Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DiscreetFX Platform Shift  (Read 7734 times)

Description:

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: DiscreetFX Platform Shift
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;589673
Heretic! ;)

Believe me I'd love to get this old iMac doing something useful, but you'd need to use a calendar to time the bootup sequence and you could take the dog for along walk waiting for iTunes to start... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
Quote from: Franko;589723
Believe me I'd love to get this old iMac doing something useful, but you'd need to use a calendar to time the bootup sequence and you could take the dog for along walk waiting for iTunes to start... :)

Is it PPC or Intel?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 10:09:47 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;589727
Is it PPC or Intel?

It's an old iMacG4 800Mhz PPC, bought it for £65 then had to pay some geezer nearly 400 quid to fully upgrade it to OS X 10.4.11

Make's a nice desk lamp though... :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »
Quote from: Franko;589732
It's an old iMacG4 800Mhz PPC, bought it for £65 then had to pay some geezer nearly 400 quid to fully upgrade it to OS X 10.4.11

Make's a nice desk lamp though... :)

HOW MUCH?!?!?!?! :O

Burn this to a disc.

Stick it in your Mac, hold down the letter 'c' while it boots and follow the prompts to install it.

Once it reboots, login and type
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
Wait for ages, then reboot when finished.

Et voila, a useful desk lamp! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;589550
Excellent idea, but surely an OS with better stability would be better for such devices? Haiku/Linux/BSD etc....

In a closed box solution, stability is not a problem.  You turn on the box, in 10 seconds their package loads, no Workbench/Zune will ever be seen.  USB can be used to transfer to Win/Mac boxes when needed.

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 12:26:25 AM »
Quote from: persia;589700
According to Steve Jobs, the Mac now makes up 20% of total computer sales.  I personally know of about a dozen people that have switched from PC to Mac,but none that have gone the other way....

I'm sorry to hijack the thread with a long post which will immediately be perceived by Mac aficionados as trolling but I have to say......

Apple claims there are 5 million Macs worldwide. Microsoft just sold 240 Million licenses of Windows 7 alone. Now that doesn't include anyone still running Windows 98/2000/XP or any of the alternative platforms Linux(Ubuntu, SuSe, Redhat, etc.) which has more users that Mac as well.

So if you do the math of just 5 Million Macs and 240 million Windows 7 licenses - about what percentage does that come out to again - worldwide?

I used to love my Amiga more than any other platform. I certainly saw it through rose colored glasses but I never let my enjoyment - skew my real sense of reality like many fans of Apple seem to.

Apple is riding a wave of popularity due primarily to being in the right place at the right time to capitalize on the pent up demand for a quality digital music(mp3) player. They have capitalized very well off the mind-share created by their iPods and used to to launch a myriad of other iDevices(iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad). However, this hasn't translated into as many Macintosh sales as they would like. Hence the latest push to convince consumers Mac Air(Netbook) that they've started to merge their iPod/iPad line with their Mac line. Culminating in Lion and the new Apple store, etc.

This totally ignores that other vendors aren't sitting on the sidelines and conceding the market to the Apple monopoly. Just one good example of something that ultimately may lead to the collapse of this wave of popularity is Google's success with Android in the Smartphone market. Android has recently been dominating the Smartphone market which Apple never really was the leader of. (That would be RIM.) Now when I listen to students and local kids talk about phones it's not all iPhone this and that. A lot of them are talking about Droid and some are even picking on their peers for buying the iPhone 4 because of the antennae/reception issue. (But I digress because all Smartphones have bugs, including my Android phone.)

I guess my only point in this long diatribe is - I find it hard to believe that even the staunched promoter of Apple products could believe the claim that Apple Macintosh makes up 20% of computer sales. The market doesn't bear it out.

I'm glad you like Apple and have had good luck with their products. We have supported Mac labs for years, they've had all kinds of bugs that we've had to find work arounds for and end up taking up more support time than the Windows machines, even counting malware repairs on Windows. On top of that we have no local support firms, no local warranty repair and a total lack of knowledgebase to call upon when problems occur. To top it all off Apple is so unwilling to acknowledge any flaw in their products, we often must locate our own fixes to problems until, if we are lucky, they fix them in the next paid service pack(OS) release. For all Windows is picked on most of their OS versions go through several free point releases where as point releases of Mac OS are paid. Thankfully, they are only $30USD per machine for schools.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Gebrochen

• Show only replies by Gebrochen
    • http://web.aanet.com.au/BlitterWolf
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 12:51:10 AM »
@ Transition

Wanted to ask if any of your products will also hit the Amiga market again, once the X1000 has come out into the public domain?

