Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga OS 4.0 on Laptop  (Read 7686 times)

Description:

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
Re: Amiga OS 4.0 on Laptop
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
Quote from: lassie;709181
Hi can i get Amiga OS 4.0 to run on my laptop? It is an Acer and has Windows 7

No OS4 on a laptop.

You may try AROS on your Acer. Or if you get hold of a Powerbok you may try MorphOS on that. With OS4 there's no way to use it on a laptop. The mysterious OS4 netbook (aka the Limebook) is probably vapor only and ridiculously underpowered anyway.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

Not possible with OS4, but you can run AROS (with seamless UAE )  either as native or hosted on Win7.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
Quote from: lassie;709184
That was a shame. What do i need to get it? i thought i could emulate it
i suggest if you're interested in next-generation amiga computing, you visit a site that hasn't been taken over completely by whack-jobs and ask your question there, such as amigaworld.net or amigans.net. you can also visit the official amigaOS website for a basic introduction or intuitionbase.com.

there are loads of other sites, too. just search on the 'net. :)

now to try and answer your question directly: there are plenty of both new and used next-gen amiga systems which run amigaOS 4.x for you to choose from.  among the systems shipping today include the amigaone X1000 at the high-end and the amigaone 500 in the middle.  both offer good performance but are a tad pricey.  moreover although they both support much newer technologies than any other amiga NG systems -- such as PCIe-hosted radeonHD video cards -- those cards don't currently have working 3D support, so you'd have to wait for OS4.2 for that.

other systems include the SAM440ep-flex boards, which can be had new for under e300. those systems work quite well, but are quite a bit slower than modern PC hardware or indeed any of the other amiga NG systems. i have one, and really enjoy it for playing games, watching standard-resolution videos, and the like. web browsing is a bit poky, though, in my experience.

then you have systems from the previous generation of amiga NG machines.  the amigaone XE is a good option, but you need to be careful. a few of these boards had hardware issues, so only purchase one if the seller is someone well-known in the community.  a mini-ITX version, the micro-A1, is a lovely little board, but unfortunately you're limited to only 32MB of video memory, so using it with a huge display is a bit tough.  and of course there is the pegasos2 board from genesi, which i also have.  a good compromise and all-rounder, the G4-based board works great as a next-gen amiga and can also run linux, morphos, and even older versions of mac OS X.

you might find this comparison table useful in your investigations.

lastly there was a netbook announced at amiwest last year which would ship for around $400USD inclusive; we haven't heard anything since, though, so keep your eyes and ears open as news from amiwest 2012 trickles in next month.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »
Quote from: Duce;709206
You didn't answer my question though, TMHG.

I've been itching to reg MOS on my PB, as I do really enjoy the OS and heartily recommend it to anyone who will listen - is inbuilt wifi supported?

A laptop I need to plug into ethernet is effectively a paperweight to me.
no, it isn't; at least not yet. neither is 3D graphics supported either with the R300 chipsets. both are coming eventually, though.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »

I've been itching to reg MOS on my PB, as I do really enjoy the OS and heartily recommend it to anyone who will listen - is inbuilt wifi supported?

Not yet

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
Super, thanks a bunch, Dan.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »
You didn't answer my question though, TMHG.

Krashan did, in the post following right after yours, so why should I? ;)

Quote from: danwood;709207
If you want "Amiga NG" with Laptop support, your best option is MorphOS on a Mac PowerBook (PPC).

:)
Or AROS of course

Yes of course, AROS on a virtual machine. However, while similar in some ways (most prominently the 3.1 legacy background and API), AROS is something different than what both OS4 and MorphOS is today and aims to be, not only philosophically, but also technologically; it doesn't play in the same league! Please note that I'm not saying it's bad/worse or anything like that, not at all, I'm not saying you can't have fun with AROS, not at all (so please don't try to make it like I would be flaming AROS here, that's not what it's about), just that there are fundamental differences, and if you are talking about "Best option for Amiga NG with Laptop support in the context of what OS4 is [hence also MorphOS but not AROS]" (which kind of is what you commented on above, as well as the OP question), then the answer can *only* be MorphOS on a PowerBook! And that's even before you start considering the actual features of the various OS's; OS4 simply lacks all kind of laptop support and AROS doesn't qualify the conditions of the quote(*). Then of course, if you start comparing the actual features of the OS's, the "your best option" only becomes more obvious!

