Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is anybody thinking about joining the Rebellion (Pegasos/MOS)?  (Read 7492 times)

Description:

Re: Is anybody thinking about joining the Rebellion (Pegasos/MOS)?
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2002, 09:26:45 PM »
ne_one I agree entirely... sticking to PPC only is a dead end for anyone... that is very narrow minded and zealous of them and if they hope to have a real future they should move to hardware people can afford and will want to buy... that may happen in time... for now I think their doing an OK job.

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2002, 09:31:30 PM »
A1 is obsolete and pegasos ain't?

You crack me up mips...
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2002, 09:59:28 PM »
Both cards are ! "obsolete" but theyre both  a hell of a lot bether then what "Amiga users" have axxes to now if you dont count Amithlon or AROS! i have not seen OS4 yet nor have i seen a AmigaOne yet but i will end up buying them and check it out! i do however have a Pegasos in my hands and MorphOS! all i can say so far is that is has potential and that it has some nice things AmigaOS didnt have! BUT its nowere near a public release for end users in my eyes! ive had some weeks now to toy with it and its pretty buggy and lots of things are still not working yet! the Bios itself says version 0.1beta (and a lot of numbers more) and the OS itself is passed v1.0 already but it would NOT be if i were giving it version numbers! this IS beta software if not Alpha! and if MOS is so far ahead of OS4 as people keep saying i cant but wonder what state OS4 is in! in the end im happy with my purchase of the Pegasos and MOS! its a nice litle board (i just love not having to listen to all the fans making noise like in my PC) and ill keep on updating the OS untill its in the shape were its passed beta state! and if youre sick of waiting go ahead and buy one! its here now at least and its as much AmigaOS as OS4 is without the name! if youre not happy you can always sell it or wait for someone to hack OS4 to run on Pegasos if not Hyperion ports it themself.

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2002, 10:34:14 PM »
well Elektro lets assume I buy the solderd on A1.....and I decide I hate A1 and I want another board...but I dont want to pay the premium for Eyetech hardware....I cant go and get Pegasos with a g4 on it... I have the pay the premium...
their all obselete compared to PC"s...it's just a matter of how much the company is ripping you off and how obselete the hardware actually is...eyetech's is just the most extreme of the two and thus the one I would avoid... the reason it's bad is because once you pay for the A1 if you dont like it you're screwed since you cant put AOS4 onto anything except the A1... at least If you buy MorphOS you're able to adapt and change... with AOS you're stuck on one 'line' of boards...all seeming to be consistent crap... the XE has a 'little' respect of mine but it still costs more then the Peggy with a G4...

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2002, 10:36:00 PM »
I hear bleating. Could it be the PC sheep again? I really don't know why they bother coming to an Amiga site. Oh, I forgot - the PC has no community. Figures.

sticking to PPC only is a dead end for anyone... that is very narrow minded and zealous of them and if they hope to have a real future they should move to hardware people can afford and will want to buy...

It may be narrow minded, but at least it's showing some glimmer of independent thought, and a will to keep the Amiga apart from the scourge of computing - the corporations. Thinking suddenly changing AmigaOS to x86 will save it is both naive and selfish. You have PCs, run Windows on them like the were designed for and stop trying to drag us down with you. If the Amiga has to die, let it die with Intel and AMD on the outside.

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2002, 10:43:33 PM »
So where IS the ####ing G4 Pegasos? You go out and buy that, the rest go out and buy the G4 AmigaOne. See who gets delivered first.

And all this talk about how you have more choice with a Pegasos. What? Are you gonna buy a 1000$ computer and throw it in the trash to use the OS on your calculator or something? You need to start making some frigging sense, dude.

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2002, 10:48:24 PM »
>So where IS the ####ing G4 Pegasos? You go out
>and buy that, the rest go out and buy the G4
>AmigaOne. See who gets delivered first

Wonderful sentence. See you in Aachen ;)

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2002, 11:23:24 PM »
You have PCs, run Windows on them like the were designed for and stop trying to drag us down with you

drag you down?... hah... thats niave and selifish... thinking Amiga 'has' to stay PunyPC to keep bigots happy./

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2002, 11:24:54 PM »
And all this talk about how you have more choice with a Pegasos. What? Are you gonna buy a 1000$ computer and throw it in the trash to use the OS on your calculator or something? You need to start making some frigging sense, dude.

you have moure choice in that MorphOS wont be tied to one board... and one company... their open to let MorphOS run on Mac's potentially... PDA's... even the AmigaOne...not closed minded

Offline Elektro

• Show only replies by Elektro
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2002, 12:06:32 AM »
Fine then I'll just download mos when it's out and install it on the A1...

