Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the most well-known Amiga flight sim?  (Read 9018 times)

Description:

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Re: What is the most well-known Amiga flight sim?
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 03:52:14 PM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;535531
You just don't get games like these anymore do you? I bought an XBox360 and I expected there to be a whole load of really cool flight simulator games for it, but to date I have not found even one!

Look up Stormavic and Ace combat.  The Ace Combat stick is the way to go too...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline ikarugaTopic starter

• Show only replies by ikaruga
    • http://www.thunder-works.com
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 08:21:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, people! :)

As a flight sim buff I've bought and played many flight sims in the Amiga during the early 90s.

F18 Interceptor was very playable and had a good 'feeling', I think it's very well remembered. Had also only 5 simple missions which should be not that hard to develop... The biggest challenge will be to model the terrain of the San Francisco Bay Area.

By the way, in 1997 through 1999 I've worked in an Amiga Space Sim project as graphic artist, it had the working title "Lambda Sector" and at one point we almost got a deal with a famous (at the time) Amiga games publisher. It was looking mightly impressive, a Wing Commander clone but with full 3D graphics and effects that looked like Playstation's Colony Wars or PC's Independence War Edge of Chaos titles. I got some alpha 060/AGA versions in my Amiga but a PPC/gfx card version was also programmed. The project died when the lead programmer departed, to work in Futuremark, makers of the 3D Mark benchmark software (and now a space-themed game called Shattered Horizon). Lambda's website is still online after 10 years: http://www.illuvatar.demon.co.uk/lambda/vision/LScan.html
A1200/68060@50/32MB/AGA

Offline trekiej

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
A-10 and I believe AH-64 Apache
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 09:35:23 PM »
Quote from: ikaruga;535603
Thanks for all the replies, people! :)

As a flight sim buff I've bought and played many flight sims in the Amiga during the early 90s.

F18 Interceptor was very playable and had a good 'feeling', I think it's very well remembered. Had also only 5 simple missions which should be not that hard to develop... The biggest challenge will be to model the terrain of the San Francisco Bay Area.

By the way, in 1997 through 1999 I've worked in an Amiga Space Sim project as graphic artist, it had the working title "Lambda Sector" and at one point we almost got a deal with a famous (at the time) Amiga games publisher. It was looking mightly impressive, a Wing Commander clone but with full 3D graphics and effects that looked like Playstation's Colony Wars or PC's Independence War Edge of Chaos titles. I got some alpha 060/AGA versions in my Amiga but a PPC/gfx card version was also programmed. The project died when the lead programmer departed, to work in Futuremark, makers of the 3D Mark benchmark software (and now a space-themed game called Shattered Horizon). Lambda's website is still online after 10 years: http://www.illuvatar.demon.co.uk/lambda/vision/LScan.html

Man.  12 years back.  That was only 3 years after I sold off my Amiga but I recall seeing Lambda Sector and thinking "If they get this together it'd be worth buying an Amiga to run!"

Any chance it'd see the light of day?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 09:57:10 PM »
Man. 12 years back. That was only 3 years after I sold off my Amiga but I recall seeing Lambda Sector and thinking "If they get this together it'd be worth buying an Amiga to run!"

Any chance it'd see the light of day?

Hi B00tDisk!

I'm still actively engaged in indie game development, and so this is not impossible, if there's a demand...although space sims are rare nowadays... except for massively multiplayer ones (Eve Online, and upcoming Star Trek Online). This reminds me that I started making a couple of spaceship models for  Explorer 2260, anyone know what happened with that project?  There's a site frozen in time one decade ago here: http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetEFoE/explorer/main.html
A1200/68060@50/32MB/AGA

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »
Wings is on of the best games ever
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 10:51:10 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;535547
wings!

