Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is anybody thinking about joining the Rebellion (Pegasos/MOS)?  (Read 7498 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaMacTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaMac
Is anybody thinking about joining the Rebellion (Pegasos/MOS)?
« on: November 16, 2002, 05:31:53 AM »
I was just curious if anyone is thinking about jumping the fence for Pegasos and MorphOS?  I'll have to admit that though I am more inclined to have an AmigaOne and AOS 4, but I am more impressed with what Pegasos has to offer in regards to hardware components.  The 'geek port' (as they say in BeOS land) is what impresses me most, though the Dual G3/G4 option is also nice.  But does MorphOS take advantage of a dual CPU configuration, or will the apps with any type of MP awareness be the only benefactors?

Who supports Pegasos and MorphOS, where is their 'Community' or are there some here amongst you?

Just curious on what is going through some of your guys (and gals if any) mind on the whole thing...

Oh I'm not trying to start a flamewar or anything!

Re: Is anybody thinking about joining the Rebellion (Pegasos/MOS)?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2002, 07:02:07 AM »
MOS will support multiple processors.. HENES a developer said this before.... he said not SMP but multiple CPU's...
as for their community it's basically the same community that is the amiga community...alot of people have jumped ship in light of the A1/OS4's license... and also the fact of MOS bieng out already and purchasable...
They have some good guys on their side their dev team is pretty cool people you can reach them on arcnet... #MorphOS ... I dont go there anymore myself.. but it's an OK place...
MorphOS/Pegasos isnt a bad system although it dosent cater to the 'name only' followers it's an OK system... I dont trust MOS in it's current state very much though because it just isnt stable enough.. it's getting there though...
I was going to get a Pegasos G4 rig just for the MOL/MOS expierance (MOL bieng MacOnLinux).. but decided not to when I decided to get a luggable PC  for work :P

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 07:17:08 AM »
but decided not to when I decided to get a luggable PC for work :P

I have a friend here that just bought a BareBones PC that is mobile basically.  He said he didn't mean to buy it, but it looked so cool and he just couldn't resist.

As for Pegasos/MOS, I haven't really kept up on their happenings, except for tidbits here and there from Amiga.org or other news clippings.  To be honest, I'm more interested in running BeOS on that board than anything else.  I am in discussion with a few guys that are also interested in porting OpenBeOS over to Pegasos, so maybe I'll grab one of these boards just for that and maybe for Linux/MOL as well.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 07:55:55 AM »
casedepot

I bought the 17" under portable cases there... it's one of the most cool rigs I ever got...looks incredible... feels incredible... I love the keyboard it's solid like the old time clickys where... I love it ....I'm useing it as a portable workstation./

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 10:49:13 AM »
>Who supports Pegasos and MorphOS

If you want to know what commercial companies support MorphOS then here is some short list:

Titan Computer (PapyrusOffice, BurnIt Pro (DVD
writing software), Rage Hard, Alien Nation,...)

MotionStudio (MotionStudio (video solution))

IOSpirit (fxPAINT, fxSCAN, ...)

e.p.i.c. interactive (Simon3d, Earth2150 series,
SoftwareTycoon, BirdieShoot,...)

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 11:02:22 AM »
No.

Personally I can't see how one board can outperform another that uses
the same chipsets, the same CPU, the same drive interface and the same
memory.

The only comparison I can think of is the GFX card market.  The best
NVidia cards, for example, only outperform the others by a few FPS and
thats usually because of higher specced ram.

Perhaps someone can explain?

Anyway I'll be happy buying a G4@800Mhz from a company I've dealt with
for years.  If I do need Firewire at some point I'll buy a PCI card.

Offline Korodny

• Show only replies by Korodny
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2002, 11:28:44 AM »
@AmigaMac:

I was just curious if anyone is thinking about jumping the fence for Pegasos and MorphOS? I'll have to admit that though I am more inclined to have an AmigaOne and AOS 4, butt I am more impressed with what Pegasos has to offer in regards to hardware components. The 'geek port' (as they say in BeOS land) is what impresses me most, though the Dual G3/G4 option is also nice.

What 'geek port'? The AmigaOneXE has a dual-CPU option too. But MOS and AOS4 won't be able to do anything useful with such a setup though.

Basically, the Pegasos is a smaller form factor, has firewire on board and seems to be cheaper.

But does MorphOS take advantage of a dual CPU configuration, or will the apps with any type of MP awareness be the only benefactors?

At the moment, you won't be able to use MOS with a dual-CPU setup. Quark (the MOS kernel) is prepared to support multiple CPUs, but that is not implemented yet. Same goes for OS4's kernel.

