Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini  (Read 21602 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: Takers - One Woman's Opinion of the Amiga Mini
« Reply #209 from previous page: March 28, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;685777
What's really funny is my £500 PC has better sound and 3D graphics capability than their Amiga Mini :roflmao:
Quote from: Middleman;685834
Exactly! And you wonder why…..because the PC clone had 'inadvertently' over the years, become what the Amiga should have been…
And the award for "not reading the sentence fully and thus missing the point hilariously" goes to...Middleman!

..have fully open architecture, meaning the ability to upgrade parts on a constant basis (and now cheaply) via ISA/PCI giving the user flexibility.
...wha...? Are you even reading what you're writing? God knows I love old-ass PCs, but seriously, holding up ISA, with its jumper configurations and interrupt conflicts, as an example!? PCI is more like it, but let's take a moment and note that the Amiga had an autoconfiguring expansion bus a decade before PCI came out. And what the hell can't you upgrade in an Amiga? The one irreplacable bottleneck is the actual bus itself, and that's no less true on any PC you care to show me.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Middleman
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685835
And the award for "not reading the sentence fully and thus missing the point hilariously" goes to...Middleman!

Damn, how could I miss it?! :rofl: That Mini really is tiny :biglaugh:

Quote from: commodorejohn;685835

...wha...? Are you even reading what you're writing? God knows I love old-ass PCs, but seriously, holding up ISA, with its jumper configurations and interrupt conflicts, as an example!? PCI is more like it, but let's take a moment and note that the Amiga had an autoconfiguring expansion bus a decade before PCI came out. And what the hell can't you upgrade in an Amiga? The one irreplacable bottleneck is the actual bus itself, and that's no less true on any PC you care to show me.

Well I put that up as an example because we didn't have PCI properly until into the mid 90s. It's for those who want to nitpick things historically. If I'd had said PCI they may have said 'No, ISA came before that! :laugh1:

Well you'd probably like to know, but I'd just been contacted by Barry with a special message for you all. He gave me permission to send you this post which may surprise you...:

From Barry:

Please post this in reply to VOX's recent post. It was actually posted a while ago, but it got lost and no one really even commented except maybe one comment. It is very important that these "opposition" camps to realize that most of what they think our intentions are, are really incorrect, I think this statement, which has been on our site from day one, needs to be posted as a very important FACT regarding our intentions, our outlook on the future, and most importantly, our desire to engage all the factions, and try to bring consolidation to a very disjointed community. Only through civil dialog can this be achieved. Yes, we did have some missteps early on. We are human..and share your passion and zeal. Lets try to focus now on what can realistically be accomplished, and finally end all this insane behavior...and move forward. I'm ready...are you?

DIRECT QUOTE FROM COMMODORE USA WEBSITE, SOFTWARE PAGE, COMMODORE OS VISION:
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS_Vision.aspx

Commodore OS Vision is not a derivative of the original AmigaOS developed for 68K microprocessor computers in the 1980's, but an entirely modern operating system based on GNU/Linux. If you are interested in running a derivative of the original AmigaOS you may consider the following projects: AmigaOS4 by Hyperion Entertainment B.V., which runs on PPC products such as Acube's SAM and Aeon's X1000 computer; AROS a free open source implementation by Team AROS, which runs on x86 architecture (like Commodore USA's); MorphOS, a commercial implementation by MorphOS Team, which runs on PPC architecture such as assorted PPC Apple Macintosh models. Commodore USA, LLC has no affiliation with any of these projects, companies or products.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »
Well, color me amazed, it's a clear and straightforward statement of fact from Barry! Of course, it's a statement of facts we already knew...

Gotta love the "oh, can all you rabble just move on as we Enlightened Ones are doing" talk.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2012, 05:48:43 PM »

Quote from: Middleman;685834
It doesn't have to be…..Commodore and Amiga can still come back in a big way with your help.

If the various camps work together on a really good plan, the old girl can finally come off the table and stand on her own hind legs…for instance funding AROS/Amiga case moulds, special projects, porting AOS to x86; developing a newPaula/new boards etc. This is just the beginning of the revamp…. :)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:06:27 PM by persia »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;685677
Again, I don't remember that, just the stipulation that Amiga Inc. could not develop an AmigaOS like product.

Don't know how you interpret this statement from Ben Hermans?
Don't find a reference to the settlement documents anymore but if I remember well it handled about the use of the Amiga trademark and was not only valid for Amiga Inc.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2012, 07:35:01 PM »
Quote from: Fats;685848
Don't know how you interpret this statement from Ben Hermans?
Don't find a reference to the settlement documents anymore but if I remember well it handled about the use of the Amiga trademark and was not only valid for Amiga Inc.

greets,
Staf.

Sorry Staf, All I see is "Hyperionmp".
That could be anyone.
There's no way to confirm it as actually being Ben.
Although Ben has a past history of making rash, unsupportable comments about others.

Lets just say it sounds like Hermans, but it doesn't mean that his opinion is a realistic representation of the actual rights of Hyperion.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »
I don't understand why anyone would want the old brands to come back.  They're just trademarks.  It's the combination of unique hardware and software that made my childhood computer so great, and that magic is gone forever.

I wouldn't expect Beatles fans to get excited about some bush league garage band bringing back the name, regardless of the quality of their music, because that would be straight up retarded.  And yet, here we are.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2012, 12:37:33 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;685883
I don't understand why anyone would want the old brands to come back.  They're just trademarks.  It's the combination of unique hardware and software that made my childhood computer so great, and that magic is gone forever.

