Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cleaning up an Amiga 2000 circuit board  (Read 1511 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaWorkbenchTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaWorkbench
Cleaning up an Amiga 2000 circuit board
« on: February 02, 2021, 06:25:25 PM »
Hello!
I've got a Amiga 2000 with a pretty dirty circuit board and a battery leakage, probably from being kept in the closet for years. i was thinking of cleaning it up but I'm not sure about the best practice for this task. What detergents and tools I should use not create more problems. Toothbrush? Gas duster? Dish soap?

Thanks in advance!

Offline TribbleSmasher

Re: Cleaning up an Amiga 2000 circuit board
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 06:55:16 PM »
First some wirecutter to snip that damn battery off.
Then rinse with some acidic water, like vinegar. Use soft toothbrush to clean the wider area while rinsing with warm water.
If the most green salt is gone put the mainboard into the dishwasher and give it a turn for half an hour at 30° C.

Donot test after this without proper drying.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 09:50:01 PM by TribbleSmasher »

The following users thanked this post: AmigaWorkbench

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 09:35:35 PM »
First some wirecutter to snip that damn battery off.
Then rinse with some acidic water, like vinegard. Use soft toothbrush to clean the wider area while rinsing with warm water.
If the most green salt is gone put the mainboard into the dishwasher and give it a turn for half an hour at 30° C.

Donot test after this without proper drying.

Thanks!
Should I dilute the vinegar with something? Do I run the mainboard in the dishwasher without adding washing powder?

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:49:44 PM »
Well, don't put concentrated acid on it, just mildy sour vinegar to neutralise the battery affected area.
And of course use washing powder relative to the amount of filthyness of the board.😊
You could scrub it gently in the bathing tub if you like but the non-touching dish washer is the better option if you don't let the wife see it.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 09:57:17 PM »
Try and search on youtube for
"varta battery mainboard repair amiga 2000"
you will see what to look out for.

The following users thanked this post: AmigaWorkbench

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:06:39 PM »
I generally do a final rinse with de-ionised or distilled water.

I live in a hard water area, I have to do this to avoid leaving streaks of mineral salts everywhere.

You can do a final rinse with isopropyl alcohol (which tends to displace water). But it won't dissolve mineral salts if you too live in a  hard water area.

Leaving it for at least a couple days to dry out, in a warm area, is strongly recommended.

Also, before you try powering it on... do test the voltages coming out of the power supply. Capacitors can leak in there too. Also floppy drive (but a faulty floppy shouldn't damage the main computer).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=battery+amiga
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:09:01 PM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 05:51:25 AM »
Well, don't put concentrated acid on it, just mildy sour vinegar to neutralise the battery affected area.
And of course use washing powder relative to the amount of filthyness of the board.😊
You could scrub it gently in the bathing tub if you like but the non-touching dish washer is the better option if you don't let the wife see it.

Ok, so just to be absolutely sure, the vinegar is just for the area affected by the battery?

Luckily I have no bath tub  :D

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 05:53:57 AM »
I generally do a final rinse with de-ionised or distilled water.

I live in a hard water area, I have to do this to avoid leaving streaks of mineral salts everywhere.

You can do a final rinse with isopropyl alcohol (which tends to displace water). But it won't dissolve mineral salts if you too live in a  hard water area.

Leaving it for at least a couple days to dry out, in a warm area, is strongly recommended.

Also, before you try powering it on... do test the voltages coming out of the power supply. Capacitors can leak in there too. Also floppy drive (but a faulty floppy shouldn't damage the main computer).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=battery+amiga

I live in a soft water area so that might not be an issue.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 03:54:04 PM »
Ok, so just to be absolutely sure, the vinegar is just for the area affected by the battery?
Yes. Look at the pictures in this blog
https://pointyboots.wordpress.com/2016/10/15/amiga-a2000-battery-damage-repair/
pretty much the whole area visible can show green salts, take a good look around, even at the keyboard socket and around the cpu.