Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Intel Mac comes very poor second to PPC  (Read 8921 times)

Description:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Intel Mac comes very poor second to PPC
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 08:41:43 AM »

The_Editor wrote:

Stick to your guns !!

buy the house and she will expect you to decorate it ....

And so on and so forth..  Never ending expense !!

:lol: Why doesn't she understand the value of a MacBook Pro?

I love the ironic title of this thread :-D

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 09:19:34 AM »

Karlos wrote:

Somebody in apple's marketing department needs brutally murdering and their tattered remains stringing up along the main corridor along with a sign, forged from the entrails, reading: "Use the fricking 'i' prefix one more time, you motherf***ers, I dare you! I double dare you!"

You mean they should be hanged by that guy's iNtestines? That's iNhumane!
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 10:55:36 AM »
@Seehund

Seriously, am I the only person that totally cringes whenever they lowercase "i" prefix something?
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 11:01:12 AM »
i...  I mean aye :-)

Personally i find iT an iNnovation... iT makes perfect sense... like the "qu" rule.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 09:18:05 PM »
It seems apple have used a cheap DC-DC board in the new MacBook Pro causing the typical "cheap laptop" whine that some of us are all too familiar with, when the laptop is under no (or low power) load!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=374397&tstart=0

Very embarrassing, I hope the Rev B machines fix this issue.

Click here if you haven't heard a DC-DC whine before!

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2006, 12:55:24 PM »
check it out the mac minis can be found with dual core now way cool and even 2gig mem i think i want a new one
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2006, 02:02:49 PM »

adonay wrote:
check it out the mac minis can be found with dual core now way cool and even 2gig mem i think i want a new one

Be warned though, that the new mini's do use the integraded iNtel graphics rather than the old ATI gfx chip... I personally think the iMac is a better deal.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2006, 04:02:16 PM »
OMG I read this thread and can't believe what I am reading.. I have sat with a Mac G5 and an Intel Mac G5 side-by-side at CompUSA here in Michigan in the USA.. The things you guys are complaining about with the Intel CoreDuo is all in your MINDS (can we say anti-intel bias still get OVER IT!). It almost smacks of being computer processor religious.

Sure things that run in emulation are runnning in emulation and are SLOWER (it's emulation DUH!), but things that aren't are about 2-3x faster. I could notice things like load times, processing a wave audio file and editing it. I could also notice serious speed in one of the native rendered demos.

The thing of it is, the Apple machines are middle of the road PCs they aren't the fastest and best. So far Apple has released machines that are in the middle of the curve for performance and that people can actually afford to buy, so yeah they could be faster, but they are just fine. It's arrogent to assume that these machine would be a "top of the heap" PC..

I have used Intel Darwin before and it's DAMN fast, so the things that you are making these silly judgements on don't really apply. Plus I don't see many apps that are native that are optimized for more than 1 cpu yet either..

-Don

PS to quote a famous guy's saying "There are lies, Damn Lies, and Benchmarks"

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
Don't worry Donny, the facts are laid bare in this thread and it is clear that the Core Duo is vastly superior to the G4 and quite a bit better than the G5.

I rather like the "ironic" title to the thread, it appeals to my sense of humour :-D

Offline JLF65

• Show only replies by JLF65
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2006, 02:21:38 AM »
Well, the CoreDuo is a brand new dual-core CPU with four times the level 2 cache and a higher clock rate on an efficient core (comparable ISP to AMD64). It BETTER be faster! If it can't beat a four year-old single-core processor with one fourth the level 2 cache and a lower clock rate, it'd be mighty sad indeed.  :lol:

You'd have to compare the CoreDuo with a 970MP based system to do a fair comparison... not that Apple is likely to release anymore 970MP systems. Suffice it to say that the new CoreDuo systems are better, but you expect newer systems to be better. It's the way the computer industry works (unlike many other industries). Always giving you more for less money.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2006, 03:29:05 AM »
WOW!

It's a dual core and it's dual the speed!

Intel, you have excelled yet again!

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2006, 04:35:16 AM »
Beller:   I did an in-store comparison of the iMac G4 and the iMac intel. The iNtel (new official Apple spelling) Mac was much faster running the native iPhoto and had the same photo libraries. There really was no comparison...it smoked the PPC with similar specs.

People need to keep in mind that the CPU alone isn't the only issue.  Like them or not, Intel still makes the finest chipsets in the world, and that is often the bottleneck in a PC.  Even notice how slow a budget 3GHZ PC feels?  Yeah, the CPU is fine, but those VIA/Ali chipsets suck.  Intel chips don't siphon everything off the PCI bus.

Amigans should've kept this in mind before bounding towards PPC and keeping their hopes up for Cell.  A rotten chipset brings the most powerful CPU to a screeching halt, and ArticaS was hardly decent even by PPC standards.  PPC isn't likely to get any good chipsets anymore, and Cell almost certainly will not.

