Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Catweasel (PCI/Flipper)  (Read 3626 times)

Description:

New Catweasel (PCI/Flipper)
« on: October 28, 2002, 12:39:25 AM »
This looks to be something nice. Support for amiga-joysticks, PCI interface, etc. Does anyone know if image-writing will be possible under Windows with this? I know there are new image-write-drivers for the ISA-version that are supposed to do this, but I couldn't find any info on this for the new card. However, a purchase is justified by the ability to connect those brilliant Wico-joysticks to the PC and WinUAE alone.  :-)

It would be nice to be able to chunk som adfs of old games back to disk and play on the real amiga though. Cinemaware, for example, have released Defender of The Crown, Wings, It Came From The Desert,  etc as free adfs on their website. Nice guys. :-)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
Re: New Catweasel (PCI/Flipper)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 12:56:02 AM »
But EUR 20,-  for a SiD?!? Ain't that a bit steep? You can practically find C64 in trashbins and salvage SiDs from that....or not?

Offline Korodny

• Show only replies by Korodny
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 12:59:59 AM »

But EUR 20,- for a SiD?!? Ain't that a bit steep? You can practically find C64 in trashbins and salvage SiDs from that....or not?

Well, sombody has to locate the C64s in the trashbins, rip them apart and desolder the SID chips... That's what you pay for, I guess.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 01:01:07 AM »

odin wrote:
But EUR 20,-  for a SiD?!? Ain't that a bit steep? You can practically find C64 in trashbins and salvage SiDs from that....or not?

Not it is NOT steep. very fair IMO from a legit company. Chances are these are NOS (new old stock) chips, not used.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 01:03:33 AM »
Well, sombody has to locate the C64s in the trashbins, rip them apart and desolder the SID chips... That's what you pay for, I guess.

That's not very likely. If you read the product disription this card uses other original C64 components also, and Individual computers have a healthy stock of them. Chances are they have a good stock of new SID chips also. Raping old trashed C64s would not go very far!

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 01:05:01 AM »
I must say this new board is too cool for words! I will be buying at least one, probably more! :-)  :-)

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2002, 01:10:02 AM »

redrumloa wrote:
I must say this new board is too cool for words! I will be buying at least one, probably more! :-)  :-)

My idea exactly =). If only I could find some money...oh well...guess I'll have to rob another bank =).

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2002, 07:24:05 AM »
If only I could find some money...oh well...guess I'll have to rob another bank =).

Hey, rob one for me too!  Thanks!  ;-)

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2002, 06:16:06 PM »
This board makes me curious.... it's got a Zorro interface on one side, and a pci on the other... I wonder if it's possible to plug it into a zorro slot, then access a pci card on the other side from the Amiga? Could be a cheap way to get a fairly good graphic card in a 2000...
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2002, 06:22:12 PM »
@JimS
I don't think it could act as busmaster (or however that is called)
on the PCI-side, so the idea is moot.

Put your hope on the ColdFire-project  ;-)
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2002, 06:41:33 PM »

JimS wrote:
This board makes me curious.... it's got a Zorro interface on one side, and a pci on the other... I wonder if it's possible to plug it into a zorro slot, then access a pci card on the other side from the Amiga? Could be a cheap way to get a fairly good graphic card in a 2000...

No way, there is no PCI controller built in it. Your best bet would probably be a second hand Picasso II or Spectrum.

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2002, 05:59:32 AM »

Kronos wrote:
@JimS

Put your hope on the ColdFire-project  ;-)

Ahh, well... just a notion. I was thinking about getting a pci bus in the 2000 after reading the Coldfire project's page. I hopre they come up with something interesting. After reading their page, I did some web searching. I did find a 680x0 to pci interface that could be done with two (big) chips. (V3's V3-292PBC and a PLD for the curious) ..  Enough to make me think it could be done by someone more adept than I.  ;-)

-jim
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2002, 10:02:58 AM »
Has anyone got this card yet? I'd like to know if someone can confirm whether it can write amiga floppies? It can read them and write for example C64-disks, but it doesn't say _exactly_ that it can write amigadisks. The old (ISA) Catweasel can (from what I understand) write amigadisks since this fall with a new driver/utility. It seems likely that this new version would do it to begin with, but I'd really like to know for sure before I get one.  :-)

Offline Effy

• Show only replies by Effy
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2002, 10:33:12 AM »
Doesn't that Flipper like the other two Catweasels read and write every format that is in their (long) list ?? You only need to connect a pc discdrive. Being an ex-C64 freak it could be hard to find old 5,25" drives ...
About that Zorro and PCI connector of the Flipper, don't forget the clockport connector for the A1200 or every card with clockport connector(s) !!!

Offline Ohno

• Show only replies by Ohno
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2002, 10:34:28 AM »
I ordered it quite some time ago already, but apart from a order-confirmation I haven't heard anything from it since (My Credit card hasn't been charged so far either).. So I guess they're still not shipping.

Regards,

Onno