Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 7200 rpm  (Read 2302 times)

Description:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: 7200 rpm
« Reply #14 from previous page: May 21, 2005, 03:03:31 PM »
@Framiga

I personally, use a Themp/probe meter (hardware) and i've always found the the various themperature reports (don't care if on PC-Peg-AOne) are almost fake.

I guess you missed blobrana's comment:

and also via a temp sensor attached under the cover
of the HD

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 03:03:59 PM »
Many ATX cases come with hardware temp sensors that display their results on an LCD screen at the front of the case.  Much the same as on that case of Blobrana's I imagine.

The ambient temperature of the room I am sitting in right now is 11 degrees Celsius, and it's bloody freezing! :-D

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 03:07:46 PM »
you cant rely on the accuracy of the software, and HW probes can be fooled as to where they are actually placed (in the air flow etc)

ohhh . . this is the key point.

I think that everyone, has his references for "things" in general.

To claim the your (or whatever else HD-CPU_chipset) runs at ## degrees, its relative (and not an absolute reference).

Thats all :-)

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2005, 03:11:10 PM »
Piru . . i gues that you want to litigue (as in your habit) and not and not to discuss/speak civilly.

You were right and i was wrong . . are you happy now?

Offline Piru

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2005, 03:12:22 PM »
@Framiga
i've always found the the various themperature
reports (don't care if on PC-Peg-AOne) are almost fake.

And I've found that using uncalibrated temperature sensors is always a bad idea.

S.M.A.R.T drive sensors are at least calibrated, and temp measured inside the drive, rather than somewhere outside where the airflow can affect the result.

I haven't so far seen radically wrong readings from S.M.A.R.T.

i gues that you want to litigue (as in your habit) and not and not to discuss/speak civilly.

?

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
Re: Ambient Temp
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2005, 03:20:08 PM »
Hum,
time for an Ambient Temp thread?

Over here 20 degrees Celcius (do not ajust your heating)ambient temp.

Here another image with SETI switched off..an fans put onto stealth mode

And link to Startech 2-fan Hard Drive Cooler

(Its cheap, but one 3" silent fan will do the same job if you can mount it to blow air (between/over) your HD)

Offline Piru

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »
@orange
Anyway. Back to the topic.

All 'newer' HDDs work with 7200 rpm and get very hot.

Not all hard drives. For example Seagate Barracuda 7200 remain <45 C with about 20 C ambient, and no airflow except PSU.

Many Amiga IDE and SCSI controllers can have HDD mounted directly on card. Can that heat damage the controller?

Actually I'd be more concerned about the drive itself, rather than the controller. If the drive remains under the recommended maximum temperature, then there is no problem (for the controller either).

I suggest you refer to the manual (online or physical) of the harddrive in question and mount a temperature sensor to figure out if the temp raises above the max with some stress test (copy lots of files around for example).

If it stays below the max, you're safe.

If the temperature gets close to the limit or even above it, then you should arrange some extra cooling. In most cases adding a fan is enough. In some rare occasions special harddrive cooler kit (HDD heatsink enclosure + fan) might be needed.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005, 03:56:07 PM »
My Seagate 120GB disk's temp is between 30 and 35C on average.  I'd hardly call that hot.

Offline blobrana

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 04:13:04 PM »
Hum,

but if it was a competition as to who had the coolest HD then you would lose.

But yeah, seagates are ok. (i havn`t had too much probs with maxtors though a few ppl have said they blow up and are a bit noisy.)

:-)

(has anyone mentioned buffers yet?)

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 05:19:55 PM »
All 'newer' HDDs work with 7200 rpm and get very hot.

Hmm... I wouldn't really call this hot, either...  A 120GB Western Digital S-ATA 7200 RPM with no active cooling on it, other than (closed) case airflow.

Local Temp is the CPU core. (P4 3.0C HT)
Remote Temp is (I think) chipset. (Intel i865PE)
HD1 is the hard drive (shows as 1 because it's on the SATA bus.)
Temp 3 is case temperature.
I don't think Temp 1, Temp 2, or Temp 1 (again) are hooked to anything.  

And these readings are from a room that is currently a rather sweltering 27C.

With some strategically placed fans, a little ductwork, some good heatsinks, and artic silver, you can keep the most notorious hot-running rigs cool, even in adverse conditions.  :)

What was the point of all of this?  Well, I'm not sure.  I got derailed somewhere.  I think I was just trying to say that you should go for the hard drive you want, and if you're concerned about heat factors, get some monitoring going, keep an eye on your temperatures, and think about case layout for a day or two.  If the temps are higher than you'd like to see, add some more cooling to some strategic location.  :)

Offline blobrana

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 05:43:38 PM »
 :lol:

Offline Brian

• Show only replies by Brian
    • http://www.syntaxsociety.se
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 08:27:37 PM »
Above a surtan point heat will start lowering the life expectansy of a harddrive. If the airflow is bad around the cards (witch it is in most cases) and you have a drive that's running hot I do belive there's a chance of damaging components on the controller ther drive sits on aswell as cards close by. You're much better of monting the drive somewhere else in the chassi.

In the new tower (Cooler Master Stacker) for my A4000, fans will keep the drives cool (coolermaster got this nice module to mount four 3.5" drives in three 5.25" slots with a fan in front of it and rubber barings on the sides for lowering noice).

I've killed a drive by keeping it in one of those plastic harddrive racks without a fan you can get for like 10$, that's why my new rack is made out of aluminium and have a fan (with controller on front) aswell as a heatprobe, display and alarm system (nice little thing that set me back over 50$). Just to be on the safe side and to lower noice even further in this tower I got myself a CoolerMaster Aerogate3 to controll the 4 fans that sit in the tower... it also have 4 heatprobes (and display) so I'm thinking of having it check the PPC, 060, Voodoo3 and my 9Gb UWSCSI drive.

Yes I'm letting go of the firm grip of my wallet to finaly give my A4000 a pallase of a tower. :-D