Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (QUESTION) Are AmigaOne owners bieng asked to keep quiet????  (Read 4541 times)

Description:

Offline Kurt

• Show only replies by Kurt
Re: (QUESTION) Are AmigaOne owners bieng asked to keep quiet????
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 06, 2003, 01:11:47 AM »
I had an Amigaone G3 traded it in for a G4
No one ever mentioned not to post problems

In fact most problems have been made public knowledge on the A1 list and are discussed in detail in various forums.

certain things are of the oops nature you know the latest bios update failed to initialize the PAR: port. somebody mentioned it  and the next rom update that was fixed but then someone recompiled debian and the floppy was disabled.
you know as one problem is fixed something else invariably pops up. when you have a number of people working on things somethings get fixed while breaking other things. Sometimes the smart thing is to sit back for a few days wait till it gets sorted out before jumping into the fray.

The AtriciaS bugs not to start a war. But any rational nonbiased person would say they are minor and fixable in software once you are aware of them. To prove my point Genesi manufactured several dozen more pegasos boards after Bill Buck cliamed to have tossed the rest of the AtriciaS chips out for being buggy. Marketing hype nothing more.

Ask any Pegasos or Amigaone owner about thier boards and they woulds tell you the same thing yes they work no they are not any more unstable than your typical PC or jazzed up Amiga. the stability is from the beta nature of the software not dire hardware failures

Overheating of the G4s is a common problem on the Amigaone because of the anemic Heatsink that was supplied by Eyetech My suggestion is rip it off and place a decent sized one on it. Get one designed for a Radeon or Gforce card it should plug right in just make sure you put the power plug in right.
EI read the docs. Some fans will short the 12V and the 3.3v lines if you are not careful.
better yet forget the plug on the board if you are not sure and get an adapter to plug it into the power supply
the only other major problem people had with the Pegasos and Amigaones are the fact that the AtriciaS is real finicky about the type of RAM it takes. Many Amigaone owner had problems with insability because of ram incompatibilities My suggestion buy the ram from your Amiga pegasos dealer might cost a few more dollars than your bargain ram from Super micro mega wharehouse. But it works.

Kurt

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2003, 04:13:16 AM »
only prob ihave had was memory issues , but then again linux is a problem, i hate it...
so it wont be much used until i get os4 on it...

anyway as everyone else said here, i havent heard of such an thing to be quiet, infact i am against such.

bugs and problems should be open to all , either if its pegasos or amigaone or a x86 board etc.
because we do actually oWN the hardware and we have bought it from hard earned cash.

anyway my hard earned a1xe800 stands in my closet atm and gathering dust, i find my old a1200 better since it have aos...simple as that.

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2003, 04:46:08 AM »
Don't worry, NONE of the amiga stuff, be it hardware or software, is as buggy as Windows on PC compat. WIndows has tons of bugs, it just has 2 gigs of code, so you run into a very small perecentage, I'm not a dev so I probably run into a tiny fraction of Xp bugs (actually for me, Xp is alright, not Fun per se, but it works) I crashed my cousins windows Me laptop in about 2 minutes. Mellenium Edition proves people will buy shyte computer products so long as its prepackaged (99% M$). Despite what many vendors are trying to claim isn't true, PCs are no less complex than they were in the 80s, if not more so...
[/rant]

Don't worry, I bet A1s are rock solid compared to most PCs
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline Fot

• Show only replies by Fot
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2003, 04:56:59 AM »
meerschaum, why do I get the impression you're trying to spread fud about the... what did you call it again? WaffleOne

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2003, 08:18:30 AM »

lempkee wrote:
only prob ihave had was memory issues , but then again linux is a problem, i hate it...
so it wont be much used until i get os4 on it...

anyway my hard earned a1xe800 stands in my closet atm and gathering dust, i find my old a1200 better since it have aos...simple as that.

Yep.. This is the other reason I don't expect much comments from AmigaOne users. I know by my own experience tha Linux ain't right for everyone, and it's sure to cause quite many users to stop using machine while waiting OS4 to appear. Or alternatively suffering with badly installed/configured Linux... and it's not much to write about.

IMHO offering a machine with Amiga nametag and Linux as only available OS was quite misleading. It's a kinda expensive item to keep on closet or box while waiting...

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2003, 12:56:57 PM »

zacman wrote:
>What a strange claim.

(...)
>The only requests made have been to post queries
>to the dev list, rather than to open fora

Hm, that's exactly what the other guy said, no?

Surely that wiould be sensible?  Rather than posting, "My AmigaOne is broken" on ANN actually go and post on a list where.
a)People can help.
b)Eyetech can see any problems and then resolve them from the future. Or do you expect Eyetech to have to trawl though every single comment on every single site?

Some people are just trying to make something out of nothing.  

@Lando
You'd only want to know warts and all so you could tear it out of the A1 and tell everyone to go buy a Peg and MOS instead.  

@JoannaK
Do you really think an Earlybird purchaser is going to open up the package and go "Shit! Where's OS 4?".  How is it misleading?  The Hardware itself has ZERO to do with Amiga hardware anyways.

I think that although people have aired dirty laundry out in the open no-one wants to disclose everything during this crucial, sensitive time in the process.  Genesi even asked people not to post Screenshots of thier Ambient desktops at one point.  People around here are so used to public bitch-fights that they don't seem to grasp that some parts have to be kept undisclosed until products are actually ready for proper consumer market.

For once lets just let the products do the talking OK?

