Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Replacement Workbench 3.1 Disk Sets www.amigakit.com  (Read 6523 times)

Description:

Offline amigakitTopic starter

New Replacement Workbench 3.1 Disk Sets www.amigakit.com
« on: November 03, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »
Our customers have regularly been asking for replacement Workbench floppy disk sets since their older disks have either become corrupted or worn out due to age.  About a year ago, we approached our friends at Cloanto to enquire about a possible solution.  As a result, we are pleased to announce the immediate availability of new Workbench 3.1 Floppy Disk Set

This new distribution comes with some minor enhancements and updates:

- Updated C/Version (Y2K patch)
- Addition of Libs/workbench.library (for A-4000T 3.1 ROMs and 3.X ROMs)
- Updated S/Startup-Sequence (for 3.X ROMs)
- Updated Installer 44.10 and FastFileSystem 45.9 (to support larger disks)
- Installer itself is now part of the system installation (inside the Utilities directory)

As you may notice these disk sets are also compatible with the Amiga 4000T (workbench.library on floppy) so there is no requirement any longer to have two distributions of Workbench 3.1 media.

Direct Product Links:

United Kingdom Store

Europe Store

United States Store

Canada Store

Thank you to Cloanto for their support in this project
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:54:17 PM by amigakit »
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: New Replacement Workbench 3.1 Disk Sets www.amigakit.com
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:57:35 PM »
Good price too! :-)

Offline Paulie85

• Show only replies by Paulie85
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »
Good to see this.Is there a chance that in future you could enhance it even more? It was amazing to see what Cammy/Rebel achieved with 3.1 and only 16 colours. Would something like that be possible?

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:22:46 PM »
I will be ordering a set of these soon as I am done moving to the new house.

Any chance we could see an updated AmigaOS3.9 CDROM published in the future, with Boing Bags 1 & 2 already added, plus a collection of further enhanced files that people have been working on for years for a proposed Boing Bag 3?

I know getting all of the contributors to agree to a new AOS3.9 release would be difficult, as some of them may have left the community in recent years, but it never hurts to ask, even if the answer is NO.  With the possibility of new FPGA clones of Amiga hardware coming out within the next year at speeds equal to over 300MHz  Motorola 68000, plus some of the features of the 68020 and higher series chips implemented, and with the possibility of Picasso96 RTG emulation included, I would think that many users might be interested in purchasing a new updated version of AmigaOS3.9, to run on these new accelerators, or stand alone systems.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:35:57 PM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Niding

• Show only replies by Niding
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:48:48 PM »
Ordered WB 3.1 while AmigaKit was stuck on Amiwest.

Hope they arrive soon, so I can do a clean install of my WB. Since Ive been re-learning WB 3.0 while adding hardware here and there, I get error messages. Learn by trial and error ;)

I was looking thru Cammys WB pallette/workbench setup just now. It really looks great!

I guess the skins shes mentioning in the post is giving the Startbutton and Workbench upper bar.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=51657

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=732542&postcount=114
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:54:49 PM by Niding »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
Q: Wasn´t Cloanto´s workbench distribution license only valid for emulation purposes? If then, can this be considered an ilicit act?

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 10:59:45 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;776630
for a proposed Boing Bag 3

BB3 is already out, so is BB4, if you count the community-driven projects available for download here:

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/bbag4.htm

Occasionally people have trouble installing them, but that's the nature of Amiga software in general for ya. Many crazy configs, occasionally someone's going to have an issue. Myself and many others run them daily without any trouble. Runs like butter on my A2000! ;)

There's even updates beyond this, things like Peter K's icon.library that's updated every month or so.  Definitely worth a look on Aminet for updates to many of the "core" OS files!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:02:49 PM »
Quote from: Niding;776632
I was looking thru Cammys WB pallette/workbench setup just now. It really looks great!

