Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (QUESTION) Are AmigaOne owners bieng asked to keep quiet????  (Read 4535 times)

Description:

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: (QUESTION) Are AmigaOne owners bieng asked to keep quiet????
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2003, 08:17:17 PM »
If you were selling buggy hardware, would you want your customers telling the World about it?  Of course not.  Same with Eyetech.

I know for a fact that a lot of people have had problems, but do we hear about these problems on forums so that prospective customers can get the full picture before parting with their hard-earned cash for an A1 board?   Do we heck.

I'm not saying that Eyetech should stop selling the boards but they should at least give people the full picture on what to expect when the board arrives, warts and all.  

It's hard to believe that people spend so much money on a product which doesn't work as it should, and  just put up with these problems without so much as a second thought.

Offline Staticman

• Show only replies by Staticman
    • http://www.freewebs.com/staticdrummer
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2003, 08:17:51 PM »
its a load of bull. i'm an earlybird owner and i have never been asked to keep quiet.

what a crap thread. just giving the pegasos trolls a chance to have a go at the amiga users again.

Offline zacman

• Show only replies by zacman
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2003, 08:23:05 PM »
>What a strange claim.

(...)
>The only requests made have been to post queries
>to the dev list, rather than to open fora

Hm, that's exactly what the other guy said, no?

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2003, 08:26:20 PM »
My motherboard worked first time and debian was easy to install i just need to work out how to sort the screenmode out but even my cheap 256 meg sd ram has caused no poblems .I will buy 512 mb off ecc later on . :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2003, 08:47:53 PM »
Oh yeah, could every one who's tried AROS please keep quiet about any problems :lol:

Only joking, all bug report are welcome.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2003, 08:58:42 PM »
@meer

Having never seen or heard of such a request, I can't say whether it is, or is not true.  Is it so hard to believe however that this is yet another instance where things are being blown way, way out of context?

If, for example, Eyetech and Hyperion have "100" bug reports on one known problem and tell their beta testers that "we are aware of this problem and will be fixing it shortly, but in the meantime, please don't make a big deal out of this." that really would constitute being asked to "keep things quiet".  However, in context, it's a perfectly rational request.

Offline meerschaumTopic starter

• Show only replies by meerschaum
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2003, 09:06:44 PM »
Wayne thats very true... wich is why I asked instead of stated... but its nevertheless a good question... I mean after the whole articia debacle the question still lingers... is the articia really that messed up? or what?... when can we see an objective source get both boards and see whats up...

but it appears its only a developer/beta tester thing and not a real problem anyway... still wanted to hear some input about it...

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2003, 10:44:20 PM »
Are AmigaOne owners being asked to keep quiet????

Why would you ask such a silly question?

Are Pegasos owners being asked to keep quiet???

---------------
redfox

Offline Damion

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2003, 10:45:39 PM »
Weren't the Artica bugs supposedly fixed before
they hit the G4 A1's? Did MAI redesign the whole
thing internally or what? I can't seem to find
any info either on the redesign/or whatever
route(s) they took to fix it.

It seems like alot of waffling going on here
about this nonesense and not very many
'sraight shooter' type answers.

Offline ssolie

• Show only replies by ssolie
    • http://www.solie.ca/
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2003, 10:45:51 PM »
@meerschaum

Next time, I'd appreciate it if you would reply to my post directly instead of making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I hope I don't get into any trouble over this but here is a quote from the web server:

About A1g3dev
A closed list forum for purchasers of the AmigaOne PPC boards for Linux-PPC and OS4.

Postings to this list are confidential to list members and must not be cross-posted to other lists or to individuals except by the moderator (Ole-Egil) or the list owner (Eyetech).

Perhaps my choice of language was too strong. Perhaps I made a leap of logic by considering all information on the private list to be sensitive and not just entire email messages. Oh well, my mistake.

In any case, I don't understand why those on the private list would say there is no more-sensitive-than-usual information on there. Members have full access to the archives but I suppose they haven't browsed them.

Like I said on AmigaWorld.net, I'm still disappointed we all can't share all the information and be on the same page but things are what they are for the time being. There is just too much noise and marketing out there which is why different groups have had to resort to private lists and the like. I still maintain that things will drastically improve once completed products begin to appear.
ExecSG Team Lead

Offline Clooned

• Show only replies by Clooned
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2003, 10:49:42 PM »
the only problem i have, apart to be a Debian newie, is overheating.

