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:28:05 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »
Download Amiblitz from sourceforge and test it. There are examples in it including 3D Cube using Stormmesa and at least on my emulated system it runs like hell :-). I have not done that much with Hollywood (yet) but I think it is basic "inspired". So it is easier to learn another basic than jumping to C. XAMOS development is stopped atm.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
Thanks, I need to pick up Amiga Forever 2013. edit:
I miss having it.
I miss new hardware more.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:44:12 AM by trekiej »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
AF?

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
Quote from: trekiej;734869
Thanks, I need to pick up Amiga Forever 2013. edit:
I miss having it.
I miss new hardware more.

ah I see. Amiga Forever is one good option. And Aros 68k another one. And for real hardware there is now FPGA Arcade (and hopefully even better hardware in future)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
even from a commercial view is 68k the best option right now (most users and developers, most software including compilers, most documentation, running almost everywhere including Android). That "might" change with a native Raspberry AROS version but that is not reality right now. AROS 68k is even used in Icaros and Aeros for 68k emulation so 68k offers the biggest base. Only if you want to use specific features of f.e. AmigaOS (4.X) or MorphOS you have to use real crossplatform compilers for development.