Yes, wings is one of the best games ever..
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline Lockon_15

• Show only replies by Lockon_15
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 11:15:13 PM »
Almost forgot...a grasp of hardcore later implemented in Falcon 3.0/4.0
F-16 Combat Pilot by Digital Integration
A500+/KS3.1/GVPA530/2MbChipRam+8MbFastRAM 2GbCF/YAMAHA CDRW

Offline kvasir

• Show only replies by kvasir
    • http://watertonian.freeiz.com/1200brag/index.html
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 11:33:13 PM »
I always liked Birds of prey, though wished it had a null/dial-modem linkup. Perhaps something like that with TCP multiplayer support? Air Warrior comes to mind, too..
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:35:15 PM by kvasir »
--
Amiga 1200T 68060 50MHZ 192MB Fast
 40GB IDE, 100MB Zip, CD/RW, DVD/Rom
 Mediator+ 4MBSVGA, Soundblaster, 100mbps Ethernet
 Subway USB+ endless list of gadgets :-D
My full specs

Offline EgillSkallagrimsson

• Show only replies by EgillSkallagrimsson
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »
Quote from: ikaruga;535612
Hi B00tDisk!

I'm still actively engaged in indie game development, and so this is not impossible, if there's a demand...although space sims are rare nowadays... except for massively multiplayer ones (Eve Online, and upcoming Star Trek Online). This reminds me that I started making a couple of spaceship models for  Explorer 2260, anyone know what happened with that project?  There's a site frozen in time one decade ago here: http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetEFoE/explorer/main.html
Those screenshots on the Lambda site look amazing. If it were to be completed I know that I'd buy it. I'm a sucker for space sims.:)
Escom A4000T (CS-PPC, Picasso IV, Deneb, DVD burner, scsi->ide->cf adapter, 36gb scsi hdd, 750zip)

Offline AmigaMance

• Show only replies by AmigaMance
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 12:50:10 AM »
Quote from: ikaruga;535524
Hi all,

As I'm studying game development in 2010, I plan to program a (free) remake of some popular Amiga flight sim. In my experience as Amiga user, I think the most popular one was F-18 Interceptor, also helped by the fact it came in the bundle with many A500s sold. Am I right? :)

And I wish a great 2010 for all!
--ika

It is not clear to me whether you intent to program a remake for the Amiga or another platform. Could you elaborate.
 As a side note, "most well-know" doesn't mean best at any case!
 The most realistic flight simulator (since flight simulation is all about... simulating the flight dynamics of a plane) that you can get on Amiga is Birds of prey amd it is my favourite. JetPilot looks technically advanced too. Air warrior is also realistic but iirc, there are no missions etc, in single player mode.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 12:54:20 AM by AmigaMance »
A1200 PPC user.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 12:54:28 AM »
@EgillSkallagrimsson

I remember Lambda too, it will be missed.

Offline matthey

• Show only replies by matthey
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 02:04:35 AM »
I still have the Lambda demo on my hard drive. What a great space engine! Amazing graphics and works on a variety of Amiga hardware. I would rather see Lambda completed than a flight sim.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 02:41:01 AM »
Oh yeah, if you can remake F-18 Interceptor with more missions than the original limited ones, then you would have a sure fire seller.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:28 AM »
I remember F/A18 as well, but I was thinking of Sublogic's flight simulator. Sort of the great granpappy of Microsoft's Flight Simulator 98, or whatever the current incarnation may be.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

« Reply #29 from previous page: January 01, 2010, 03:58:57 AM »
Quote from: AmigaMance;535633
It is not clear to me whether you intent to program a remake for the Amiga or another platform. Could you elaborate.

Portability will be possible and desired, but initially x86/Mac/iPhone using a cool free development kit called Unity3D.  It would be great if something like that existed for Amiga (a game engine with usability comparable to a good authoring software).

As a side note, "most well-know" doesn't mean best at any case!
 The most realistic flight simulator (since flight simulation is all about... simulating the flight dynamics of a plane) that you can get on Amiga is Birds of prey amd it is my favourite. JetPilot looks technically advanced too. Air warrior is also realistic but iirc, there are no missions etc, in single player mode.

That was deep, indeed Birds of Prey was good and comprehensive, 40 planes, neat campaign and missions. And Jet Pilot is extremely hardcore, with interesting airplanes from the 60's.
A1200/68060@50/32MB/AGA