:destroy:
#amiga.org @ irc.synirc.net

Offline NihilVor

• Show only replies by NihilVor
    • http://www.digitalfreezer.net/nihilvor
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2002, 12:51:52 AM »
 Currently there are four scheduled configurations on which to run the Amiga OS (60X, G3, G3 expandable, & G4), and that is not counting the option to just buy the board.

While I'm for licensing in such a market, actually, it is MorphOs that will not allow their OS to run on Amiga One.  However, who would need it to run when you are running A OS4.X.  MorphOS is just one of many ways to run Amiga programs on an non-Amiga architecture.  Worst yet, it is an OS that will have little support for native features.  I'd much rather run Linux and Amiga--which I can do on an Amiga One.  Who wants to be stuck with a MorphOs machine? especially with questions related to support and the possibility of legal issues.  Sounds very risky to me;  there are dozens of other OSs out there that are more viable than MorphOs.  Lastly, I'm also not sure how a G4 + a top of the line graphics card=obsolete.  

This is not to say I'm buying an AOne--I'll wait for OS4.0 and for some extra change in hand, but, no, I wouldn't cosider MorphOS.

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2002, 01:48:15 AM »
drag you down?... hah... thats niave and selifish... thinking Amiga 'has' to stay PunyPC to keep bigots happy./

No more naive and selfish than thinking we have to throw away our future as a platform just to keep the speed freaks and cheapskates happy.

Offline THEONE

• Show only replies by THEONE
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2002, 02:01:05 AM »
You should say, who wants to get an Itanium? Which well soon turn into the Hombre clone. A lot already.This isnt rebillion but the only logical way.  Make way for the Hoooombre clone. :-D  :-)

Offline newbee

• Show only replies by newbee
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2002, 02:02:19 AM »
I have already purchased an AmigaOne and will happily continue to use it, regardless of what OS I end up with.

I can use Linux but like it only a little more than Windows (It is difficult to configure, starting to get bloated and the "holy wars" beteen the developers over things like Window managers is resulting in two incompatable code forks).

That being said, If OS4 and Morphos flops I  am happy that I still can use Linus (mac on linux anyone???).

I am a "OS Geek" and just love trying new OSes and believe that the Morphos Q-Box has the potential to develop into a good new OS option.

If Morphos gets released as a "shrink wrap" product I will ahppily purchase it and install it on my A-One.

I think that the community does not need to divide itself, If AROS, Amith*???, OS4 and Morphos all survive and continue to be "somwhat" compatable with each others applications it is a good thing.

What I would most like to see however, is for all the various Amiga OS makers to get together and develop "Open APIs" which allows programmers to write their applications once and not need to re-code to support all flavours (recompile if required).

The second best option would be to have AmigaDE ported to all those OS Flazours so that applications can be written once and used universally.

.... Back to the real world ....

I will happily run AmigaOs4, Morphos, Linux (MOL???) and AROS and will make my final decision on which OS I will favour based on which one MEETS MY NEEDS BEST.

I do not understand why these need to be mutually exclusive options.

Regards
Darren

I\\\'ve never used an Amiga

Convince me....

I am your future :-)

*** News Flash ***
I am now a happy user of UAE, you can now call me \\"convert\\"

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2002, 02:23:09 AM »

newbee wrote:

If Morphos gets released as a "shrink wrap" product I will ahppily purchase it and install it on my A-One.

Yeah, that's also the way most people think about an OS (at least the people who even know what an OS is and have heard of something else than Windows... ;)), and it applies to e.g. AmigaOS as well. "Can I buy it and run on my (current|preferred|cheaper|better|whatever) hardware?"

I do not understand why these need to be mutually exclusive options.

Precisely! This "join the rebellion" or "follow the 'official' path" crap must look ridiculous to anyone "on the outside" looking in.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Panthro

• Show only replies by Panthro
    • http://www.hell-fish.tk
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 17, 2002, 02:58:38 AM »
I have FULL confidence in Hyperion to make
OS4 cool .... the twins code so well me and my
mates call 'em "the Magi" (after the human
computer brains on Evangelion) the games they make will run on the Os THEY coded ... makes for
good results Opus Magelan YAY etc  :-D

Call me a name follower but officialy the future look
very bright indeed  ;-)

PS I would not buy a  version of AmigaOS that was
also avalible on X86 it is a slow death & very painful.
-Panthro