Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would you purchase AmigaOS if it supported ARM or x86?  (Read 10298 times)

Description:

Offline LionheartTopic starter

• Show only replies by Lionheart
Would you purchase AmigaOS if it supported ARM or x86?
« on: January 10, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many of you would be willing to purchase AmigaOS if it was available on ARM, x86, or both?

Offline cha05e90

• Show only replies by cha05e90
    • http://www.ruthe.info
Re: Would you purchase AmigaOS if it supported ARM or x86?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »
I voted only PPC - I would think about a X86/ARM release if it supports seemless integration of 68k and PowerPC emulation via a hypothetical "Petunia NG".
X1000|II/G4|440ep|2000/060|2000/040|1000

Offline SnkBitten

• Amithlon Fanatic
    • Show only replies by SnkBitten
    • http://amithlon.snkbitten.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »
I voted x86, as a huge fan of Amithlon I've seen what the x86 processor can do running AmigaOS and that was a mix of  68k emulation and native x86.  Would love to see even more native x86 implementation of AOS.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
I'd only be bothered about seamless 68k emulation. How much OS4 specific software do we have that the original developer has vanished or the code isn't open?

PPC emulation would be nice but not essential.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline kamelito

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »
AMD Ryzen with a Vega GFX board would be nice.
Kamelito

PS x86 surely not ADM64 yep.

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:51:41 PM »
For me personally it's about the Amiga experience. That special something which was the combination of hardware, OS and software. And here now in 2017 for me that is the OS.  I can't foresee another gold-rush time where hardware might again play a part in a 'new' computer though.  I sometimes wonder if there had been an x86 Amiga OS developed towards the end of the 90's whether it would have carried more weight along the lines of Linux distros since then.... wishful thinking.
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »
It's not even monday!

Offline tone007

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
I said x86, but I guess I already have that and way better performance than any actual "Amiga" machine with any cheap i5 or i7 machine I come across and throw AmiKit on.

There is absolutely no software available only for OS4 machines that makes them worth the price of entry, I believe I'd be embittered if I spent that kind of money on such a machine and found it less capable than my cellphone.  However, if I could run the newest OS (and yes, seamless 68k would be required for consideration) on the machine on my desk right now I'd definitely consider it.

Sorry for the bluntness, but I've (finally) gotten to the point where I feel computers should "just work" and nothing about NG Amiga machines (or the OS) give me the impression they can.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »
@tone007

works for me, but different folks have different needs, i guess. anyway one of these days emulation will become fast enough to where this discussion becomes moot. ;)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 09:30:35 PM »
Absolutely not, because I have ZERO interest in AmigaOS (apart from using it on my A1200, because there's no good alternative).

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »
I'd pay a bit to run it on a cheap ARM platform, I'm sure plenty of others would too, if only for the curiosity value. Obviously the higher the cost, the lower the curiosity.

I do know that I will never buy a modern PPC Amiga, so the current state of play is no sale of AmigaOS4.

People have been crying for AmigaOS on ARM for over a decade though, it falls on deaf ears.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 12:45:18 AM »
No, I have no desire to buy AmigaOS, for any platform.

If Linux did not exist, AmigaOS might be a sensible choice for x86 legacy hardware. Linux does exist.

ARM isn't quite a hardware architecutre of processor  as such, so I'm a bit puzzled where you got that idea from. If you mean porting it to the Raspberry Pi, then yes, that might change things a lot...

... oh wait, you can also get Linux for Raspberry Pi. Even real time variants, which was ideally what the Amiga experience was supposed to be, and never quite managed to do.

Trying to be a bit more positive... I think what the developers need to do is find a use for which AmigaOS a really good choice, find the hardware needed, and write for that.

If you want a suggestion - 3D printing and CAM. Robotics. That has quite a bit of native support already, from the 3D design side. it's just that nobody tried the Amiga for doing that sort of stuff. Least, not that I know about. It's certainly a growing market, so if you can get your foot in it, you should do OK.

The vast majority of 3D printers use an 8 bit Arduino Mega, and quite frankly, it sucks when it comes to precise calculation. It's good enough for current use but it's a dead end for higher res printing at high speed. Get AmigaDOS on the Pi, that should change both scenes dramatically. Even a cut down version for just embedded applications. That sort of development tool  usually costs $$$, it shoudd be a way to get a fair price for your product, if you are the only people selling Pis with an embedded controller OS and control hardware aimed at robotics. You could even make the dev tools freely available and just supply the conditioned Pis.

16 and 32 bit controllers for 3D printers typically retail for about $120 upwards. There are some ch,eaper alternatives that were built to the wrong spec, but that's the market, and it's not hard to compete with that if you build and supply a control Hat around the Pi.

Currently, there's an awful lot of people plugging 32 bit Arduinos into old 8 bit control Hats and blowing them up. The market is crying out for a dedicated, cheap, and reliable controller. Pi is the brains. Design the Hat. Program for Amiga.

Most of the controller firmware is open source C. "Marlin", to be precise. It's not bad, but on an 8 bit Arduino, it jogs just to keep track of where the print head is.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:16:41 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline pyrre

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 01:38:08 AM »
Quote from: Lionheart;819462
Just out of curiosity, how many of you would be willing to purchase AmigaOS if it was available on ARM, x86, or both?
Excuse me, but you sir.... forgot to put pancakes as an option..... shame on you. :D

I would enjoy using amiga os on any platform, just someone make it possible. But id mostly would want to see it on x86 platform. Easy and redably available components. and i have bucketloads of HW laying around. puting it to good use would be desirable.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:42:02 AM by pyrre »
Amiga 1200 Tower Os 3.9
BPPC 603e+ 040-25/200, 256MBram, BVIsionPPC, Indivision AGA MK2.
Amiga 2000 (rev 4.0) Os 1.2/1.3
2088 bridgeboard, 2MB ram card, 2091 SCSI.
Amiga 500+ Os 2.1
Derringer 030, 32MBram, Buddha in sidecar, Indivision ECS.
Amiga CD32
Video decoder

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 03:27:12 AM »
well I already have AmigaOS on my 68k and PPC miggies and Amikit/AROS serves my needs for 68k on the road so wouldn't by either ARM or x86.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 05:36:30 AM »
[youtube]FTjmtPvBsbw[/youtube]
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf