Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New RiscOS computer launched  (Read 8453 times)

Description:

Re: New RiscOS computer launched
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 01, 2002, 03:00:01 PM »
"Are you talking about the new Risc machine or the new Amiga ?"

Neither,  he is talking about RiscOS which is the operating
system not the machine and that's just reporting of second hand opinions anyway.

Offline Phoenix

• Show only replies by Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2002, 01:09:25 PM »

odin wrote:
Zool included?! I want that machine! :-).

Hohum....Geforce2 MX400?? I thought NVidia gave zero support for non-wintel platforms?  

Nvidia support linux.

Happy Monday to everybody!!
Rising from the ashes
Base the hardware on the future and use the convictions of the past..

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2003, 10:50:49 PM »
No-one is satisfied with the apps on it??? You've obviously NEVER used a RISCOS machine.

First of all. Most if not all current apps work perfectly on this machine. It is just old apps which some of us still use that "might" not work without a patch. If there's NO patch available (if the originator is no more) then there's aditional software which lets you run these old applications (emulation and/or JIT compiling). Anyway just like with a peecee it's clear that new machines are meant for newer apps. That's why these guys make nerwer models, isn't it? It also means that it might be good to inform yourself more thorough berfore making these assumptions.

As for it's multithreading or virtual memory. Again it's clear that you never used a RISCOS machine nor have any knowledge of former OS versions. You definitly have to keep in mind that RISCOS users are VERY spoiled as far as system-behaviour, multitasking and resource hog are concerned and many comments made by these users should be read with a pinch of salt (a complete pack is more like it ;-)  ). Virtual memory is a NO on this platform (especially with 512MB system ram). The OS is NOT designed with virtual memory in mind since this would severly defeat the crisp and responsive use that RISCOS has been known for. There IS virtual memory build into apps who require it (photoretouching programs comes to mind) or system-wide by third party apps. Needless to say that as usuall some guys complain since they obviously want the OS-distributor to supply virtual memory instead of leaving this to a 3rd party. I personaly couldn't care less. The apps that I use who require it have it; usually far better implemented and written especially for that particular app.

As for a "Real" alternative to Windows. This IS a real alternative. It has no bounds with Microsoft or other US-software dominators. All major apps are created and developped in Europe (mostly Brittain and Germany). The hardware is completely designed from the ground up in EU. However many parts do come from asian or us-originated companies due to their dominant position in that particular marketsegment. This is also due for potential new Amiga hardware.

There is NO Office, word, MSIE etc. for this OS. However they do have wordprocessing/DTP, photoretouching, spreadsheet, database and all "standard" end-user apps you would want. Including internet software and multimedia tools. In fact EXCACTLY like Amiga.  Some properiarity apps are missing but this is usually because the relavant file- or media format is not publicly available, carry a to expensive license fee to justify porting to RISCOS and/or the company behind it is unwilling to support anything other than M$. Again excactly the same as with Amiga. At least with the kind of Amiga's that I grew up with. as I'm unfamiliar with AmigaOne.

There is however one area seriously lacking with plenty of apps. And yeps.. you guessed it. The entertainment business (Games). There are games but not much or they're too old or too ugly to get any attention. But since this segment is silently shifting towards game-consoles anyway this becomes less of a burden to actually obtain alternative hardware/OS -combinations.

Anyway. If you really are interested in knowing more about these kind of machines then the only thing I can wholehaertly recommend is try to find some users who are willing to let you play with it for awhile. As this is the best way to get the hang of it. I'm sure you would "think different" when you actually used one. The same happened to me when I was a die-hard Amigoid (many years ago).

Regards,

Manu T

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2003, 11:06:47 PM »

Hohum....Geforce2 MX400?? I thought NVidia gave zero support for non-wintel platforms?

Technically speaking that's not true. NVIDIA Supply GeForce 4 MX and GF4 Ti cards to Apple for PowerMac G4s, as well as GeForce 2MX chips for the eMac and iMac. They also actively develop Apple's Mac OS X drivers for NVIDIA cards.

Still I can't see them supporting this small time platform. RISCOS died when Acorn went to the dogs.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2003, 11:09:36 PM »
thats crazy...its even got DDR support.

price isnt 'that' bad either... like $1500 USD....

board/cpu (of course)
DDR 128MB
Case
PSU
48X CDRW
sound card
OS
80GIG HDD

RiscOS has some modern apps to... Its browser is fairly modern and it supports Java.... I think its cool all around that new platforms are starting to show up.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2003, 12:06:50 AM »
There were a couple of real Acorn devotees at the place I used to work.  I had an Archimedes for a while myself - real nice machine, although it never had the impact on my life that the Amiga did.

What most surprises me about the RiscOS platform is how long it's lasted.  They even have their own glossy printed magazine here in the UK, which is something the Amiga hasn't had for over a year now.

What's most surprising about it is that Acorn only sold some 300,000 machines worldwide - a tiny fraction of the number of Amigas sold.  Yet they have several "next-gen" machines to choose from whereas Amiga has none (but two in the works).  

How did this happen?  Heck, even the Atari ST has at least half a dozen "compatible" solutions to choose from (running up to dual 80Mhz '060s, with PPC on the way)

But Amiga.. BoXer, MMC, Walker, AmiJoe, P5 G3/G4 cards... the list goes on.  Not one ever hit the market, whereas competing "alternative" solutions with really much smaller possible market-share did.  I just don't get it.

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2003, 12:08:27 AM »
I think the answer is that the community cooperates...their community does anyway... they dont quibble...that and their CPU didnt die.

RiscOS also has devotees that use the product.... I know a bunch of UK dewd's that use it regulerly...

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2003, 12:26:01 AM »

The_Editor wrote:
Didnt Intel buy ARM ?

Nope, Intel bought Digital, which had an ARM license and who had designed and made the original StrongARM.

This computer is quite nice in many ways, less power than a 600MHz G3, but it has 64-bit PCI and DDR memory support. No AGP support though, then again a 64-bit 66MHz PCI graphics card is the same speed as AGP2x when that bus is not shared.

Offline ple3003

• Show only replies by ple3003
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2003, 12:26:37 AM »
this xscale CPU, it's manufactured by intel right  ;-)
I'm still open to new solutions, but do anyone know how they measure compared to say a g3@600?
Interesting, but i think i'll stick to pegasos/amigaOne...
Like the feel of AOS.
bap bap bap bapbaaa

Offline ple3003

• Show only replies by ple3003
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2003, 12:28:17 AM »
this xscale CPU, it's manufactured by intel right  ;-)
I'm still open to new solutions, but do anyone know how they measure compared to say a g3@600?
Interesting, but i think i'll stick to pegasos/amigaOne...
Like the feel of AOS.
bap bap bap bapbaaa

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2003, 12:29:00 AM »
honestly...as much as I like RiscOS... it feels like Windows NT 4.0 to me... It always has... maybe its changed...but the GUI is ugly and it feels like windows...so why not use the real thing?.. I dunno... AOS is alot nicer IMHO

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2003, 02:23:24 AM »
It might have been more impressive if they had created a case that was unique.  An all in one motherboard?  Looks like a PC.
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2003, 02:26:34 AM »
well by that same token A1 looks like a PC then..

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2003, 05:19:16 AM »
You know what this means?

That maybe, just maybe, the 300k Acorn fans know what they want while the 3mil+ Amiga fans don't?
Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.