I wouldn't expect Beatles fans to get excited about some bush league garage band bringing back the name, regardless of the quality of their music, because that would be straight up retarded.  And yet, here we are.
This has always baffled me as well. It's like the Holy Name is so valuable that it legitimizes quite literally anything it's attached to. I mean, some people around here were taking iContain seriously when it had the "Amiga" named tacked to it. I've joked before about shelling out to Uncle Bill to license the trademarks for such things as Amiga tampons, but I find myself having to wonder whether some folks wouldn't actually buy in, just for the sake of The Name...

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2012, 12:39:04 AM »
One thing for sure the new Amiga's will get, is that it won't lose out any longer to the development of computers over the last 20 years since Commodore went down. With the highest level of software compatibility, including the work done on emulation and OSes, you'll get an Amiga that can run all of the games and stuff including tech that is now available. I can't think of a more compelling reason to get Kinect say on an Amiga say for a 3D game from EA...

People keep saying an Amiga shouldn't be an x86 system, but I think otherwise. Packaged with the right software and hardware combinations including case designs, it'll be a killer I think...with a nostalgic name to boot...

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
Quote from: Middleman;685886
One thing for sure the new Amiga's will get, is that it won't lose out any longer to the development of computers over the last 20 years since Commodore went down.
In the same way that if you buy a Scion xB and scrawl "Studebaker" on the side with a crayon, it's a new, updated Studebaker, sure...

With the highest level of software compatibility, including the work done on emulation and OSes, you'll get an Amiga that can run all of the games and stuff including tech that is now available.
The only "work" CUSA has done on "emulation and OSes" is throwing a handful of preexisting desktop components on top of Mint in an attempt to make it look like OSX, and bundling Amiga Forever. If that's "work," me screwing around with XFCE for an afternoon is about equal to "developing a custom OS." Oh hey, I think I just figured out the next revision of "Commodore OS"!

People keep saying an Amiga shouldn't be an x86 system, but I think otherwise. Packaged with the right software and hardware combinations including case designs, it'll be a killer I think...with a nostalgic name to boot...
Even putting aside the x86 debate, that's a whole lot of talking out of your ass. There's no case design, nostalgic or otherwise, going on here - they buy an existing Mac Mini knock-off and etch a name on it. Big freaking deal. Their "hardware and software combinations" are generic i3 and i7 setups that they can't even figure out the power requirements for (and that should probably never have seen the inside of an HTPC case to begin with,) slapped with a lightly-customized Mint and a bundle of a bundle of UAE. And the only sense in which any of this is "killer" is in relation to one's wallet.

I never thought it would be possible, but they somehow managed to come up with a product even less enthusing than the C64x...

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2012, 01:05:23 AM »
x86 beats PPC hands down for performance, but it's not the only one that does.  Frankly, the endian issue makes x86 and ARM unattractive for running the old software.  Where will new software come from?

I'm watching the Apollo core (formerly N68070) from the NatAmi team.  Its opcode fusion feature will allow old software to gain new performance without recompiling at all.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:07:47 AM by SamuraiCrow »

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2012, 01:29:50 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;685549
It was just a trick, CeCe, to get you to come back, 'cos all us "old-schoolers" missed you. ;P

In fact, it made me realize that you weren't around much, anymore, when people started mentioning you.

I am still convinced it was one of the Annex girls. XD
har har

I AM busy these days but I drop in every once in a while.   :juggler:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Middleman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2012, 01:35:18 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;685890
Even putting aside the x86 debate, that's a whole lot of talking out of your ass. There's no case design, nostalgic or otherwise, going on here - they buy an existing Mac Mini knock-off and etch a name on it. Big freaking deal. Their "hardware and software combinations" are generic i3 and i7 setups that they can't even figure out the power requirements for (and that should probably never have seen the inside of an HTPC case to begin with,) slapped with a lightly-customized Mint and a bundle of a bundle of UAE. And the only sense in which any of this is "killer" is in relation to one's wallet.

Try here... >http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/3-suggestion-box/8536-under-construction-new-cusa-website?limit=15&start=30#8782

Posted by digitex aka Barry

'Mike, Middleman, etc...
RE: AMIGA AIO keyboard computer.
1. won't be replica. No plans for any more replica cases (at least for now, and in the foreseeable future)
2. it will be forum member rgmarett's idea of a new Amiga 500 replacement, only modified to allow for the hardware height requirements.
3. it will have a full qwerty kb, with numerics
3. looking at 1st or 2nd qtr 2012 time frame.'

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2012, 01:52:07 AM »
Yeah, and rgmarett's idea is, while a lovely rendering, nothing more than a picture of a case design that's a lightly-modified A1200, with no information whatsoever about what's inside. (So much for "not a replica!") Get back to me if it turns out to be something other than a bog-standard PC board running a lightly-customized Mint or priced anywhere even remotely close to what a similarly-specced machine can be had for anywhere else.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2012, 08:56:06 AM »
Quote from: Middleman;685632
Well I'm happy to report that a little birdy told me the new Amiga Mini has been doing great. Sales of both barebones and built systems are doing well....

Birdie never reveals figures and expectations, but business intended positive emotions to keep motivation up.

Its nice for birdie, but there are other tunes to sing too ...
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline Yasu

• Show only replies by Yasu
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;685883

Word! Let the classic Amigas stay classic. I want my Workbench 3.1 to work on A1200 and my AOS 4.x to work on new hardware! :)