Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Protein" workshop cpu-card  (Read 3662 times)

Description:

Offline RatteTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ratte
"Protein" workshop cpu-card
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:35:17 AM »
a typical german amiga meeting
I think it is the same everywhere, people are sitting around and build there own turbocards, didnt you?

read more ...
http://eab.abime.net/hardware-pics/70779-typical-german-amiga-meeting.html

Workshop cpu-card "Protein" for A500/2000
68000/68010 @ 7 & 14 MHz
8 MB FastMem
Clockport
IDE (A600 compatible)

1020 Dhrystones / A600 factor = 1.92 / SysInfo-rating: Excellent!

Re: "Protein" workshop cpu-card
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »
Now this is why I love the Germans! :)

Offline freqmax

• Show only replies by freqmax
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:47:13 PM »
1.92 times is a turbo? ;)

Offline majsta

• Show only replies by majsta
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »
I must admit that board looks so nice and elegant. Piece of art. I like the most that "retro" parts like resistors and large diodes were used :)

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »
Well that is just amazing!  Really... Excellent!  :D

Looks like a good old fashion assembly line production, or did each person build their own?  Any plans for a faster chip?  Any problems closing the case or fitting the keyboard with that verticle SIMM mount?  Any speed data on the IDE bus?  I suppose I should ask on the original thread, haha.  ;)

I'm thrilled to see that the unit will be offered for sale, and it looks like a pretty reasonable price (for an A500-compatible accelerator), as well.  Need to get something like this set up over on this side of the pond!
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
You know, I see stuff like this and find myself disappointed in Jens. This proves he could have made an internal A500 accelerator, he just chose not to. Nope. He just wanted to make a ridiculously expensive "adapter" for his higher-end A1200 accelerators. Completely lazy, if you ask me. :(
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:43:54 PM »
^^^^ This.  I am a huge fan of many of his other products, but that A500 adapter seems very ill-conceived.  :(
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:04:41 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;748323
You know, I see stuff like this and find myself disappointed in Jens. This proves he could have made an internal A500 accelerator, he just chose not to. Nope. He just wanted to make a ridiculously expensive "adapter" for his higher-end A1200 accelerators. Completely lazy, if you ask me. :(

There are already several internal accelerators for an A500 but only one external (the rare GVP 530), so a new external accelerator is a good choice in my opinion.

This protein board looks nice and indeed the big resistors are definitly A500 spirit.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
At the meeting, we had 20 participants and the aim was to familiarize themselves with the soldering and electronics. The card was only the incidental result of our efforts. Each participant has assembled his own card. The components were chosen extra so that beginners could solder the card. Then, the code of the CPLDs was discussed, as well as programming software and hardware.

afaik everything will be released as opensource
costs for pcb and parts: arround 60 € + some time for soldering
btw. pcb design is done by a 15 year old a1k-member
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:27:41 PM by Ratte »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »
Interesting card.
Classic owners/users are getting a few choices in recent times, which is great, and also shows there's reasonable interest in the platform.

In regards to the Individual Computers stuff, history seems to suggest that theyre more a business than enthusiasts. Not really a criticism as its provided people with new gear, but Im loving the fact that genuine fans/users with skills and knowledge are now also getting involved and offering other options (without money being the prominent interest).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Xanxi;748327
There are already several internal accelerators for an A500 but only one external (the rare GVP 530), so a new external accelerator is a good choice in my opinion.

This protein board looks nice and indeed the big resistors are definitly A500 spirit.

This is the most asinine thing I've seen on here. There's not "several" accelerators for the A500. There's *NONE*. You can't buy one, except second-hand (and that's assuming you can actually *FIND* one for sale.) All of the "new" A500 accelerators are currently in progress. The Zeus isn't ready. The ACA500 isn't ready. The Vampire isn't ready. So tell me, where are these "several internal accelerators" you seem to know about?

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:28:31 PM by Methuselas »

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 11:28:03 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;748330

In regards to the Individual Computers stuff, history seems to suggest that theyre more a business than enthusiasts.

And yet, when told what people wanted, he chose to ignore it, instead making an external one that allows you to plug in one of his fancy-lad A1200 accelerators. Let's do the math here:

ACA500 - 100$
ACA1200 - 150$

So, I'm stuck paying 100$ for an underwhelming accelerator, plus another 150$ for one that's MORE than adequate? He's even admitted that blizzards and what not don't work with his adapter card (and why would he make them, as that takes away from his revenue?) It doesn't even come with a case, meaning you'll have to pay, yet again, to get one, 'cos who in their right mind would have an exposed electronic hanging from an already 25 year old machine? That's just asking for trouble.

Fact is, it's absolutely lazy on his part. He could have redesigned a new accelerator, that had an 030 with 128mb of ram for the A500, but he chose not to. His excuse was simply there's "no market for it", but there's evidently a market for him to sell *TWO* accelerators to an A500 user, like myself, that wants a little oomph for his A500. Of course he makes a substandard accelerator-adapter hybrid for the A500. He makes TWICE the money.

It's not rocket science.....

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 05:31:56 AM »
Exactly, as I said, more of a business than enthusiasts.
It's not exactly new behaviour for them. Catweasel pretty much rely on 3rd party drivers, and features for things like Indivision didnt happen, instead people had to buy the new model to hope for what they mightve bought the original for.

When you have close to a monopoloy you can get away with this sort of behaviour, which is why Im glad there's becoming alternatives by enthusiasts.
There's definately talent and Individual Computers, and theyve had some decent products, but in light of alternatives hopefully they'll rethink their "stratergies".
Having said this though, surely by now the old saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" applies.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 07:52:21 AM »
There is nothing wrong with running a business!
They also tend to be a bit more serious than "just" running things as a hobby.

Besides that, there is nothing wrong in charging what ever amount, is necessary, to at least cover the development costs.