Offline Rudei

• Show only replies by Rudei
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2003, 01:04:06 PM »
For once lets just let the products do the talking OK?

Here here - well in Uncharted!
2017 Camaro 2SS

Offline Cojo

• Show only replies by Cojo
    • http://www.amigaquake.tk
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2003, 01:47:40 PM »
well, i guess every amigaone owner got his own experience with the "amigaohne" (german word play "amigawithout"),
so here is mine ;)

putting the thing together was quiet easy, ist just a normal atx board.
on first poweron everything was fine. the machine was running without any signs of a hardware problem.
the first thing i did notice was that it did not find my scsi controller.
its a symbios 53c8xx based card, so it should have worked.
unfourtunatly the pci device adress for scsi is a fixed value with the current amigaone bios (uboot), but this is going to be "fixed".
so i got myself some aged ide harddrive and 1 ide dvdrom to get the thing to run something at all.
unlucky me had decided to go for a radeon 9100, that made the graphical interface (xserver)  impossible to run, if you are not connected to the internet (unless you can happily go through a massive dependency tree).
well, 2 weeks later i got online and had the thing running.
if i tryed to start a browser it was crashing, pretty much strange i thought, but it was due to irq problems. took me just some days to find out, hey i was used to amigas and never taken care of irqs.
the browser was about to use sound and my soundcard was on the same irq as usb and network or was it with via stuff together?... cant remeber.
as i did try to enable dma for ide devices i had to reinstall linux thereafter, but thats probably not a bug in hardware, but my over 10 years old ide harddrive which doesnt seem to be dma capable ;)
still i was not happy, the mouse was connected to usb and running very unsmooth, replaced by a ps2 mouse later, made me change my mind about the xservers performance as well, linux did feel much better then.
so now i have my linux running nicely, scsi works with the kernel from the amigaone linux page and still i have strange things happening.
few days ago i found out the memory has biterrors, even tho i ordered it with the amigaone from my dealer, looks like im unlucky again and have to send the ram back in for a replacement. these simple memtesters in the linux pool didnt find the errors when i did the test some time ago, so i was about to blame the board, but i got prof it has to be the mem later then.
besides i had no clue of linux at the start, that made things like installing etc a very time consuming process for me, as i had to read like a maniac all the time how to do these and how to do that, this made me feel like a total computer newbie :)

so this is what you get if you give some clueless german pc style hardware and a linux ;)
at first i did blame linux, then i did blame the board, now i do stick to blame myself for not recognising the signs of bad memory.
(or maybe i blame kingston, yeah thats good :) )

Offline mrsad

• Show only replies by mrsad
    • http://members.chello.be/ws36055/
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2003, 02:30:04 PM »
When ordering my A1 board there was no mention of this. After recieving the box with all parts, a lot of guides and papers where included but none of these mentioned anything about 'not dicussing  possible problems'.

in fact, i did not sign an NDA of any kind, so who is going to stop/sue me if i tell something bad about the board? (not that i have anything bad to say about it anyway)  :-P
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2003, 02:49:39 PM »

@Lando
You'd only want to know warts and all so you could tear it out of the A1 and tell everyone to go buy a Peg and MOS instead.  

Well, I am hurt that you would think that.  

I think that most people who read my posts will agree that I am as impartial as the next person.

We have to judge both products on their merits and deficiencies but how can we do this if we're only hearing half the story?

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2003, 03:13:31 PM »

Lando wrote:

@Lando

I think that most people who read my posts will agree that I am as impartial as the next person.

We have to judge both products on their merits and deficiencies but how can we do this if we're only hearing half the story?

You are miles from impartial, jack.

And the whole thread being started by a dedicated Morphos fan?  Yeah, that doesn't reek.

edit: was corrected later in the thread
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline uncharted

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2003, 03:22:43 PM »

Lando wrote:

Well I can only go by what you post. Most recent posting:-

AmigaOne: No
It's a generic board, buggy, horrendously expensive and currently only runs linux.  The only connection it has in with the Amiga computer is the sticker that Eyetech put on it.  

Pegasos:  Yes.
It is custom designed (like the real Amiga) by Amiga hardware experts (like the real Amiga),  runs existing Amiga applications (both PPC and 68k) (like the real Amiga) .

Most people realise the Teron/AmigaOne is dead and it's only the real "name" fanatics who would still consider purchasing one, especially with all the problems people have been experiencing, and  the far-superior (and far cheaper) Pegasos II due out very soon.

I REALLY can't detect any bias there

Well if your waiting to hear the full story from either side you're in for a very long wait.  But then again it seems you have jack all interest in that anyways, you've made your mind up already.  

Both companies have gotten around the fact that both boards are not ready for consumer use by only releasing "Betatester" or "Earlybird" boards.   Both companies have (sensibly) held back information while they have rectified a problem.  Both companies have pretty much done the same things all the way through.

Offline uncharted

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2003, 03:27:57 PM »

And the whole thread being started by a dedicated Morphos user?  Yeah, that doesn't reek.

Actually Meer/Mips doesn't actually use MOS or a pegasos.  I thought I'd better point that out before the zealots jump down your throat and actually try to make an arguement out of it.

Still knowing Meer's long time stance it does seem a bit fishy. :-)

Offline Staticman

• Show only replies by Staticman
    • http://www.freewebs.com/staticdrummer
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2003, 03:50:11 PM »
Artica problems - bullshit.
Being asked to keep quiet - bullshit.
MorphOS users stirring up BULLSHIT.

:-x