Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Learning from DOOM  (Read 6282 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
Re: Learning from DOOM
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 02, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
Doom was good when I finally got to play it, but I do think the Amiga clones it spawned where just as good, I loved blowing away the Aliens in Alien Breed 3d and Gloom when you turned the messy version on to see all the body parts bounce around the room and leave it in a mess. Great Fun! So I dont think I missed out too much on not playing Doom until it arrived to the Amiga.

To be honest the first real FPS that left me with a lasting impressive on how good these type of games could be was Half Life.

Offline Linde

• Show only replies by Linde
    • http://hata.zor.org/
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 12:59:45 PM »
Most artefacts that are shown in the article are the result of using some unofficial high-resolution texture pack and the jDoom engine. It could have been more interesting if the author had paid some more attention to the technical details.

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »
He pointed this out at the end of the article.

Flaws in the article that only us die hards would notice. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 12:02:21 AM »
Quote from: Franko;652655
Cos I put them there for a thread here (which you took part in) last year just to show them running on an A1200 with an 060 board... ;)

I still don't like these type of games as they really all play the same and look the same to me (especially all the modern ones on PC's & consoles), ie: run around shooting and blowing up everything in sight with the odd chance (if your lucky) of finding a hidden location... pretty boring really.. :)

You have never played through any of the Lovecraftian first person titles, nor the Chronicles of Riddick series, or Breakdown for Xbox Classic, to name a few. Though I agree, most First Person titles are merely run and gun.

Though Half-Life 2 conforms to the basic FPS formula, it really makes it shine. Better than watching a movie infect, MUCH better.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 01:01:52 AM »
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners Of The Earth is an awesome game, keeps pretty true to the mythos. I am a huge Lovecraft fan with a lot of rare Call of Cthulhu RPG books, I make and sell horror props too, like these ones:
Falling into a dark and red rage.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 02:08:27 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;652903
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners Of The Earth is an awesome game, keeps pretty true to the mythos. I am a huge Lovecraft fan with a lot of rare Call of Cthulhu RPG books, I make and sell horror props too, like these ones:

Dark Corners is a fantastic example! There are more listed here elsewhere on another thread. Penumbra and other games made by the same company, etc. Not for the squeamish or for those lacking attention span that's for sure.

I love those things in the jars that you made, very cool!!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:03:22 AM by XDelusion »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;652903

What are those props in the photo?

@everyone. Am i the only one who didn't like multiplayer and instead preferring single player mode? Single player mode just suits my style of gaming. I really like to sneak around corners and sneak up on monsters. I play like a ninja :) whereas multiplayer everyone just runs around crazy in a more 'shoot n run' style of play. run and gun just isn't my style :(
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:18 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;652917
@everyone. Am i the only one who didn't like multiplayer and instead preferring single player mode? Single player mode just suits my style of gaming. I really like to sneak around corners and sneak up on monsters. I play like a ninja :) whereas multiplayer everyone just runs around crazy in a more 'shoot n run' style of play. run and gun just isn't my style :(
I enjoy a good deathmatch or CTF every now and again, but multiplayer is nothing I'd buy a game for - not when Q3 is open-source and OpenArena provides a free content pack to run with it. That's one other (comparatively minor) complaint I have with modern shooters, they seem to be deciding that since a lot of people buy them primarily for the multiplayer, it's okay to have a single-player mode that's largely an afterthought or straight-up gives the finger to single players >:/
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 03:05:49 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;652475
I once played it so much that I could still see it when I closed my eyes to go to sleep....woops.

i hear ya! I was in my last year of University when Doom came out and my buds & I used to play against each other via the computer lab network..one night we played so long that the janitor locked us in the lab by mistake so we just kept playing till 7 am until he opened the doors again...man I can still see the look of shock on that poor mans face when he saw the five of us blood shot eyed zombies staring at him while he was opening up the doors:roflmao:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 03:22:31 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;652917
What are those props in the photo?

I like games that are designed in a way that running and gunning will only get you killed...

Snow-blind was a good example of this. On the other hand, a liitle run and gun can be fun in moderation, which is why we have Doom and Quake. They didn't need to make anymore clones beyond those two as the were perfect at what they did, and didn't stop there as they also featured puzzles and other elements.

As for on-line death matching and the like...