(* = Edited for clarity)

Quote from: lassie;709202
Yes that helps, many thanks :)

Glad I could help, good luck!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:32:15 PM by takemehomegrandma »
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
We see the question in post #1:

Hi can i get Amiga OS 4.0 to run on my laptop?

Then we see an answer, which starts from:

now to try and answer your question directly:

After that, we read three lenghty paragraphs about six computers (three with links), none of which even resembles a laptop. AmigaOS 4 marketing at its best :-). But hey, finally we can learn that...

there was a netbook announced at amiwest last year which would ship for around $400USD inclusive; we haven't heard anything since

So, after all we know what the direct answer is. Anyway, don't forget that MorphOS does not yet support AirPort module in PowerBooks, and incoming 3D support for its Radeon 9700 chip must be vapourware. :roflmao:

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;709216
OS4 simply lacks all kind of laptop support and AROS doesn't qualify the conditions of the question.

I really hate to say this, TMHG, but you need to read better. :)

The original question was:

and it included this qualifier:
It is an Acer and has Windows 7

That means the answer "can *only* be" AROS, not MorphOS and not OS 4.0.

And bear in mind, I support BOTH AROS and MorphOS. The only reason I don't support OS 4.0 is because total cost of ownership is just too damn pricey.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:06:11 PM by EDanaII »
Ed.

Offline hbarcellos

• Show only replies by hbarcellos
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Emulation IS possible. Some users with patience and skills enough have already tweaked a version of QEMU (http://wiki.qemu.org) to run it.
PearPC should also be easy to tweak in order to run AOS.
The problem is that no one would give you (or me) that version of QEMU, and if you're crazy enough to code it by yourself, you'll be crucified by several users only by telling the community you have it.

The best way to try something Amiga-like (IMHO) is to buy a 2nd hand Powerbook G4 and wait for the release of MorphOS 3d and internal wireless drivers...
}~ A1200 - Apollo 68040 - HOTLY running OS 3.1
}~ Powerbook G4 1.67 running MorphOS 3.2 without Wifi.
}~ Powermac Quicksilver 933 with Radeon 9600 XT (r300) LOUDLY running MorphOS 3.2
}~ [MY iOS GAME]: http://goo.gl/S9nWB (Amiga users can get it FREE[/color], just ask me)

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;709219
I really hate to say this, TMHG, but you need to read better. :)

So do you, or more specifically you need to pay attention to following the comments in the discussion as it evolves, since your comment would suit the OP but not as a comment to my post:  

OS4 doesn't support *any* laptop. It doesn't support no x86 machines either.

Best option for Amiga NG with Laptop support in the context of what OS4 is

OS4 ~ MorphOS != AROS

;)

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
@TMHG

"OS4 ~ MorphOS != AROS"

Yes you are right. Aros runs natively on classic hardware without needing additional PPC or used Macs so Aros is different to OS4 and MorphOS :razz:

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 04:11:31 PM »

There is allegedly a netbook mini laptop in the works, allegedly for release in 2012. I think we were originally to expect that to come out this past summer. I'm looking forward to whenever it actually does come out.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
But it is still not his Notebook but a new and different hardware

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
@EDanaII

Just as a follow-up:

Re-reading the OP once again, I guess you can have two points of view/focuses for interest:

• Hardware focus:
    - The most important thing to you is x86 hardware, preferably HW you already own
    - The OS must be free of charge
    - The OS must be open source
    - The OS is of less importance, but an OS that in some way resembles the Amiga instead of being just another Linux distro would be nice

- Then the answer can *only* be AROS, and you install your virtual machine hosted AROS distro!
  • Amiga (NG) focus:
    - The most important thing is the OS (like the level of Amiga compatibility, features, what Amiga standards/API's it includes (CGX, MUI, Poseidon, etc), the user environment (Ambient), stability, evolution, old/new application symbiosis, etc)
    - It is of less importance whether your hobby costs some money
    - It is of less importance whether it's closed source

- Then the answer can *only* be MorphOS, and you start here to write a shopping list, then head over here to shop.
If you choose to pay more attention to the second part of the OP post, then you have a x86 HW focus. You did that.
If you choose to pay more attention to the first part of the OP post, then you have an Amiga/OS focus. I did that.

Both can of course be "right for you", it's a matter of Point of View and what's most important to you.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:58:34 PM by takemehomegrandma »

Offline spirantho

« Reply #29 from previous page: September 24, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;709227

- Then the answer can *only* be MorphOS

Or AmigaOS 4.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :) But it's up to the OP whether he prefers AOS or MOS... but saying it's *only* MorphOS - well, even you must admit that that's not true!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!