Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is anybody thinking about joining the Rebellion (Pegasos/MOS)?  (Read 7499 times)

Description:

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
Re: Is anybody thinking about joining the Rebellion (Pegasos/MOS)?
« Reply #74 from previous page: November 17, 2002, 11:25:54 PM »
"2) The only thing running on the A1 is ExecSG which is useless on its own. I think people are far too optimistic regarding how long it will take for the complete OS to be ported. Even when it is there is little telling what percentage of the OS will be native. MacOS was LESS dependent on specialized chips than AmigaOS and it took many years for a fully PowerPC version to surface."

i would not complare the porting of MacOS to PPC with the porting of AmigaOs to ppc.

as they are nothing alike & the sizes of the oses are nothing alike.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline zudobug

• Show only replies by zudobug
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2002, 11:31:55 PM »
Hey mips_proc,

You say the dongle is the most flakey form of anti-piracy.  I don't believe that is true. Surely those wheel things that came with monkey island games or entering a word from a certain page of the manual is slightly more flakey..? Or what about those lens things that you hold up to the screen to see two letters in the scrambled mess of pixels? I had a paint program on the spectrum (which also came with a mouse!) that had one of those things.  The thing is it never worked properly and it would take 2-3 attempts to get into the program.  (joke)Please Amiga Inc, drop the dongle thing and use that bloody lens system instead.  Just to piss everyone off a little bit more.(/joke)

It's true that most dongles in the past have been fairly easy to crack, but if a dongle is done right, it can be unbeatable!  Especially if the dongle contains crucial elements of the code so that nothing works without it and also uses a strong ecryption method.

Also, do you know how much cheaper the Linux-Dev version of the boards from Eyetech will cost?  I've had a quick look at the site and I can't find anything.  Is it really much cheaper??? If yes, why hasn't anyone complained?

-zudo
Realtime amiga.org chatting on irc.synirc.net - #amiga.org and #coffeehouse

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2002, 11:32:26 PM »
i would not complare the porting of MacOS to PPC with the porting of AmigaOs to ppc.

as they are nothing alike & the sizes of the oses are nothing alike.

Indeed, MacOS is LESS dependent on specialized chips.

As for size the toolbox was quite small. Are you implying AmigaOS was smaller? They were both designed to fit on a ROM.

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2002, 11:55:23 PM »
You say the dongle is the most flakey form of anti-piracy.

It most certinly is... I've been useing NewTek Lightwave for years...has their dongle stopped anything?...nope

same with Scala's? did it work? nope... I've yet to see a dongle system work..

as for the price of the dev boards... It's roughly 200 cheaper IIRC...

A.inc's dongle system is just a system to keep AOS off hardware suchas Pegasos or Mac's... because they get more money from you if you buy the A1 or other systems....
I hope they wise up and give the community and computer world as large a chance to see AOS on at least generic PPC hardware....and not this romed/dongled box....
If they dont I agree with strobe MorphOS it will be and that will be an end of it...

Offline zudobug

• Show only replies by zudobug
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2002, 12:15:00 AM »
mips_proc,

Ok, I see what you are getting at now.

If the dongle (am I the only one that thinks thats a silly name?) works, it's going to limit what OS4 will run on. (Is that truly the only limiting factor?)

If it doesn't work (and you are saying it won't) then many people will buy cheaper hardware and get hold of pirated copies of OS4 (!!! bastards !!!) just for kicks.

My thoughts on the price... Maybe Amiga Inc are getting quite a large sum of money per A1 board sold, but hey, they need it if you believe the rumours.  And am I wrong for thinking that OS4/AmigaOne is intended for people who want to get their AmigaOS fix asap, or developers, or people that don't like too much hardware choice?  Everybody else will just have to wait for OS5 if they want to run AmigaOS on a wider list of hardware... or did I miss something?

I'm confused. I'll sleep it off and see whats posted tomorrow.  Thanks in advance for your help.

-zudo

ps. Are you admitting to using pirated software? ;-)
Realtime amiga.org chatting on irc.synirc.net - #amiga.org and #coffeehouse

Offline Alkemyst

• Show only replies by Alkemyst
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2002, 12:25:07 AM »
"I hope they wise up and give the community and computer world as large a chance to see AOS on at least generic PPC"

what generic PPC are you on about ?

there aint any.

All there IS, is the AmigaOne,Pegasos,the amigappc cards out atm & Aos4 will run on all but the pegasos &
Mos will run on All but the Aone as things stand ATM. so there is no differnce ATM anyway.

& this talk about ruunig an a Mac was brought up by ppl wanting Aos4 first now MOS are saying the same thing.

untill it happends it means sh** to me as i have seen sooo many times about what will come out for this & that to the point that i dont care untill its here.

i will buy on what its got to offer now more than what it may have in a future.

if whats its got now is not good enough then dont even bother with it now, just wait untill its got what you want before buying it.

Even some of my old SW has said addon packs will be avaliable but did.

But did i really care, NO as i did not buy the damn game for the 8 more fighters to follow in the addon pack that never came out.

I bought the game for what did have.
PowerTower A1200,060/80Mhz,Heatsink&Fan,66MBRam,PowerFlyerGold,50xCDRomdrive,250Zip,2.1GB&34GB HD,internal Scandoubler & FF,19\\"Monitor,Mediator,Voodoo3-3000,PaceSolo 56k ,PortJnr2,ZEKeys-XS,SMON ,Os3.9

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2002, 01:12:20 AM »
@zudobug

If it doesn't work (and you are saying it won't) then many people will buy cheaper hardware and get hold of pirated copies of OS4

People will certainlly pirate OS4 for amigas what have those PPC card boards and as soon as someone cracks this magic dondle then it will be open to use the same hardware as the A1 but with the extra benefit of it being a lot cheaper,

anyone that seriously think these sort of anti-pirate measures will protect anything are misguided, just look at Sonys new protection which can be bypassed by using nothing other than a cheap felt tip pen (non permanant)

The only real way to stop piracy is to never release anything  :-D  :-D  :-D