I'm glad Apple went to x86, but I'm really disappointed that they're still using native code when they could've done what Amiga Inc wanted to do:  VP code.  Not a lot of stuff really needs native code these days, especially when it comes to GUI code, which means almost everything on a Mac.  Then again, Mac Java is the biggest pile of filth I've ever been forced to use.  It is SOOOOOOOOO damn slow.  Maybe using VP code isn't what Apple should be doing, after all.

I'm also glad Intel has put serious effort into making their CPUs cooler -- it's about damn time!  Of course, I still prefer AMD.  I'd love to see Athlon64/nForce4 in an Amiga.  I'd buy it instantly.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2006, 05:38:05 AM »
Intel make the finest chipsets in the world?

A friend of mine has a Pentium 3 with onboard Intel graphics and it's a 600MHz machine with 2MB of ChipMem if you look at it in Amiga terms.

Yes, that's right - a 2MB Intel graphics chipset. It can barely do 800x600 without flickering.

Personally I was delighted when Apple announced the Dual-G5 was the World's most powerful computer. It meant for a brief time that Intel's strangle-hold on the market was loosing grip and that diversity could spring forth.

Innovative things like the Transmeta Crusoe couldn't compete, it was Intel this, AMD that.

For God's sake people. Buy something interesting. It's like everyone in the world buying a Mercedes when we could be driving minis, Smart cars, scooters, Quads and stuff.

We have to double our CPU power every 18 months! So what if we wanted to triple it... would Intel break their own Daddy's "Law"?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2006, 07:44:16 AM »

JLF65 wrote:

You'd have to compare the CoreDuo with a 970MP based system to do a fair comparison... not that Apple is likely to release anymore 970MP systems. Suffice it to say that the new CoreDuo systems are better, but you expect newer systems to be better. It's the way the computer industry works (unlike many other industries). Always giving you more for less money.

If you were to compare the Core Duo to the 970MP, then the Core Duo would be vastly superior... the reason being that the 970MP dumps out something like 70Watts of heat, the Duo is rated at 32Watts (under full load). I'm not just interested in performance, performance per watt is very important to me. :-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2006, 07:53:11 AM »

Waccoon wrote:
Beller:   I did an in-store comparison of the iMac G4 and the iMac intel. The iNtel (new official Apple spelling) Mac was much faster running the native iPhoto and had the same photo libraries. There really was no comparison...it smoked the PPC with similar specs.

People need to keep in mind that the CPU alone isn't the only issue.  Like them or not, Intel still makes the finest chipsets in the world, and that is often the bottleneck in a PC.  Even notice how slow a budget 3GHZ PC feels?  Yeah, the CPU is fine, but those VIA/Ali chipsets suck.  Intel chips don't siphon everything off the PCI bus.

I'd pesonally prefer an nForce4 chipset :-)

I'm glad Apple went to x86, but I'm really disappointed that they're still using native code when they could've done what Amiga Inc wanted to do:  VP code.  Not a lot of stuff really needs native code these days, especially when it comes to GUI code, which means almost everything on a Mac.  Then again, Mac Java is the biggest pile of filth I've ever been forced to use.  It is SOOOOOOOOO damn slow.  Maybe using VP code isn't what Apple should be doing, after all.

I really don't think VP code is a good idea... Also Java is MUCH faster on the Core Duo than on the PPC, there have been quite a few threads about it on the Mac forums.

I'm also glad Intel has put serious effort into making their CPUs cooler -- it's about damn time!  Of course, I still prefer AMD.  I'd love to see Athlon64/nForce4 in an Amiga.  I'd buy it instantly.

Uh, me too :-D

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 06, 2006, 08:05:32 AM »

Hyperspeed wrote:
Intel make the finest chipsets in the world?

A friend of mine has a Pentium 3 with onboard Intel graphics and it's a 600MHz machine with 2MB of ChipMem if you look at it in Amiga terms.

That machine is 7 years old... And what do you mean by 2MB of chip ram?

Yes, that's right - a 2MB Intel graphics chipset. It can barely do 800x600 without flickering.

Even 7 yars ago you would have used a nVidia TNT2 gfx card, not an integrated gfx chip :roll:

Personally I was delighted when Apple announced the Dual-G5 was the World's most powerful computer. It meant for a brief time that Intel's strangle-hold on the market was loosing grip and that diversity could spring forth.

Apple had no choice...IBM weren't serious about pushing the 970 against the Athlon and P4.

Innovative things like the Transmeta Crusoe couldn't compete, it was Intel this, AMD that.

The Crusoe wasn't that innovative, it basicly pushed the CPU's microcode into main ram, which would have been great if you could afford to use SRAM... at full CPU speed.

For God's sake people. Buy something interesting. It's like everyone in the world buying a Mercedes when we could be driving minis, Smart cars, scooters, Quads and stuff.

eh?

We have to double our CPU power every 18 months! So what if we wanted to triple it... would Intel break their own Daddy's "Law"?

It's not a law it was an observation of the semiconductor industry in the 70's which has held true as a general trend ever since (but it's basicly slowing).