Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's C64x Creator & Celebrity Barry Altman dies  (Read 7236 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Re: Commodore USA's C64x Creator & Celebrity Barry Altman dies
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 05:16:38 PM »
Qwerty posted this over on moo too. Regardless agreed with how the man  did certain things you don't post something as utterly disgraceful as that. Especially given the horrendous way he passed away.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:28:03 PM by CritAnime »

Offline spirantho

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
Quote from: crawff;723204
@qwerty40001

If your in the UK, PM me your address and i will come round and knock some sense into ya.

Hey, why limit yourself to the UK? We could have a whip round and buy you flight tickets. Would be in a good cause!

Seriously, Barry's ideas I rarely agreed with. In fact, I don't agree with just about anything he did with C=USA, except maybe the C64x which was a reasonable idea poorly implemented.

However, whatever the guy did, whether he was doing a cynical marketing ploy or really believing in what he did, one thing remains...
He was still a husband, father and family member. Just because you don't agree with someone's plans is no cause for the kind of behaviour exhibited above.

RIP Barry Altman - I didn't agree with what you did, but I'd never wish what happened to you on anyone.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »
I agree, even if you didn't like the guy (and I think most here didn't) at least have some sympathy for his friends and family...

But lets also not rewrite history... Calling him a "celebrity" ? Really?

And the even worse news...

Now the commodore name rights, which I believe were already in legal limbo hell have yet another layer of mess to prevent someone else from using the name...

And now silly billy and amiga inc won't make tens of thousands of cents from the amiga stickers.... He may have to break down and get a real job.

And what will Leo do now? Getting a job as a chief technical officer for a computer company when you can't even write a script file right is not easy.
Not many jobs out there for guys who make commodore wallpapers.

And what about all the cool aid drinkers? As predicted, the second coming fails... What will all the cusa cheer leaders do now?

The commodore curse continues...

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
R.I.P Barry

@ mods

please delete the ignorant and disrespectful post no.8 on this thread as it reflects poorly on this site and our community.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;723215
I agree, even if you didn't like the guy (and I think most here didn't) at least have some sympathy for his friends and family...

But lets also not rewrite history... Calling him a "celebrity" ? Really?
Exactly. There's no call for being an ásshole about the fact that he died, but if people are gonna start fawning over his memory and calling him a "celebrity" and a "great man" just to avoid looking like qwerty, I'm gonna have to start dredging up old Barry quotes for perspective.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 08:21:03 PM »
Condolences to family and friends.
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 08:28:59 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;723218
but if people are gonna start fawning over his memory and calling him a "celebrity" and a "great man" just to avoid looking like qwerty, I'm gonna have to start dredging up old Barry quotes for perspective.

Wow, that would be such a classy act!  Oh wait, a classy act would to be ignore threads about dead people you don't like instead of posting digs at the dead.  My bad!
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 08:57:30 PM »
Quote from: dammy;723224
Wow, that would be such a classy act!  Oh wait, a classy act would to be ignore threads about dead people you don't like instead of posting digs at the dead.  My bad!
Well, if people will keep their own posts in perspective, then I won't have to do it for them.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 09:09:50 PM »
I think all these "condolences" are a little over the top. With all the abuse some of you guys here gave him and all the ill will you gave his CUSA the condolences you are giving him seem a little hypocritical. One minute he is much hated then you find out he is dead and suddenly he turns into a much loved celebrity? Seriously?

Fine, you all made it clear a long time ago that you really hate the guy. Say your condolences or even better say nothing. Just stop pretending you liked the guy.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Blizz1220

• Show only replies by Blizz1220
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »
So even when your "enemy" is dead your hate burns eternal.
I can only guess you get in a lot of fights and wonder why is this so ...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:41:24 PM by eliyahu »

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
Quote from: Blizz1220;723231
So even when your "enemy" is dead your hate burns eternal.
I can only guess you get in a lot of fights and wonder why is this so ...
I don't know why I'm dignifying this with a response, but no. I don't hate Barry, and I never have. I did, however, find his online behavior thoroughly rude and childish and his business practices questionable at best, as did many other people here, which is why I'm stunned that this has turned into such a boot-licking competition the minute we found out that he died (which is sad in any case, and especially for his family.) Respect for the dead does not and should not mean pretending that they were flawless saints, but that's exactly what's happening here.

(And no. I don't get in fights, and I never have. When will you people learn that I don't give a tinker's damn about your pathetic attempts at armchair psychology?)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:25:58 PM by commodorejohn »

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
So are there any C64s to be liquidated with the company?  I'd like one as a novelty.  I want to put Windows 8 on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;723229
I think all these "condolences" are a little over the top. With all the abuse some of you guys here gave him and all the ill will you gave his CUSA the condolences you are giving him seem a little hypocritical. One minute he is much hated then you find out he is dead and suddenly he turns into a much loved celebrity? Seriously?

Fine, you all made it clear a long time ago that you really hate the guy. Say your condolences or even better say nothing. Just stop pretending you liked the guy.

There's a huge difference between hating someone and hating their actions.
Personally, I hate what C=USA did with the Amiga name - but never in a million years would I or any other sane(ish) person on here wish him to get cancer like this, no matter what he did. No computer is worth a human life.

I don't see the hypocrisy in slating his actions when he was alive, and yet offering condolences now - quite the opposite in fact. It shows that when it comes right down to it, we're all human, and in situations like this we're all the same whatever camp we're in.

I don't think any of the people so critical of C=USA would ever wish this on him.

That said, neither should we rewrite history and make him something he wasn't. He was a businessman, pure and simple. But more importantly, he was someone's family... and that's why we can all offer condolences, no matter how much we jumped up and down about his business practices.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 10:36:48 PM »
@thread

wow. i take my normal saturday break and this happens. this was the third thread on the subject of barry's passing, and i'm sorry to see that conduct hasn't improved. i'd like to thank @Argo for moderating this thread and would like to remind people that this forum is designed to be a friendly place to discuss our hobby and the amiga platform in general.

it is not a place to insult, degrade, or threaten people, and that goes double for people who have passed away. for heavens' sake no one should have to remind anyone around here to behave like adults. so, you know, please play nicely.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 11:08:11 PM »
I detested everything C-USA did with the Commodore name.  I found the way C-USA, and Barry in particular - treated the community to be abhorrent.  But at the end of the day, it's a computer hobby.  Not war crimes or mass genocide.

That being said, I never harbored any ill will towards the man, or any ill will towards C-USA - not even when the C-USA minions were harassing me and making goofy vague threats via pm's.

A man lost his life under the worst of the worst situations.  I've lost many people to cancer, and it is never remotely even understandable or tolerable to deal with for the bystanders, much less the victims of this foul bloody disease.  Children of this man lost their Father.  Love or hate the guy during his time on earth, don't be a damned turd now.  Have some civility and show some respect.

Getting snarky and saying things like that other fellow did in the thread earlier is extremely bad karma.

Rest In Peace.  'Nuff said, no?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:47:01 PM by Duce »

Offline Plaz

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 20, 2013, 01:28:14 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;723233
I'm stunned that this has turned into such a boot-licking competition the minute we found out that he died

"Stop saying nice things about the deceased because I didn't like him"

Please give it a rest John. If you don't like the wake, don't participate.

Plaz