Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New version of MEMO released  (Read 6370 times)

Description:

Offline saimoTopic starter

New version of MEMO released
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »
Hi all,

I just wanted to inform you that I have released a minor update to the little game MEMO.
You can download it for free from its brand-new itch.io page: https://retream.itch.io/memo

Changelog:
 * made music stop during pause;
 * removed debugging leftover that printed a row of pixels at the top left of the pause screen;
 * fixed right side of the "DIGGERS" card (the rightmost column of pixels was black);
 * touched up playback volume of two samples in the in-game music;
 * touched up "about" screen;
 * recompiled against updated custom framework.

Enjoy!
RETREAM - retro dreams for Amiga, Commodore 64 and PC

Re: New version of MEMO released
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:41:22 AM »
Since the previous post, I have released two updates to this little game (the second one just a few minutes ago).

v3.8 (20191124)
* Fixed/improved music.
* Updated P61 code with the latest version (P6112).
* Replaced TV Sports: Football card with SkillGrid's (yep, shameless self-promotion).
* Added old-style 4 color icon.
* Fixed/improved manual.

v3.7 (20180614)
* Fixed graphical glitches when entering the player's name (the background might be restored wrongly due to a missing Blitter wait and the cursor sprite was not visible due to a .l in place of a .w).
* Printed some texts in yellow or orange instead of red, as that gives a much better result with RF/composite video out.
* Changed style of name/logo ("MeMO" instead of "MEMO") to recall the original one.
* Improved look of commas.
* Improved startup and cleanup procedures.
* Made ~20 kB smaller.

https://www.retream.com/MeMO

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 04:15:47 PM »
thanks for the update Simone :) ;D
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline Tarzin

• Show only replies by Tarzin
    • Your daily Amiga information!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:48:05 AM »
@saimo
we can't stop him!  :)
Thanks yours constant updates

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 03:18:50 AM »
In less than a couple of days I'll be talking about my games on a small local TV channel. For the occasion, I'm preparing a video and a slideshow that, during the interview, will show in the background all the games. I had never recorded a video for MeMO, so I just made this gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYSZ3rv4Jr8
I didn't play particularly well (I should have been sleeping, instead!), but still well enough to show an appopriate strategy to play the game ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 01:35:14 PM »
Lately I realized I could made the startup and cleanup code of SkillGrid more robust, so I improved it further. Then, I made similar (and more general) changes to my own custom framework (not used by SkillGrid for memory conservation reasons), which thus has now more robust startup and cleanup code, too. MeMO uses such framework, so it almost automatically benefits from the improvements (all that was needed was changing a couple of instructions and reassembling the code).
This change alone justfied a new release, so, while touching up the manual in preparation for it, I remembered that I was asked 2 joysticks support on itch.io: I seized the chance to add that as well; and, in the process, other ideas came to mind - here is the full changelog...

v3.10 (20210529)
* Recompiled against updated custom framework, which makes the startup and cleanup procedures more robust.
* Removed some leftover code that caused the program directory to remain locked.
* Added support for joystick in mouse port.
* Reworked/extended menu.
* Touched up hiscores graphics.
* Changed design of 'G' character.
* Made a few minor changes/optimizations.
* Added a new old-style 4 color icon (the previous one was accidentally deleted with the previous update).
* Improved/extended manual.

The new version is now available for download - get it for free from here.
If you give it a spin and you experience problems, please let me know so that I can try to fix them (and this might also contribute to improving the future SkillGrid update).

Looking at the previous posts, I've realized that I had forgotten to let you know about v3.9 :P

v3.9 (20200626)
* Recompiled with the P61 flag p61exec set correctly (i.e. 1; before it was set to 0, and that caused music not to play on systems with the CPU vbr register pointing to a location other than 0).
* Avoided saving of the hiscore file when no hiscore is made.
* Moved some data to the code section, thus saving some bytes thanks to the PC-relative addressing modes.
* Made a little improvement to the startup routine.
* Fixed/improved manual.

The following users thanked this post: klx300r

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 06:42:44 PM »
@ saimo

love how you support and update your games and apps Simone ! ;D
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

The following users thanked this post: saimo

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 06:18:34 PM »
@F1Lupo

My pleasure :)

@all

One more minor update.
A user reported a bug in the community section on itch.io and, after checking out the code, I realized that I had introduced a bug (probably the cause of the reported issue, which unfortunately I could not reproduce) with the previous changes. It's fixed now.
Also, I have recompiled the game against a further updated custom framework, which makes the startup and cleanup procedures more robust (these last changes did not make it to the previous update by mistake), and improved the manual slightly.

