Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port  (Read 31470 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: AmiWolf AGA - new Wolfenstein 3D Port
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
Awesome!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline paul1981

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;739952
Semi-related question: I downloaded the ECS version of Wolf3D a few weeks ago ( http://aminet.net/package/game/shoot/ecswolf3d ) but couldn't get it to run and of course in typical Amiga-fashion there was no instructions.  ;)  Starting up it asked for some specific type of file which I had to Google (sorry, not in front of my Amiga at the moment), turns out I needed the executable and data files from PC version of Wolfenstein, I believe?  Downloaded such off of some shady site online but it still wouldn't run after I dumped them into the game directory, did nothing, no errors, however if I tried to do something else afterward I'd get a visit from the guru.  ;)

So question is, where do I download the Wolfenstein source files for use on an Amiga?  Is this game old enough yet that they've dropped into the public domain, or do I have to rip an executable off an old PC somewhere?

Thanks!!

Haven't tried this myself, but found this online: http://dosgamer.com/wolfenstein-3d/download.html

Hmmm, might have to run the install.bat first on a real pc! Then copy the installed files over to Amiga, then replace the wolf3d executable with the Amiga one. I keep meaning to try this ECS version, I've tried out the AGA conversion of a few years back (the one with no sound) but haven't had any further dealings with Wolfenstein since unfortunately. Now there's the new AGA one with sound, and Nova's porting one as well so I'll have to get back into it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:03:43 PM by paul1981 »

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 05:50:42 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;739951
This would be totally sweet, but there's one tricky bit - Wolfenstein uses iD's IMF format, which is not MIDI-based (unlike DOOM's MUS format) and OPL-specific. However, there is an IMF-to-MIDI converter, with source, so if you could work that into the code (and add customizable instrument maps) you could just shoot the resulting data out over the serial port to an MT-32 or something.

I don't need to do that because this is based on http://wolf3dredux.sourceforge.net/ which includes a IMF to MIDI converter utility, these MIDI files will then need to be converted to MUS and Bob is your uncle, either that or just go from IMF to WAV (using Redux).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 05:57:44 AM »
Ah, snazzy! If you are going to do that, could I pester you to include an option to send the music to a serial-port MIDI dongle (ideally w/custom program# remapping?) It'd be pretty sweet to be able to play Wolf3D with MT-32 music on my A1200...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
The original DOS Wolf3D has no option for MT32 or other MIDI sound.
There is only choice between PC Beeper, Adlib, SoundBlaster and another old thingie i can't remember.

Someone would have to write a MT32 music.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »
Quote from: Xanxi;740236
There is only choice between PC Beeper, Adlib, SoundBlaster and another old thingie i can't remember.

Well, if the music's being converted to MIDI anyway, it's just a matter of coming up with a suitable patch map. (Custom patches would be cool too, but even the presets should be usable.)
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:27 PM »
thanks for another game for our classics Nova:drink:

hoping my 030@50 will be able to play it decently
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 12:56:20 PM »
Decided to spend a bit more time with this port recently, at this rate I may actually finish it ;)

Project status:

Graphics: 99%
Input: 80% (keyboard seems ok now, got to code up the mouse)
Menus:  60% (want to add customized controls)
Sound FX: 70% (missing some samples, also got to tidy it up a bit)
Music: 0% (I think this will be possible using MUS files)
Loading/Saving: 0% (haven't even looked)

[youtube]6C06IL5rJXU[/youtube][/QUOTE]

BTW, like my WorkBench?

:)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »
Quote from: Xanxi;740236

Disney Sound Source and, I believe, Covox Sound Thing.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »
@ NovaCoder

looking sweet! what screen resolution are you running ?
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 12:24:06 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;743354
Disney Sound Source and, I believe, Covox Sound Thing.

The current plan is for this port to have MIDI playback using only the native chipset (asm MUS player from DOOM).
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;743364
@ NovaCoder

looking sweet! what screen resolution are you running ?

Thanks I'm getting there, It's using the original DOS 320x200 screen mode.   I did try 320x240 but it doesn't really scale that well and in any case, if it's going to be built for 030 it will need to run at 320x200 for maximum speed.

I don't think there's a massive amount of work to do now, I think I'll be able to release something to the BETA testers in the next few weeks.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 12:58:03 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;743389
The current plan is for this port to have MIDI playback using only the native chipset (asm MUS player from DOOM).
Just curious, if you're already doing MIDI playback would it be much trouble to have an option to send it over the serial port instead? It'd lighten the CPU load and allow for a significant increase in music quality.

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 01:10:34 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;743392
Just curious, if you're already doing MIDI playback would it be much trouble to have an option to send it over the serial port instead? It'd lighten the CPU load and allow for a significant increase in music quality.

Hiya,

Yes it would be less load on the CPU but I've never attempted to do that before, not sure how hard it would be for my brain.   The other problem is I can't test it as I don't have external MIDI hardware, can you do this in WinUAE?

To use the chipset to play MIDI is pretty easy because I can re-use the code I did from BOOM (my DOOM port).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:15:19 AM by NovaCoder »
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;739914
It might even have music as well (either MUS format like DOOM or digital like the SFX, not sure yet).

Does it support MIDI sound output? A lot of those DOS games supported MIDI as an option, and it would be cool. I have a sound canvas sc88pro hooked to my A1200.

Thanks!

OOPS. Already asked :)

Quote from: NovaCoder;743393
can you do this in WinUAE?

Yes. It looks like you could choose Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth under UAE config options "IO Ports". Might be able to install a better software synth. the MS one kind of sounds like a cheap clone of a sound canvas.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:30:02 AM by bbond007 »

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #29 from previous page: August 02, 2013, 01:50:43 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;743393
Yes it would be less load on the CPU but I've never attempted to do that before, not sure how hard it would be for my brain.   The other problem is I can't test it as I don't have external MIDI hardware, can you do this in WinUAE?

To use the chipset to play MIDI is pretty easy because I can re-use the code I did from BOOM (my DOOM port).
Yeah, you can do it in WinUAE - and I'll definitely volunteer to test on real hardware ;) Though I don't know how easy it would be to adapt your code since I haven't seen it...

Quote from: bbond007;743395
Yes. It looks like you could choose Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth under  UAE config options "IO Ports". Might be able to install a better  software synth. the MS one kind of sounds like a cheap clone of a sound  canvas.
That's because it is a cheap clone of a Sound Canvas - Windows's GM.DLS soundset is cut down from Roland's Virtual Sound Canvas line of softsynths.