I live in Palma de mallorca, a very warm city in Spain, and I have to use my AmigaOne G4 with 3 fans inside the tower.

I think Eyetech changed the G4 module to solve this.  

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2003, 10:57:03 PM »
I still maintain that things will drastically improve once completed products begin to appear

ho hum... :-(

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2003, 11:37:44 PM »
Quite an amusing thread :-)

Reminds me of Blackadder 4, and Baldrick's suggestion of how to find out who was the German spy in the field hospital, going around asking everyone "are you a German spy?"

Or going up to any official and asking "is there a conspiracy?"

Meerschaum, you're in danger of getting a reputation of being a mud thrower :-)

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2003, 11:45:04 PM »

redfox wrote:
Are AmigaOne owners being asked to keep quiet????

Why would you ask such a silly question?

Are Pegasos owners being asked to keep quiet???

Well.. Can't comment on others but I'll been way too busy with all other things in my life to spend enough quality time with Pega. Besides, it works just the same as those people on verious reviews have been saying so there is not much left to be said.  So. I'll expect it's something similar to most other Pega/Aone users, if there is not much new to say, people don't babble..

For questions/help.. I'll rather ask on IRC cause it'll easier and replies come faster.  :-)

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2003, 11:48:52 PM »
@ ssolie
Like I said on AmigaWorld.net, I'm still disappointed we all can't share all the information and be on the same page but things are what they are for the time being.

The reason for this is simple.  Beta testers for most projects spot problems with products that aren't quite mature yet.  A product could have zillions of flaws in it, but quite frankly who cares if they've all been got rid of before the release?  What company would you class as better, one that could get rid of all the flaws before the product is released, or the one that doesn't?  Should the former have all chances of selling their product successfully because there were once flaws in their product, even before it was publicly available?

The logic isn't restricted to just people who want to earn money.  Anyone with any kind of responsibility should only speak out about it if there is a definite danger to those that person is responsible for.  Air stewardesses aren't going to shout "BOMB!" on an aeroplane just because they see a potentially suspect package, because there would be widespread panic.  Widespread panic doesn't help situations.

Giving the other side of my opinion though, companies should make their potential customers aware of issues with the product they are selling when the product is declared worthy for release.

Offline Kurt

• Show only replies by Kurt
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 06, 2003, 01:11:47 AM »
I had an Amigaone G3 traded it in for a G4
No one ever mentioned not to post problems

In fact most problems have been made public knowledge on the A1 list and are discussed in detail in various forums.

certain things are of the oops nature you know the latest bios update failed to initialize the PAR: port. somebody mentioned it  and the next rom update that was fixed but then someone recompiled debian and the floppy was disabled.
you know as one problem is fixed something else invariably pops up. when you have a number of people working on things somethings get fixed while breaking other things. Sometimes the smart thing is to sit back for a few days wait till it gets sorted out before jumping into the fray.

The AtriciaS bugs not to start a war. But any rational nonbiased person would say they are minor and fixable in software once you are aware of them. To prove my point Genesi manufactured several dozen more pegasos boards after Bill Buck cliamed to have tossed the rest of the AtriciaS chips out for being buggy. Marketing hype nothing more.

Ask any Pegasos or Amigaone owner about thier boards and they woulds tell you the same thing yes they work no they are not any more unstable than your typical PC or jazzed up Amiga. the stability is from the beta nature of the software not dire hardware failures

Overheating of the G4s is a common problem on the Amigaone because of the anemic Heatsink that was supplied by Eyetech My suggestion is rip it off and place a decent sized one on it. Get one designed for a Radeon or Gforce card it should plug right in just make sure you put the power plug in right.
EI read the docs. Some fans will short the 12V and the 3.3v lines if you are not careful.
better yet forget the plug on the board if you are not sure and get an adapter to plug it into the power supply
the only other major problem people had with the Pegasos and Amigaones are the fact that the AtriciaS is real finicky about the type of RAM it takes. Many Amigaone owner had problems with insability because of ram incompatibilities My suggestion buy the ram from your Amiga pegasos dealer might cost a few more dollars than your bargain ram from Super micro mega wharehouse. But it works.

Kurt