Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tao is definitely not alone  (Read 3588 times)

Description:

Offline JetRacerTopic starter

• Show only replies by JetRacer
Tao is definitely not alone
« on: February 14, 2002, 02:08:01 PM »
We knew there was some competition for Tao, but now it seems like Tao and Amiga Inc will be in direct conflict with Microsoft because of MS .net. Microsoft is doing yet another "embrase and extend" aimed at JAVA, and Amiga Inc risc getting squeezed in the middle.
Check out: http://arstechnica.com/paedia/n/net/net-1.html
to get the idea of what .net is, and http://www.amiga.com to get an idea of what AmigaDE is all about.

*Zap! Zap!* Ha! Take that! *Kabooom!* Hey, that\'s not fair!

Chathurawind

Re: Tao is definitely not alone
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 09:56:36 AM »
I read that last night... It does seem kinda close to what Amiga Inc or Tao is trying to do/has done.

Microsoft will almost difinatly win. But the AmigaDE's potential is unseen untill everyone is aware of the industry standard this type of thing, which is tao.

Thats right, Elate is an industry standard for embedded devices and/or whatever... Some people will know what im on about, other wont. For those who dont, i cant help you any more because ive forgoten the name of the organistation formed for this particular standard.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 10:38:15 AM »
Yeah, it's all different takes on the same basic idea. Which will work the best? Don't know. Java was first in the spotlight. Kinda sputtered there it seemed for awhile. I like what I've seen of Tao's stuff. Amiga's demoed some really cool things it can do. It should be amazing once it all comes together. MS' .Net is still in it's infancy. I'm wondering if it will be "really cross platform" or just be implemented where Windows runs. Like XP, XP 64bit, XPce; basiclly intel, alpha or whatever server cpu's windows runs on and pocket PC.

Chathurawind

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2002, 12:45:43 PM »
There is an open source DOT NET for Linux called MONO from XIMIAN. Is this a competitor of AMIGA DE?

http://www.ximian.com/about_us/press_center/press_releases/mono_partners.html

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2002, 02:58:36 PM »
Elate is an industry standard

Microsoft eat those for breakfast.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2002, 03:10:25 PM »
There is an open source DOT NET for Linux called MONO from XIMIAN. Is this a competitor of AMIGA DE?

Yes and no. Mono is basicly a .net clone for Linux and a countermeashure from the open-source community. But because of it's nature it's also a competitor to Elate. Development of Mono is so slow that the project managers never expect to keep up with Microsoft. My guess is that it won't keep up with elate either.

Chathurawind

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2002, 04:12:34 PM »
>Slow

Recently both HP and INTEL support MONO development,  because they need applications for upcoming McKinley  CPU (second generation Itanium/IA 64).

There is a rumor that AMD will support MONO, because they need software for the new AMD Alchemy MIPS based CPU. Using DOT NET /MONO it is possible to create X86 code optimized for Athlon / Clawhammer (64 bit X86).

MS support for IA64 is lackluster and they view the Itanium as a cursed platform (Itanic). :-)

Chathurawind

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2002, 11:04:47 AM »
"industry standard this type of thing, which is tao."

Jeer mode on

Oh COME ON industry standard? Industry standards are made one of two ways:

1. By attrition - its the most popular therefore everyone has to adhere to it.

2. By standards bodies

I dont see Tao in either of those. OCPA does not provide that function, they arent an ISO and you admit that they arent going to win the marketplace.

Where does this industry standard myth that people keep quoting come from?

Theres a real world out there which wont be obvious to you until you leave your Amiga in your bedroom and go and get a job.

Jeer Mode Off

Damn thats better.

Chathurawind

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2002, 01:07:30 AM »
You may find an interesting  article about .NET here:

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/n/net/net-1.html