Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Black, sexy and menacing...X500 PLUS  (Read 7180 times)

Description:

Offline gaula92

• Show only replies by gaula92
Re: Black, sexy and menacing...X500 PLUS
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 11:09:23 PM »
That sounds pretty wicked. Any formal process for declaring interest at this point? Obviously first come first serve, but I won't have spare cash for a little while anyways.

This guy, TheDaddy, designed the greatest Minimig case I've even imagined: it's a true luxury to look at my Minimig in his glossy black case, with the small lights glowing in the dark like small demon eyes, while I load and play legendary games and demos...

Keep up the good work, Mr L! I've chosen my FPGAARCADE case already after seeing that black beast you posted!

e-mail sent ;)

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 11:10:36 PM »
Quote from: TheDaddy;710308
Just email me here:

amigarulez@hotmail.com

Speak to you soon, thanks.

Just emailed you earlier :)

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 12:33:29 AM »
This is such an awesome case!  I wish I had the $$$ and the hardware to stick in it!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »
It is VERY pretty, but again - a chiclet keyboard?
Brings me back to Coco1 standards (shuddering).

I don't even like those on laptops (where its about your only option).

Then again, I know I'm in the minority when I say I like longer travel keyboards with clicking feedback (like early IBM keyboards - fabulous for touch typing).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 01:10:02 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;710329

Then again, I know I'm in the minority when I say I like longer travel keyboards with clicking feedback (like early IBM keyboards - fabulous for touch typing).

If this had an option for a clicky keyboard, I'd sell a non insignificant amount of grandmothers for it :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 01:17:43 AM »
Quote from: runequester;710330
If this had an option for a clicky keyboard, I'd sell a non insignificant amount of grandmothers for it :)

Ah, someone else that remember that good keyboards used to be an option.
I wish I could find the nimrods that convinced everybody that silent, short travel keys were OK.

You know, I still have two IBM keyboards and an early Tandy I prefer because of the keyswitches they were using at the time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:01:49 AM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 01:31:02 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;710332
Ah, someone else that remember that good keyboards used to be an option.
I wish I could find the nimrods that convinced everybody that silent, short travel keys were OK.

You know, I still have two IBM keyboards and an early Tandy I prefer because of the keyswitches they were using at thre time.

I actually have a really nice IBM model M that I use. I can't really use it right now, since Morph OS is hard to use proper, without windows keys, and I can't get the rebind options in poseidon to work, but once I get a Linux machine again, it'll go right back on!

Offline Iggy

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 02:03:28 AM »
Quote from: runequester;710334
I actually have a really nice IBM model M that I use. I can't really use it right now, since Morph OS is hard to use proper, without windows keys, and I can't get the rebind options in poseidon to work, but once I get a Linux machine again, it'll go right back on!

Yeah, I remember those.
If I'm not mistaken, IBM wanted to give them the kind of tactile feedback that you got from a Selectric typewriter keyboard.
Good stuff.

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 03:46:42 AM »
Well I will be taking the black case and an fpga arcade with the daughterboard as per my e-mail response. That case looks very nice indeed.So sleek and sexy. Is there any use for a dvd player with a full fpga arcade setup or is it redundant.Pardon my ignorance on the matter.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 05:05:33 AM »
Quote from: wrath of khan;710346
Well I will be taking the black case and an fpga arcade with the daughterboard as per my e-mail response. That case looks very nice indeed.So sleek and sexy. Is there any use for a dvd player with a full fpga arcade setup or is it redundant.Pardon my ignorance on the matter.

I can't see how we would connect it.  The base board has no SATA/PATA connectors and the expension board doesn't either.  It does have USB2, so I was planning an external unit.  I guess a slimline DVD+RW with a USB adapter slapped onto the connector could be done internally without much trouble.  This should do the trick:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2728782&CatId=3770
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:08:18 AM by Darrin »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »
Are there anymore pics of this case showing the entire chassis etc? (it looks great!)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:33 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;710329

It's an either/or thing for me.  If I can't have buckling springs/cherry switches, then I don't want long-travel keys at all.
I've had a mac aluminum chiclet keyboard for at least five years and it's the best membrane keyboard I've ever used.

Offline TheDaddyTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 07:33:22 AM »
@Iggy

I did investigate cherry keyboards (I am old enough to remember, LOL!) but I had to say no as they cost an arm and a leg.
The keyboard on its own, just the board and keys would have cost $120!

I can get the chiclet keyboard for $16 and it's quite good, I find it easy to type on and fits with the overall design and colour scheme. Maybe one day, it could come as an upgrade... :D

Regarding the DVD-RW drives...all the cases will have one then you do what you want with them :D need to cover the hole as I have no time to also make a cover...I think the drive could connect to via SATA to USB internal adapter, like Darrin says, need to check with Mike though.

I did consider an Apple keyboard but again cost and somehow it felt wrong :)

This one is good I believe and cheap so a compromise ;)

I'll see if I can find the time to take more photos and maybe a video this week end.

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 09:12:46 AM »
Prefer the keyboard on my Sony laptop, has good feedback when typing even though it's not a "long travel" keyboard.

As for the clicking of old it is just annoying, over the years I've developed a hatred for loud keyboards. Grating to the ears :-/

Would love one of these cases for my Amiga 500plus to go in, but would need to mod it a bit for the ports to line up :-(
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline TheDaddyTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »
I am divided on this, I love both types although a pure Cherry switched keyboard is really noisy and needs rubber grommets to absorb some of the sound, on the other hand they are precise and perfect for typists and gamers...but they are also incredibly expensive, but they last longer...ah dilemmas! :-)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #29 from previous page: October 05, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;710358
It's an either/or thing for me. If I can't have buckling springs/cherry switches, then I don't want long-travel keys at all.
I've had a mac aluminum chiclet keyboard for at least five years and it's the best membrane keyboard I've ever used.

Yeah, the type of long travel keyswitches I'm thinking of go down just so far then drop with an audible click. Cherry made good ones and so did a few other companies.
I'm no fan of mushy long travel keys either.

But, the daddy says this is out of our price range. So, chiclets it is.