If you haven't already seen it, check out this guide.  Works great on mid-spec ECS machines, if that's what you have.

http://www.mfilos.com/2012/01/guide-making-workbench-prettier-using.html
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Niding

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 11:19:24 PM »
My setup is;

A1200 with Blizzard 1230/50 Acceleration card+16 megabytes
Indivision mk 2
CF 4 gig
AmigaOne Keyboard
USB Mouse
RapidRoad 2xUSB thru clockport

So its a decently tricked out A1200 :P

(still havent gotten around to get the CD rom going, but Im sure WB 3.1 should be enough).

BUT I will check out the blog. Thanks :) (EDIT: checked it out, very nice!)

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 11:37:28 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;776634
BB3 is already out, so is BB4, if you count the community-driven projects available for download here:

http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/bbag4.htm

Occasionally people have trouble installing them, but that's the nature of Amiga software in general for ya. Many crazy configs, occasionally someone's going to have an issue. Myself and many others run them daily without any trouble. Runs like butter on my A2000! ;)

There's even updates beyond this, things like Peter K's icon.library that's updated every month or so.  Definitely worth a look on Aminet for updates to many of the "core" OS files!

I sort of knew that already, but thought that BB1 & 2 were the only official Boing Bags released and everything after that was unofficial.

My point remains that some users would prefer an updated AmigaOS3.9 CD with all of the latest improvements already included, plus a comprehensive Install Script that would give us choices to install or not install any of the more questionable recent upgrades for AmigaOS3.x, would be really great.  Some users out there (maybe you) are much better and more patient at testing and installing dozens of new patches and updated files, to get the most modern and efficient AmigaOS3.x experience, while others (like me) just want to pop a CD into the drive and hit the install button, with the possible exception of making a few simple choices on files that work better in certain situations, or on certain specific hardware models.

It would be a difficult job to find and obtain all of the approvals from 3rd party developers who have contributed to all the parts contained within AmigaOS3.9 and all of the Boing Bags since that time.  Some of them may want a small royalty for selling their work again (which is fine with me).  I would guess Hyperion would need to be involved, as I believe that they own the rights to AmigaOS3.9 (possibly excluding a few parts of it contributed by those same 3rd party developers), but I think it could be done, if someone had the determination to stick with it and track down everyone that has contributed.

I appreciate the people still working on updating AmigaOS3.x, because I never want to see that part of our community fade away, even though I am also a MorphOS and AmigaOS4.x supporter and user.

Edit:  Just thought of another way in which much less approvals would be needed.  If the updated AmigaOS3.9 were only an executable file that only contained the required files that have been added or modified after AmigaOS3.9 BB2, then it could include in the installer script, options to specify the locations of the users AmigaOS3.9 CD or ISO file and the two Boing Bag files on his hard drive.  Then it would use those resources to do a new install that included the new and updated files that make up the unofficial Boing Bag 3 & 4 contributions.  That way no copyright or intellectual property infringement would occur.  The only downside to this idea is that those original AmigaOS3.9 CD's will eventually begin to fail or contain read errors.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:57:24 PM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
Pretty cool there is def a need for this!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;776633
Q: Wasn´t Cloanto´s workbench distribution license only valid for emulation purposes? If then, can this be considered an ilicit act?

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Perhaps they're supplied just to use with emulation.  Shame if the disks "accidentally" slipped inside a real Amiga.  ;)

Nice idea to update some of the files.  Perhaps some pre-configured media cards containing complete hard drive setups of ClassicWB, Better Workbench, etc. could be marketed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 12:14:06 AM by Darrin »
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 12:22:36 AM »
Lets face it, most of our Commodore Workbench disks are at least 20 years old now.  I keep mine still wrapped up and use backups to preserve them.  However we get a lot of telephone calls from customers with read/write errors struggling to boot their Workbench etc.

Offline Niding

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »
A bit offtopic;

But will my amiga-setup as shown above+the network card I ordered for the A1200 be able to use AmiStore? Or will the Store be restricted for ClassicPPC Amigas?

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 12:37:21 AM »
Yes.  Quite a bit off topic :) an 030 is going to stuggle.  My 060 finds it difficult.  I will develop a more primitive GadTools version later for 030s.