I grew bored of them back in the Quake II era. Give me single player or co-op any day!!!

Offline Cammy

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 06:28:06 AM »
Although this doesn't have that much to do with the link this topic is referring to, this is something we really could learn from:

DOOM ATTACK SOURCE CODE!!!

http://www.filedropper.com/dasource

(Thanks to Mick for getting ahold of this and releasing it)

After years of thinking it was lost forever, here it is in all its glory, the most highly optimised Amiga source port of Doom in the raw!
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 09:32:14 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;652920
I enjoy a good deathmatch or CTF every now and again, but multiplayer is nothing I'd buy a game for - not when Q3 is open-source and OpenArena provides a free content pack to run with it. That's one other (comparatively minor) complaint I have with modern shooters, they seem to be deciding that since a lot of people buy them primarily for the multiplayer, it's okay to have a single-player mode that's largely an afterthought or straight-up gives the finger to single players >:/

Quote from: XDelusion;652926
I like games that are designed in a way that running and gunning will only get you killed...

Snow-blind was a good example of this. On the other hand, a liitle run and gun can be fun in moderation, which is why we have Doom and Quake. They didn't need to make anymore clones beyond those two as the were perfect at what they did, and didn't stop there as they also featured puzzles and other elements.

As for on-line death matching and the like...

I grew bored of them back in the Quake II era. Give me single player or co-op any day!!!

Not that i am against online gaming i just have a problem with Doom and Quake.

I play Call of Duty multiplayer almost everyday. I'm addicted! I like the way COD works in that you can customise your setup depending on your playing style. These are called 'Perks'. I set my up so i make no noise when moving about, silencers on my guns and camouflage to hide from radar. I'm a Ninja! :) Doom just doesn't let you do this  :( I think single player Doom is all about strategy and if you play gun n run style you will not get far. I'm definitely a strategy player.  

I also like the single player mode too. It has a story on COD and i simply love it. But i would definitely buy a game just for the online Deathmatch :)

My idea of multiplayer heaven is this: Free for all mode, ninja setup and gun n running in complete stealth. Nothing beats seeing someone then chasing them until they stop to look around a corner then stabbing them in the back! :lol:

I hate campers though :(
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 09:26:49 AM »
Oh ya, that stuff can be fun, though I still hate the idea of playing Capture the Flag and King of the Hill over and over again. I guess it's why I'm not huge on sports games, then again...

I am a Worms fanatic. Hmmm....

Maybe it's the lack of worms in modern on-line FPS's?

Dunno.

Anyhow, here's another interesting DOOM related item:

http://doom.chaosforge.org/articles/27/doomrl-0993-released

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011, 01:16:07 PM »
And another piece of DOOM source related news.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTc1MQ.

Maybe not our favorite DOOM, but it's certainly got a lot of great MODs, plus it would just be nice to have it on MorphOS, Amiga, and AROS. ;)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;653344
Oh ya, that stuff can be fun, though I still hate the idea of playing Capture the Flag and King of the Hill over and over again. I guess it's why I'm not huge on sports games, then again...
CTF gets a lot more fun when you've got a good selection of weapons to go with it ;)
Anyhow, here's another interesting DOOM related item:

http://doom.chaosforge.org/articles/27/doomrl-0993-released
Oh hell yes. DoomRL is quite addictive (even Franko might like it, you have to think and use strategy!) Maybe it's not as in-depth as other roguelikes, but it's still tons of fun.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline SkidMajor

• Show only replies by SkidMajor
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2011, 01:27:29 PM »
No, the worst game ever is Doom when it fails to load on my 1200 :)
SKIDROW PRESENTS....

A1200/8G HDD/8MEG RAM/MINT
A500/4MEG RAM/GONE YELLOW
MORE ORIGINAL BOXED GAMES THAN JAY MINER COULD HAVE THROWN TO HIS DOG

@SkidsRetroGames
@twitter - Follow me!
------------------------------------
F1 - UNLIMITED LIVES
F2 - EXTRA CHUNKS PLEASE!
F3 - PEACE ON EARTH
F4 - NOT THAT MUCH PEACE ON EARTH
F5 - MOUSE
F6 - JOYSTICK

A SHOUT OUT TO VEGNAcore RIP... FOR NOW..