Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Computer Social Experiment gone wrong MooBunny site Broken  (Read 6426 times)

Description:

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
Re: Computer Social Experiment gone wrong MooBunny site Broken
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »
Quote from: Piru;700102
The website has been shut down for the weekend. Why should posting work during this time?

The site was borked for a good 8 hours before John posted up his message on the site. He hasn't done anything other than to make the main list in the amiga section not display.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
Quote from: koaftder;700107
The site was borked for a good 8 hours before John posted up his message on the site. He hasn't done anything other than to make the main list in the amiga section not display.
Ok, didn't notice that myself. I stand corrected.

The cause for the disruption hasn't been stated though?

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
Quote from: Piru;700104
You can't. There is this thing called proxies (and tor).

reCAPTCHA would be an effective solution to cut down the scripted spam, at least. It shouldn't be too hard to add it to site like moo.

But is it scripted spam on Moo?  I really don't think so.

Dammy
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Piru

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Quote from: dammy;700109
But is it scripted spam on Moo?  I really don't think so.

The guy bragged about his scripts on the site, so yes it was.

Even if it was manual, the CAPTCHA would still help by slowing down and annoying the spammer.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »
In the future, when our fascist overlords want to show us why "a little censorship doesn't hurt", I imagine they'll pull out Moobunny as evidence :)

Offline number6

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 05:51:57 PM »
@Piru

"We have other message boards."

That link, which appears throughout the site, has never gone anywhere. He should just replace the link with the same text in statement form.

Anyway, the reason the site exists is for John's artwork, so I don't think this is high on his todo list.

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 06:09:34 PM »
Quote from: Piru;700093
My guess is that someone didn't like the honest and informed discussion that happens at moo.

It's been at least five years that there was something Amiga related on moobunny you could describe as "honest" or "informed". Moobunny used to be an useful and interesting place, but these days it's merely a dumping ground for anti-OS4 tirades based on AW quotes ripped out of context.

IMHO, John should disable posting, clear the remaining SPAM and leave the site online because of its useful archives. That means there won't be a place in the English part of the web where Amiga users can post anonymously - but in 2012, the Moo approach (i.e. completely unmoderated) simply doesn't work anymore.

Offline Piru

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
Quote from: Piru;700093
Nope, the site was working just fine, except that some retard who kept flooding it with profanity and other crap. His sole purpose in life was to make the site unusable to others. Motives behind that could be only guessed. My guess is that someone didn't like the honest and informed discussion that happens at moo.

To expand on this, there were two spammers, which may have been the same individual. The first would pop up and crapflood the messageboard with one-shot nonsense posts. That's being going on for many months.

More recently, a second spammer appeared, who would mass inject threads with the alleged intent of "clearing out" the other spam by pushing it off the index. Which, of course, it didn't, it simply compounded the original problem that regular threads were lost amid the noise.

As a long time reader of the board, I got a bit sick of this and wrote a simple filter which I hosted on my own server that filtered content based on repetitive subject titles (with some logic thrown in to catch minor variations thereof).

I used this for a little while and decided to share it as the volume of regular threads was diminishing, due to the constant crapflooding making it tedious to locate recent posts.

The second spammer decided this was an unacceptable affront to his right to subject everybody to his crapflooding and that, despite only using the content of the index (which does not show user or IP address), that it was somehow it was targeting him.

He tried a few trivially-countered variations before recognising the fact that a repetition filter won't handle completely random spam and subsequently flooded the place with that, instead.
int p; // A

Offline 20b-fd3s

• Show only replies by 20b-fd3s
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
http://crap.forumotion.co.uk/t129-transition-gets-it-wrong-as-usual#743

Threats from you don't scare me and I will complain about you to Sky first thing Monday. Mark my words!

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »
Quote from: Piru;700121
http://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_m00t_poole_the_case_for_anonymity_online.html

Are you comparing moo to 4chan? Seriously?

And you don't need to lecture *me* about the usefulness of anonymity - as long as moo is offline, Senex and me are running the only Amiga related website that allows anonymous posting. And it's not like the other entities in the community love us for having that feature.

But moo has turned into a site that seemed to offer anonymity for anonymity's sake. There was absolutely no useful output in the last few years, just people bashing each other or their favourite target as much as they want. I don't see how that serves a purpose.

You want to point out the numerous flaws, cover ups, lies and desasters surrounding OS4? Be my guest (unless you're a morphos core developer, of course ;)). But quoting an unrelated user, usually only quoting whatever part you need to go on a rant about OS4 this or AmigaOne that, three times a day, 7 days a week - why?

Offline dammy

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;700122
To expand on this, there were two spammers, which may have been the same individual. The first would pop up and crapflood the messageboard with one-shot nonsense posts. That's being going on for many months.

More recently, a second spammer appeared, who would mass inject threads with the alleged intent of "clearing out" the other spam by pushing it off the index. Which, of course, it didn't, it simply compounded the original problem that regular threads were lost amid the noise.

As a long time reader of the board, I got a bit sick of this and wrote a simple filter which I hosted on my own server that filtered content based on repetitive subject titles (with some logic thrown in to catch minor variations thereof).

I used this for a little while and decided to share it as the volume of regular threads was diminishing, due to the constant crapflooding making it tedious to locate recent posts.

The second spammer decided this was an unacceptable affront to his right to subject everybody to his crapflooding and that, despite only using the content of the index (which does not show user or IP address), that it was somehow it was targeting him.

He tried a few trivially-countered variations before recognising the fact that a repetition filter won't handle completely random spam and subsequently flooded the place with that, instead.

And his script flooded every single subboard on Moo.  Formal complaints should be posted by Squid and Dreamhosters to his ISP, they have to keep records of his activity of what proxies he has been using.  If anything they might stop giving him a discount and charge him full rates for internet access.

Discussion continues on this thread: http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/atarist/353.shtml
Dammy

Offline Piru

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
@Karlos

Ah okay, so that's the reason for your name appearing in the spam.

Not surprising the spammer has now targeted the other moo forums. Really, CAPTCHA is the only effective way to handle the situation. Of course even then the spammer is able to post single spam messages, but at least he cannot use his scripts.

Offline Piru

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »
Quote from: dammy;700125
Formal complaints should be posted by Squid and Dreamhosters to his ISP, they have to keep records of his activity of what proxies he has been using.

And how are you going to find out which ISP he is using?

Offline Piru

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;700124
Are you comparing moo to 4chan?
Not directly no. At first I thought you're just against anonymous discussion in general but since then you've clarified that you're only against it if the topics mostly circle around issues you don't approve of.

But moo has turned into a site that seemed to offer anonymity for anonymity's sake. There was absolutely no useful output in the last few years, just people bashing each other or their favourite target as much as they want.
Well that's your opinion of the matter. I find it different. Of course the site is mostly garbage, but it does have occasional gems. Things that only get posted to moo and turn out to be confirmed as facts later on.

For instance the fact that mr Hermans had left A-Eon appeared first on the moo. It'd be a shame to not have such channel for rumors and gossip.

If you really don't like to read such site, then don't.
You...
Huh?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:59:48 PM by Piru »

Offline dammy

« Reply #29 from previous page: July 14, 2012, 07:08:05 PM »
Quote from: Piru;700127
And how are you going to find out which ISP he is using?

Once the Amiga section is up, google his post from 2011, that should give you his real IP.  Karlos probably has records from AO dating from a year ago as well.

Dammy
Dammy