Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I am making a movie. Looking for all video game experts.  (Read 4724 times)

Description:

Offline BoingBossTopic starter

• Show only replies by BoingBoss
    • http://home.comcast.net/~doom2fan/
I am making a movie. Looking for all video game experts.
« on: July 30, 2004, 11:37:32 PM »
Hello to all my fellow Amiga fans,

I am in the process of making a movie about the History of Video Games.  It will be sold on DVD and VHS media.  I am looking for video game experts, like myself, to help with this project.  Here is what you do:

Hook up a VCR to your Amiga, Atari ST, PC, Nintendo 64, Sony Playstation, Super Nintendo, etc. and record yourself playing your favorite video games.  The recording MUST be in SP Mode.  I will also accept DVD recordings.  Next, carefully package your recorded game and mail it to me.  Include your REAL name so I may include it in the Movie credits.  Pmail me for shipping address and any questions.  Those of you that help me with this project will receive a FREE copy of the movie on DVD or VHS (your choice).

I am also looking for a sexy female voice to do some of the narrations in the movie.  I myself will be hosting the movie.

The game recordings that I am particularly interested in are the following:  Pong (the original Atari version), Ultima III (C64 version), Ultima VI (SNES version), Doom and Doom II (PC version), Vampire: The Masquerade Redemption (PC version), Gods (Amiga & SNES versions), SideWinder (Amiga version), Barbarian II (Atari ST Platform version), Shadow Warrior and Blood (PC versions), Phantasie III (Atari ST version), Shanghai II (Rare SNES version), Ultima II (Atari ST Mono version), Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (PC version), GoldenEye and Doom 64 (N64 versions).

Even though I am looking for the above game recordings, I will accept ALL video game recordings.  Make sure that you practice playing the game first before recording it, this way you will be recording your best.  Remember, that millions of people will be seeing this movie.  It will be sold, starting in New York City, as a commercial product and hopefully will be sold in all video stores around the world.  So do your best.  And thanks for the help in advance.    :-D
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
Re: I am making a movie. Looking for all video game experts.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 02:36:03 AM »
I wouldnt mind helping out in the project really, but who knows what games I can play really. Sounds kinda interesting, but then id have to find a VCR and a good tape to start recording. I was wondering, how long do you want each tape to be? Like 10mins, 20mins or what?

I was thinking of recording me and my bros playing Capcom VS SNK for the Dreamcast, or even Marvel VS Capcom 2.  They are of the fighting genre, but let me know what you want...
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 03:24:13 AM »
Hi kd7ota,

Record whatever game you like and up to 2 hours.  I will only use the best 30 seconds to 2 minutes of each VHS tape or DVD and only if your game is selected to be one of the games in the movie.   :-D
My favorite TV shows:  Star Trek Voyager, Forever Knight, Stargate SG1, Married with Children, As Time Goes By, Mr. Bean, Smallville, The Six Million Dollar Man, and Xena

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 03:25:51 AM »
It will be sold as a commercial product

How much will you pay for the videos?

Since you're going to sell it for profit I'd assume you're ready to compensate cost of tape/dvd material and work.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 06:43:59 AM »
@BoingBoss

Will you be getting copyright permission for all the games, too?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline kd7ota

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 07:07:11 AM »
Hmmm,

You would have to be getting copyrights to display them games.......... :-?

I just thought if they were displaying their games, let them go ahead, because that would just be free advertising for them or something.  :-D

So does anyone know if displaying games would get you into trouble?
-=-=-=-=-=-

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 08:38:02 AM »

kd7ota wrote:

So does anyone know if displaying games would get you into trouble?

Yes, he would need permission from the games' copyright holders to use footage of their work, just like as if he was selling a DVD full of clips of movies.

Offline weirdami

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 08:38:30 AM »
@kd7ota

I thought that radio stations could just play whatever music they wanted because the record labels would want the free advertising, but it turns out that radio stations pay a fee for every song they play. Something to do with radio stations making money off playing songs that aren't their property. Makes sense. Even jukeboxes have a license fee attached to every song. Even bars can't just put in a jukebox and play whatever music, they have to pay someone for permission.
----

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 04:39:44 PM »
Hi weirdami,

Will you be getting copyright permission for all the games, too?

I already have.   :-D

Some of the companies are out of business.   :boohoo:

Guys, stop the BS and let's get going with this, shall we ?    :roll:

Offline kd7ota

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 05:17:54 PM »
@weirdami

Ahhh, but even if you have to go out and get permissions, how hard and how long does it take to get permission?
-=-=-=-=-=-

Offline robot

• Show only replies by robot
    • http://www.musichopper.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 05:24:42 PM »
Tell you what.    I can provide music for this movie in any genre youd like. (im a pro musician)  and also can provide some video games from the amiga that noone has ever seen...(my own games i made over a few years time)  boy do I have some stories about amiga.   I used to spend all day and night coding games.   I let my friend read my code and add some to it while i slept for an hour.. and then we would swap and i would code while he slept.  we never stopped for days at a time.   and have some very kick ass games to show for it.  But since amiga went under I lost the motivation and moved on to music full time.  I will have to gather all of my old disks from the amiga... I have boxes and boxes full of them and removable drives... so much crap its sick.   a 500 and a 2000   the 500 has a modded wooden alteration to it for more ram or somthing.. its funny.   also.. I made a 3d graphics engine in amos. lol   keep in mind it was a what...65 mhz computer. hahaha  I got it working tho.  had to make all my own math and stuff.. none of this include {bleep}.    I did the music and the artwork...  There is one game i was developing for well over 6 years.   During that time the entire thing was acidentally deleted and i had to start over.   wow i wanted to murder who did it!  But i got back to it and have it 80% finished.  Im afraid to give out too much about the game itself since it still hasnt been done and I was the first to make it. copyright etc.   but i will get it all together asap.  let me know what else you need vai email... for a demo of my music  click this.   www.musichopper.com/ROBOT/MAGNETS.mp3
I used to program games for Amiga computers using AMOS pro and AREXX. amal etc..   I was about to get an article in amiga world mag for one of my games at the age of 13 or 14 when commodore went under.  Since then I put full effort into music.

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 06:26:49 PM »
Some of the companies are out of business.

And? That doesn't change anything regarding copyright.

Offline elendil

• Show only replies by elendil
    • http://www.idiot.fnuck.dk
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2004, 07:35:44 PM »

Piru wrote:
Some of the companies are out of business.

And? That doesn't change anything regarding copyright.

What I'm wondering is how he's managed to get approval from all amiga game companies in the world, since he said he'd accept videos of any games, and later that he already had the required permissions.

Sincerely,

-Kenneth Straarup.

Offline weirdami

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 02:41:43 AM »
@BoingBoss
Guys, stop the BS and let's get going with this, shall we ?  

I wouldn't consider a legal discussion to be "BS". How about you go away and get your own video games and play them yourself? Sheesh.

@all

This sounds fishy. I wouldn't get involved at all.
----

Offline kd7ota

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2004, 03:09:56 AM »
@weirdami

yea, i thought it sounded alittle bit off, and for him knowing what our name was for credits, I would hate for a game company to deal with me for recording the footage of my gameplay, and have him blaim me for the recording. I think if it ever is out in stores, then I will buy a copy and have Doomy sign it.  :lol:
-=-=-=-=-=-