Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini  (Read 21458 times)

Description:

Offline Magitius

• Show only replies by Magitius
Re: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini
« Reply #239 from previous page: March 29, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »
Quote from: persia;685978
The new Beetle is built by Volkswagen and is a continuation of the Beetle line.  Volkswagen did not go bankrupt, have it's name sold at a fire sale to a totally unrelated company in another country, which then licensed the name to eight different car companies, the last of which decided to put an old beetle body around a golf cart and call it original.

I don't think average Joe cares, it reads "Commodore Amiga" and they're going to sell a good number of those branded golf carts anyways.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #240 on: March 29, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
Quote from: Bamiga2002;685964
Think about the possibility of "Apollo" going 2-3Ghz (or more!) ASIC some day (hello Thierry! ;)). The 68k-architechture would get a super speed boost!
And it's also cool the 68k is further enchanced by the Natami-team :)
Well, let's not get too far off into dreamland here, but it would be neat to see it running in proper silicon someday :)

Quote from: Magitius;685973
Well, just like you would use a car, many will use a computer. A Commodore Amiga computer even...but so, enthusiasts will always have their special thing and be proud of it, but general public uses a pc Amiga as a tool to get the job done. Commodore USA is not about retro hobby market, it's about making real business with a little bit of that Commodore spirit. And no other modern pc computer manufacturer offers a single bit of that spirit.
That is absolutely untrue. (For one thing, if CUSA is "not about the retro hobby market" as they've continually claimed, they sure do a lot of promoting to it. Almost like they can't sell to anyone else...) There is nothing Commodore, spirit or otherwise, about this outfit or their products. They don't embody anything about what made the machines good, or even any of the things that made the company successful (vertical integration, competitive pricing.) Nothing whatsoever.

Quote from: Digiman;685979
What we need is either a port of OS4 to x86 64 and 32bit flavour with multithreading and multiprocessing Kernal. Or Amithlon+++ with the same.
If it were that simple to support SMP on the Amiga OS, they'd have done it already. The problem of the whole system being a free-for-all of pointers passed around like needles at a junkie convention and that being the entire basis for the message-passing system isn't just going to go away because you picked a different CPU to do it on.

Quote from: Digiman;685986
But between A1000 and A4000 they made no improvement to the machines A/V until 1991. Improvements like more colours on screen in 320x200, more blitter bandwidth, HAM8. All could have been done before A500+. Sound was never improved, even dual Paula config would have been welcome in AGA.

Commodore failed to realise they were fighting two fronts. Mac+PC for £2000+ and £150 SNES+SEGA and finally. More money was lost to console sales than 486PC Doom £1000 setups, and by 1988/9 there were non x86 computers/consoles with 256 colours vs the A500 using 2.5 year old A1000 chipset for 5 years was a joke! (and a pig ugly case)
Oh, no argument there (well, except that I like the A500's case,) my point was just that holding up the eventual introduction of an autoconfiguring expansion bus to the PC world as The Very Reason that PCs won out is silly when (A) that didn't even happen until after Commodore was gone and (B) the Amiga had one from the get-go. I will in no way dispute that Commodore's post-OCS R&D sucked.

(Oh, also, saying the TG16 had 256 colors is a bit of a stretch - it had 16 palettes of 16 colors, not a true 256-color mode.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:01:47 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #241 on: March 29, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;685853

Lets just say it sounds like Hermans, but it doesn't mean that his opinion is a realistic representation of the actual rights of Hyperion.

Sure, I may not be Staf, you may not be Iggy and Hyperionmp may not be Ben.
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »
Quote from: Fats;686049
Sure, I may not be Staf, you may not be Iggy and Hyperionmp may not be Ben.
Staf.

You're probably right Staf. Sounds like Ben, smells like Ben.
Good thing we didn't step in it. :roflmao:

And he does like litigation.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #244 on: March 31, 2012, 04:43:18 AM »
Add this to the list of nostalgia-baiting remakes that don't live up to their inspiration.
Ah, that warms my heart, it does...
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #245 on: March 31, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »
Quote from: Transition;686190
Slashdot covered the Amiga Mini announcement.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/03/22/1241200/amiga-returns-with-lackluster-linux-powered-mini-pc

I loved the first comment on /.

"This is not Commodore, this is not the Amiga. This is a "

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #246 on: April 02, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685999

(Oh, also, saying the TG16 had 256 colors is a bit of a stretch - it had 16 palettes of 16 colors, not a true 256-color mode.)

Ahh no I was thinking 1987 Acorn Archimedes (256/4096 colours) and the SAM coupe(ZX Spectrum compatible with 256/256 SNES style mode). Unreleased include Commodore 65 and Konix console chipsets. Even if they just made EHB a bit faster it would have helped IMO

@The comment about OS4 x86 via PPC emulator/PPC Amithlon is the short term solution. A full rewrite in pure X86 is needed after (free upgrade). But hell the fastest i7 mb+cpu setup is peanuts compared to SAM 460 mb+cpu.

Is OS4 good enough? Can't say as I never had £1000+ to waste on a slow CPU+mb :roflmao:

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #247 on: April 02, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »
i7 isn't going to get you much over a single-core CPU, though, when the OS can't do SMP - not unless you figure out a way to efficiently parallelize emulation of a single CPU across multiple cores.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:59 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;686617
i7 isn't going to get you much over a single-core CPU, though, when the OS can't do SMP - not unless you figure out a way to efficiently parallelize emulation of a single CPU across multiple cores.

Yes, this is a good point,
When I built an AROS system I used a single core Athlon 64 and overclocked it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »
Quote from: darkage;686194
I loved the first comment on /.

"This is not Commodore, this is not the Amiga. This is a "

hands down, this one is the best : http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2740745&cid=39439549

:)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:23:33 PM by orange »
Better sorry than worry.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2012, 01:08:10 AM »
I can't stand apple products but this statement over at slashdot is priceless!

"Know what else has a Core i7 processor? a Mac Mini.
They  only have 4GB of memory by default, but at $999 you can get one with  dual 7200rpm 500GB hard drives, Intel HD 3000 graphics, and a copy of  Lion Server. There's no bluray, but it's also less than half the price  of this Amiga DOA box.
When your product is a less attractive  knockoff of an Apple design and somehow you manage to more than double  an Apple price... I'm guessing your future does not include being filthy  stinking rich."
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2012, 03:52:30 AM »
Why this thread has 9k views is beyond my understanding.. once again i ask who cares about one person's opinion?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2012, 04:32:18 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;686714
Why this thread has 9k views is beyond my understanding.. once again i ask who cares about one person's opinion?
Well, you, for one...