Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga and UAE. Getting started..  (Read 2219 times)

Description:

Offline kd7otaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
Amiga and UAE. Getting started..
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:53:33 PM »
Hey,

I have decided to take up on emulating the Amiga again. I was wondering if it would be better to have a dedicated Amiga harddrive to run with WinUAE, or should I just have a good sized hardfile?

I dont know if I even want to mess with 3.1 and have all that advanced Amiga screens. I miss just having AGA and an 030 accelerator with 32mb ram and a 800mb harddrive. :)

So what would the rest of you recommend. Dedicated harddrive or hardfile? :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: Amiga and UAE. Getting started..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 02:06:45 AM »
If you have XP go for the hard drive.  Otherwise it won't work so you'll have to go with the hard file AFAIK.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 03:03:39 AM »
i have windows2000 and simply use a partition. amiga files don't take up THAT much space. i have never made a hardfile. found the idea scary. anyway, everything basically works ok as is.
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 03:56:37 AM »

cecilia wrote:
i have windows2000 and simply use a partition. amiga files don't take up THAT much space. i have never made a hardfile. found the idea scary. anyway, everything basically works ok as is.

Everyone who says "Don't bother with a hardfile" - how do you install WB to what as far as the Ami is concerned is a non-existent drive?  Yes, I know you can mount PC drives at start up but how do you make it, or a folder, an amiga HD as far as UAE is concerned?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 05:26:56 AM »
Under the Settings | Hardware | Hard Drives configuration screen, there's an "Add Directory..." button that allows you to mount a directory as a disk device under the emulation.

After clicking the button, you're presented with four textboxes and a checkbox: Device Name, Volume Label, Path, BootPri, and Read/Write.

Leave "Device Name" blank. WinUAE will automatically allocate the next available device name.

Enter a label in "Volume Label" (e.g. Workbench).

Enter a path in "Path" (e.g. C:\Amiga\Workbench).

Check the "Read/Write" checkbox as appropriate.

WinUAE should have set the BootPri textbox to 0. Leave this alone unless you want to manually manage the boot priority of your devices.

For a standard Amiga OS 3.x setup, you'll need to add two hard drives:

Device Name: [blank]
Volume Label: Workbench
Path: C:\Amiga\Workbench
Read/Write: Checked
BootPri: 0

Volume Label: Work
Path: C:\Amiga\Work

A hardfile is only necessary if you're a masochist (or if you're playing with software that doesn't like the directory emulation). Most of the features requiring hardfiles (e.g. extended file attributes) are now supported by mounted directories. I'm not sure about symbolic links, so you might still need a hardfile if you plan on working with the Geek Gadgets toolchain.

Using a real hard disk is fun and sometimes convenient (I use 1 GB Jaz disks for different environments), but it's still not 100% safe.

Trev

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 10:41:24 PM »
Hum,
 Agreed.

@kd7ota

I have XP, and i just use a folder on my second HD....
A lot more convenient...You can easily access Amiga files from the PC side as well.

I have an `empty` 100mb hard disk containing just an untouched standard OS3.9, but it’s faster to boot from my custom OS inside a PC folder...

:-)

Offline kd7otaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 01:15:12 AM »
Sounds good of just having a folder.

Yea, i can understand that having a dedicated drive has its advantages, but you gotta have XP in order to do so.

And for file sharing would be easier to just drag and drop in folders.  :-)
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 01:29:59 AM »

Trev wrote:
Under the Settings | Hardware | Hard Drives configuration screen, there's an "Add Directory..." button that allows you to mount a directory as a disk device under the emulation.

After clicking the button, you're presented with four textboxes and a checkbox: Device Name, Volume Label, Path, BootPri, and Read/Write.

Leave "Device Name" blank. WinUAE will automatically allocate the next available device name.

Enter a label in "Volume Label" (e.g. Workbench).

Enter a path in "Path" (e.g. C:\Amiga\Workbench).

Check the "Read/Write" checkbox as appropriate.

WinUAE should have set the BootPri textbox to 0. Leave this alone unless you want to manually manage the boot priority of your devices.

For a standard Amiga OS 3.x setup, you'll need to add two hard drives:

Volume Label: Workbench
Path: C:\Amiga\Workbench

Volume Label: Work
Path: C:\Amiga\Work

A hardfile is only necessary if you're a masochist (or if you're playing with software that doesn't like the directory emulation). Most of the features requiring hardfiles (e.g. extended file attributes) are now supported by mounted directories. I'm not sure about symbolic links, so you might still need a hardfile if you plan on working with the Geek Gadgets toolchain.

Using a real hard disk is fun and sometimes convenient (I use 1 GB Jaz disks for different environments), but it's still not 100% safe.

Trev

Excellent.  How do I manage the size of the "drive"?  Or does it expand as needed?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Ross_Geller

• Show only replies by Ross_Geller
    • http://lee.rowson.co.nz/
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 03:26:16 AM »
The "drive" will have the total space and free disk space of the drive that it is stored on.

In my case I have 5 directories mounted, all from the same real drive.  I end up in WinUAE with all of them reporting that they have 80GB storage and 756MB free to use on my 80GB drive. I've got some sorting and deleting to do :-)
\\"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us\\"

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 09:40:05 AM »
As Ross_Geller said, you don't need to worry about it from the emulation's perspective. WinUAE passes all Amiga disk access calls to the relevant Win32 API calls, so you can continue to manage your Windows disks just like you always do.

The added bonus is that you can use Windows Explorer outside the emulation to move files around. I think the latest WinUAE even signals Amiga OS (via the virtual device) when disk changes are made outside the emulation. [Checking. . . .] Or not. :-P

Trev