Cheers
Courtesy of SAM440 Flex & Amiga OS4.1 Update 3 only & Debian
SAM Flex 800
CD32 with SX-1 Expansion & 98 Titles
x86 AROS
A1000 & A500
x86 Box Linux Cinnamon
https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com.au

:evil: :popcorn:

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 01:13:20 AM »
Quote from: persia;589700
According to Steve Jobs, the Mac now makes up 20% of total computer sales.  I personally know of about a dozen people that have switched from PC to Mac,but none that have gone the other way....

He also said that the iPod Touch sold more than the Nintendo DS and PSP combined. Just because your lord and savior says it doesn't make it true.  :roflmao:
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 01:47:49 AM »
The mac vs windows thing never does get old now does it?

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 05:08:36 AM »
Even Steve Ballmer himself lacks faith in MS and is selling 75 millions shares.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20022007-75.html?tag=cnetRiver
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 07:04:03 AM »
Some of you expressed privately that you thought we might be joking about this since it's major DFX news but not on the DiscreetFX site. While it is true that we sometimes do mischief that's not the case this time. The Press Release will go out on Monday and is already live @.

http://www.discreetfx.com/press.html
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:12:34 AM by Pyromania »

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 08:10:34 AM »
Quote from: Transition;589807
Even Steve Ballmer himself lacks faith in MS and is selling 75 millions shares.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20022007-75.html?tag=cnetRiver

... or he just wants to actually have some cash to spend. Execs selling shares is normal. Gates has been selling Microsoft shares on a schedule "forever" for example. Otherwise, what'd be the point of getting the shares in the first place?

Being rich on paper is well and good, but it doesn't buy you anything.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
Quote from: vidarh;589820
... or he just wants to actually have some cash to spend. Execs selling shares is normal. Gates has been selling Microsoft shares on a schedule "forever" for example. Otherwise, what'd be the point of getting the shares in the first place?

Being rich on paper is well and good, but it doesn't buy you anything.

Your point is understood but is selling 2 billion dollars worth of shares sound normal? That's a lot of money.

Offline Orkin

• Show only replies by Orkin
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »
Quote from: Gebrochen;589766
@ Transition

Wanted to ask if any of your products will also hit the Amiga market again, once the X1000 has come out into the public domain?

Cheers

X1000 is public domain? Awesome!

(I joke, but it's fun to think of the rumors this could start!)

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 10:10:09 AM »
Quote from: Pyromania;589823
Your point is understood but is selling 2 billion dollars worth of shares sound normal? That's a lot of money.

Compared to his total shareholdings it's a large amount, but certainly not unheard of. He's selling off less than 20% of his shares as far as I can tell.

Note that I'm not saying it's not possible that he's "lost faith" - could very well be.  Just saying you can't read too much into sales like this, as anyone sane will diversify if they have billions locked up in shares of a single company.

Now, if there's a wider trend of sales amongst Microsoft management (I don't know either way - I don't pay much attention to MS), then it's worth taking notice.

Offline Franko

« Reply #44 from previous page: November 06, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »
@ Nicholas

Cheers mate... :) I think... :confused:

Erm... bit of a dummy when it comes to macs, is that a cd or dvd I burn it to... :confused:

Will I lose all my data, progs, passwords, cookies etc... if I do this ?

I don't have any backup OSX discs if it goes wrong... :(

I assume Lubuntu is a different OS system...

Or is this all just a plot to blow up me mac and stop me posting nonsense on Amiga.org... :roflmao:

PS:The bill broke down as

1GB Memory Upgrade  £60
160GB Hard Disk £48
DVDRW Drive  £25
Upgrade OSX 10.2 to OSX10.4.11
Call Out Charge £55
Labour £192

Total Cost £380

(Spot the Mug or What ... :) )