Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why did 1mb RAM make such a big difference on Amiga games and not on x86 games?  (Read 5686 times)

Description:

Offline Revener

• Show only replies by Revener
    • http://www.banished.nu
Re: Why did 1mb RAM make such a big difference on Amiga games and not on x86 games?
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 24, 2003, 02:47:44 PM »
@ Kin Tutt
Yeah gogogogo I'm totally with you on this.

Will be in Amiga til the end of time
even though I'm mostly a gamer and only uses my Amiga sporadicly these days (mainly coz I never upgraded it past a 030 and been waiting for my friend to find his broken A4000 so I can have his PPC card for free ;-) ).
If you have ghosts you have everything

Roky rulz!!!

Offline KingTuttTopic starter

• Show only replies by KingTutt

Revener wrote:
@ Kin Tutt
Yeah gogogogo I'm totally with you on this.

Will be in Amiga til the end of time
even though I'm mostly a gamer and only uses my Amiga sporadicly these days (mainly coz I never upgraded it past a 030 and been waiting for my friend to find his broken A4000 so I can have his PPC card for free ;-) ).

Good to see I'm not a lone voice in the wilderness. I am not asking for much. Just a return to my beloved OS with a solid and proper PPC port. Everything else will fall into place after that. Sure, Hyperion will be doing the hard yards to get us to point A, but really... once the platform is launched it will be the community who will take on the marathon torch.

I just want to see those Courier letters
Amiga inc 1985-2003 at the load up screen with the sky or royal blue blue background and I am sold!

Bring back the red amiga mouse pointer I say!
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline Hammer

• Show only replies by Hammer

jeffimix wrote:
The Xbox has a many bit processor, I though it was 128 like other consoles out there...  you'd have to do a lot of really heavy work to port windows. Or are the processors stil 64 bti like the N64? Which doesn't seem right to me...

XBOX's has the following;
+ Pentium III/Celeron variant has 128Kb L2 cache.  It has 32bit(or 36bit extended) memory address capability with 64 bit data I/O.  (Recalling) Pentium III/Celeron’s L1 to L2 cache interface is 256bit wide (for internal I/O operations).
+ The 250 MHz Custom-Designed NV2X is a variant of a low end Geforce 3 (NV20, DirectX 8 class GPU). The GPU itself is a 256bit part i.e. post-Geforce 256(NV10). This includes texture compression.
+ XBOX’s chipset is a variant of nVidia’s nForce IGP chipset. e.g. http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=apu

One could kitbash a similar performing box with AMD Duron @800Mhz, nForce 1, Geforce 3-200, 64MB DDR SDRAM.
Amiga 1200 PiStorm32-Emu68-RPI 4B 4GB.
Ryzen 9 7900X, DDR5-6000 64 GB, RTX 4080 16 GB PC.