Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dave Haynie Talks About Developing The Commodore Amiga  (Read 8423 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Dave Haynie Talks About Developing The Commodore Amiga
« Reply #74 from previous page: April 14, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;762502
Both C= and Amiga were big sellers in Europe.
65816 was compatible enough for Apple.
C128 sold a few millions, I think a nicer 65816 based system could have even sold more. MOS could have had developed a 32 bit CPU in house, freeing C= from shackels of Motorola and their pricing.

Amiga, as nice and as advanced as it was, lost Commodore 3 years of momentum and a lot of money untill A500 took off.
The PC model of backwards compatibility could have been applied on the C= 8(C64) -> 16(C65816) -> 32(6532) bit line. The C64 was the 2nd biggest platform in the 80s, it was foolish not to take advantage of that.

The view of an obvious C64 fan.
Frankly, rather than trying to morph the 8 bit C64 into a 16 then 32 bit machine, a investment in evolving than Amiga platform would have made more sense.
After all, the Amiga had an operating system.
To this day people with any sense focus on evolving that, rather than focusing on fixed hardware specs.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline psxphill

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;762502
Both C= and Amiga were big sellers in Europe.
65816 was compatible enough for Apple.

Apple II didn't have VIC and SID with all the cycle accurate requirements that go with it.

Quote from: Iggy;762509
a investment in evolving than Amiga platform would have made more sense.

Unfortunately their investment was AAA. The engineers that rode that train ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;762509
The view of an obvious C64 fan.
Frankly, rather than trying to morph the 8 bit C64 into a 16 then 32 bit machine, a investment in evolving than Amiga platform would have made more sense.
After all, the Amiga had an operating system.
To this day people with any sense focus on evolving that, rather than focusing on fixed hardware specs.

The morphing worked for PC, and in a way, for Apple.
Operating system can always be written, several million C64s sold by 85' and the software market around it are worth a lot more than an operating system, no matter how advanced.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
@WolfToTheMoon

I can't think of a single legacy PC app I use, but I'm still using Windows.
If I want to run C64 apps (or Amiga for that matter) I can always run an emulator.
Software is the crucial issue here, not hardware, so in the end I think I made my point.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"