Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: missing game disks  (Read 1181 times)

Description:

Offline wizkidTopic starter

• Show only replies by wizkid
missing game disks
« on: August 12, 2005, 10:07:24 PM »
hello!

i was bored tonight so i dug out a box of all my old amiga games and had a look through... im a bit gutted to see that im missing a few discs for games :-(

does anybody know if its possible to get replacement disc of the net...im talking about downloading them and then copying them on to a disc to use on my amiga? or is it just emulators that are available? personally i dont like the idea of emulators...if im going to play an amiga game i want it to be on my trusty old amiga!!

thanks!! (ps did anybody have the game im named after!!)

EDIT: forgot to say its an amiga 500!!!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Re: missing game disks
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 10:21:15 PM »
Welcome to Amiga.org,  (I see this is your first post here)

there are many sites that have adf's (Amiga Disk Files) of old programs and games.  The challenge is, do you have a way of writing this file to a floppy disk that is formatted for an Amiga in the computer that you have connected to the Internet?  Chances are that you are not contacting Amiga.org from your Amiga computer.  There are devices, such as the Catweazle floppy disk controller that can use a PC disk drive to write Amiga formatted 880kb floppy disks.  This is the reason that so many people use emulators, it is just plain easier for most people to run old software that they get off the Internet that way.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline wizkidTopic starter

• Show only replies by wizkid
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
ahh...i dont think i have any formatted 880kb discs that i would like to write over (they all have my old games on them lol)and what u described does sound complicated ...thank you for the reply though!

this bout of amiga nostalga im having was brought on my playing destroy all humans on my ps2...it reminded me of it came from the desert!! what a great game...i used to love the part where u sneak out of the hospital!!!

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:02:05 AM »

wizkid wrote:
ahh...i dont think i have any formatted 880kb discs that i would like to write over

You can reformat "normal" 1.4Mb 3.5" floppies and use those on the Amiga - or on a PC with a Catweasel. In some cases, you may need to put a piece of tape over the high density hole at the top left of the disk.

Getting stuff off the Internet and on to an Amiga isn't too difficult, though it can be time-consuming to get everything set up initially. There are various Internet-based guides on how to do this (check Google).

Assuming you have access to an Internet-connected PC, the rough steps if you don't have any special hardware or a connection between the Amiga and PC are:

1. Download the ADF image of the game you require
2. Compress the ADF using WinZip (or similar) and hope that it compresses below 720Kb!
3. Format a 720Kb disk from within Windows
4. Copy the compressed ADF file on to the 720Kb disk
5. Insert the 720Kb disk into the Amiga
6. Unzip the compressed ADF file into the Amiga's RAM disk (or hard drive if you have one)
7. Use an ADF to disk utility to write the ADF out to a real Amiga 880Kb disk

The above assumes you have some sort of filesystem on the Amiga that's able to read DOS floppy disks.

ADF to disk utilities, as well as other items of use to you, can be found here: http://www.classicamiga.com/emutools.htm

Regards,

- Ali