Get the new version for free from https://www.retream.com/MeMO.

v3.11 (20210601)
* Fixed bug (introduced by the previous update) that allowed both players to point the same card at the same time.
* Recompiled against further updated custom framework, which makes the startup and cleanup procedures more robust (these last changes did not make it to the previous update by mistake).
* Improved manual slightly.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:24:07 PM by saimo »

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »
Working on the icons of Follix (to be released soon), convinced me to add icons also for the floppy disk and the manual of MeMO. This triggered yet another update...

v3.13 (26.06.2021)
* Fixed a (seemingly innocuous) bug (an OR instruction in place of a MOVE instruction) in card matching code.
* Improved card matching policy by considering it a mistake also when the second card flipped had already been flipped before, even if the first card has been flipped just once and/or its twin card has not been flipped yet.
* Made a couple of tiny optimizations.
* Changed design of 'M' and 'N' letters (they were basically lowercase, which was inconsistent, as the only lowercase letter was supposed to be the 'e' in "MeMO").
* Changed alignment of logo in menu screen by 1 pixel right/down.
* Adapted to and recompiled against further improved custom framework.
* Reworked game icon.
* Added floppy disk and manual icons.
* Improved/extended manual.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 11:51:51 AM »
MeMO gets yet another update - and a rather meaty one!
Prominent changes (for more details, check out the changelog below):
 * made suitable for Amiga CD³²;
 * added numbers to cards;
 * improved graphics and audio.

As usual, you can download it for free from https://www.retream.com/MeMO

NEW GAMEPLAY VIDEO

v3.14 (01.08.2021)
* Adapted to Amiga CD³²: added saving through nonvolatile.library when writing to disk fails; allowed pausing, aborting and name entering by means of the joypad; added CD ISO image to distro packages.
* Reworked controls (see manual).
* Added controls information to pause screen.
* Added cards numbers to the back of face down cards (which helps with matching cards).
* Straightened cards corners, to match better the overall sharp look of graphics.
* Fixed bug that caused the EXTRA JOYSTICK option to be highlighted shortly after returning from the "about" screen.
* Made several optimizations.
* Adapted to and built against latest custom framework (which makes startup and cleanup more robust and has a couple of bugfixes).
* Fixed/improved/added outer antialiasing of graphics on all cards (trying to stay faithful to the original design).
* Touched up a few cards.
* Reduced and partly eliminated bass notes clicking.
* Made various other minor changes.
* Improved manual.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 02:12:52 PM »
Let there be sounds!

One more update, and this one brings sound effects back! I had removed - or better, omitted - them back in 2003, when I heavily reworked MeMO v1. These days I have rewritten the sound samples routines of my little framework precisely to re-add sound effects to MeMO: now, if you get tired of music, you have an alternative ;)
Additionally, a few other little improvements have been made.

v3.15 (14.08.2021)
* Added sound effects.
* Improved further outer antialiasing of characters on cards.
* Made a few little optimizations.
* Built against latest custom framework (which makes startup and cleanup more robust and has a bugfix).
* Changed audio mode toggle key from [M] to [A].
* Updated manual.

Note: I could not test this version on my Amiga 1200 because the monitor died. Last time I had tried it was yesterday, but this morning I made some more changes.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 01:43:47 PM »
While working on the SkillGrid update, backporting to it all the improvements I recently made to my other projects, I realized that those improvements came with a couple of new bugs. MeMO was affected by them, so here's a new bugfixed version.

v3.16 (19.08.2021)
* Built against latest custom framework (which, in the startup code, fixes a recently-introduced memory leak and replaces a piece of unreliable CIA-access-based delay code with machine-agnostic code).

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 01:57:08 PM »
Once again, working on other projects inspired improvements for the little custom framework used by MeMO.
I have just rebuilt and re-released the game. You can download it from the usual place: https://www.retream.com/MeMO
Should you experience any problem, please let me know.

v3.17 (02.05.2022)
* Built against latest custom framework (which features a more robust startup code and a few little optimizations).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 02:00:30 PM by saimo »