Oh I'm not trying to start a flamewar or anything

Too late.

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2002, 11:48:23 AM »

zacman wrote:
>Who supports Pegasos and MorphOS

If you want to know what commercial companies support MorphOS then here is some short list:

Titan Computer (PapyrusOffice, BurnIt Pro (DVD
writing software), Rage Hard, Alien Nation,...)

MotionStudio (MotionStudio (video solution))

IOSpirit (fxPAINT, fxSCAN, ...)

e.p.i.c. interactive (Simon3d, Earth2150 series,
SoftwareTycoon, BirdieShoot,...)

Earth2150...... I'll buy a Pegasos only for it :-)

AmigaOne or Pegasos?
I don't know.... I havent the money tobuy an A1, Pegasos is cheaper.... But i have a heavy expanded amiga: 060, Voodoo3, SoundBlaster, Power Tower with new ide (1 cd, 1 cdrw, 2 hd) and many other things...... I prefear to buy a SharkG4 for my a1200 but i don't know if it will be ralased OS4 compatible... :-(

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2002, 11:52:58 AM »
What 'geek port'? The AmigaOneXE has a dual-CPU option too. But MOS and AOS4 won't be able to do anything useful with such a setup though.

I'm talking about the available ports:

*IEEE1394 (Firewire) VIA VT6306 with 100/200/400 MBit data transfer
*10/100 MBit Realtek Phyceiver 8201 Ethernet
*USB I/O system VIA 8231 with four connectors
*AC97 sound subsystem Sigmatel STAC 9766 Codec with mic input, line in/out and headset connector
*IRDA for infra-red remote control
*ATA100 VIA 8231 with two channels for upto four ATA devices
*PS/2 mouse connector
*RS232 (serial) port
*Centronics port
*Gameport for PC-compatible joysticks

Basically overkill similar to the old BeBoxen!

Offline Zadoc

• Show only replies by Zadoc
    • http://www.zadocnightmare.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2002, 12:13:06 PM »
It's funny that you should bring this topic up, considering my mindset as of late.  I too have been thinking about possibly going MOS/Pegasos.  As pointed out MANY months ago, the Pegasos seems to be a much nicer board and is quite cheaper than the A1.  The hardware dongle issue also makes me lean a bit closer to the MOS camp.

The only problem is, is that I know virtually NOTHING about MorphOs.  The official MorphOs website is filled with too much technical jargon, no screenshots, no information that means anything to an average end user like me.  Even with as little as we know about OS4, it is much more than I know about MorphOs (seeing that I have never owned a PPC card and never have seen the older MOS betas).

Personally, I think MOS camp needs to show the world what it has a bit better.

Sadly, my REAL aspiration was to have the SharkPPC card in my current Mediator A1200 setup running OS4...it doesn't look very good at this moment to appear, although I really hope I am wrong.
Welcome to my Nightmare
Zadoc...and the Nightmare

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2002, 12:20:55 PM »
Hi.

Here you can find some more detailed info about MOS. I have not seen it myself yet.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2002, 12:52:16 PM »
>The only problem is, is that I know virtually
>NOTHING about MorphOs. The official MorphOs
>website is filled with too much technical jargon, no
>screenshots, no information that means anything
>to an average end user like me

Check morphos-news.de for more details about
MorphOS and news concerning it.

The "MorphOS in Detail" document which has been released yesterday was just the beginning. You
know it's pre-Aachen-show-time - every week a new
surprise ;)

Offline ikir

• Show only replies by ikir
    • http://www.ikirsector.it
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2002, 01:03:06 PM »

Zadoc wrote:

Sadly, my REAL aspiration was to have the SharkPPC card in my current Mediator A1200 setup running OS4...it doesn't look very good at this moment to appear, although I really hope I am wrong.

...hoping with you.... :-(

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2002, 01:34:14 PM »
I've been with the Amiga for so many years, and now that it's finally due to get a significant update, I am certainly not jumping ship. I admit that the Pegasos looks nice, but as long as it doesn't run AmigaOS, it is of little use to me. I want AmigaOS4. I have good faith in the people who are developing, and think it has a much better chance of surviving commercially than a completely new and unknown OS like MorphOS (no offence intended, I wish the MOS team the best of luck).

Besides, if I was to switch platforms, I doubt it would be towards something *more* obscure than what I have now.

Kay

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2002, 02:36:09 PM »
The Pegasos and MorphOS look great but im buying an amigaone g4xe and can not afford to Pegasos and MorphOS as well it does look and sound like a very good alternative and seems to have some good support.Is there a dealer thats going to sell Pegasos and MorphOS in the uk. :-D  :-?
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com