Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON FAQ Part 1 & Part 2  (Read 8296 times)

Description:

Offline Derfs

• Show only replies by Derfs
Re: A-EON FAQ Part 1 & Part 2
« Reply #44 from previous page: June 13, 2010, 11:59:05 PM »
Quote from: kurkosdr;564489
The fact I have to turn my car's semi-working aircondition on clearly indicates there are officially 0 days left till summer.
What we got from a-eon? 2 photos.

Anyway, it's a shiny (albeit hot) day outside, so let's cut them some slack. They might be running a bit late.

The really funny thing is that they still claim in their site they will have this out before summer... I expected the summer reference to have been gone by now, or (dare I say) even replaced with a final date...

its says "Coming Summer 2010" on the front page, and has for a while

Offline mpiva

• Show only replies by mpiva
    • http://members.shaw.ca/michpiva
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 12:26:08 AM »
Quote from: kurkosdr;564489
The fact I have to turn my car's semi-working aircondition on clearly indicates there are 0 days left till summer.

Actually, there are 7 days left till summer.  I hate to break it to you, but "Summer" is not based upon whether or not you need to turn your air-conditioning on; it's based upon solstices.  Now I'm not saying that I'm expecting the X1000 to be available for SALE before then, but if one's at the 25th Anniversary show next weekend, we'll all get to SEE one before Summer.  Also, it will seem at least 100 people will actually receive one this summer and, depending on how the beta testing goes, there may still be a chance it will be available to the general public before summer ends near the end of September.
-- Michael A. Piva --

"In engineering, there is no single truth, no one right answer; there\'s a canvas, and you paint it your way, only with chips or gates or subroutines rather than actual paint. That\'s the Amiga..."
-Dave Haynie

Offline kurkosdr

• Show only replies by kurkosdr
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
Since we are at it, are there any chances this machine will revive the interest for AmigaOS? Now, in order to get an Amiga, you have to buy the board and hook everything together by yourself. This has turned off a lot of people, i think.

I am puzzled by the fact that there are so many great OSes out there like Haiku and AmigaOS for home computer usage, yet most users are stuck with the CP/M Fileloader (Windows) and the AT&T line printer manager (Unix/Linux).

Most of the software people use today is open source stuff (VLC/Mozilla/MediaPortal/TSmuxer) so I am really surprised the authors tolerate with X-windows and Window's uber secret API, yet they won't even bother to port for Haiku and AmigaOS to raise interest. So sad...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:55:04 PM by kurkosdr »

Offline tone007

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »
Quote from: kurkosdr;564682
Since we are at it, are there any chances this machine will revive the interest for AmigaOS?

Not for anyone but the ultra-geeks, who'd probably be happy to build up their own system anyway. Most people are happy to pay a couple hundred bucks for a machine and have it work out of the box and have tons of software to use. The cost of this small production run hardware probably seems completely ridiculous to the average computer user.

I am puzzled by the fact that there are so many great OSes out there like Haiku and AmigaOS for home computer usage, yet most users are stuck with the CP/M fileloader (Windows) and the AT&T line printer manager (Unix/Linux)...

Support, support, support, be it hardware, software, technical, or warranty.  Try bringing an OS4 system to your local Best Buy/Staples for troubleshooting or repair.  Now that's "stuck."  It's fun stuff if you know what you're doing, but most people just want something that does what they need it to do and leaves them alone.  Computing isn't a novelty anymore, it's a necessity.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
I am puzzled by the fact that there are so many great OSes out there like Haiku and AmigaOS for home computer usage, yet most users are stuck with the CP/M Fileloader (Windows) and the AT&T line printer manager (Unix/Linux).

Ha ha
Most of the software people use today is open source stuff (VLC/Mozilla/MediaPortal/TSmuxer) so I am really surprised the authors tolerate with X-windows and Window's uber secret API, yet they won't even bother to port for Haiku and AmigaOS to raise interest. So sad...

Hahahahaha.:roflmao:

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »
Since we are at it, are there any chances this machine will revive the interest for AmigaOS? Now, in order to get an Amiga, you have to buy the board and hook everything together by yourself. This has turned off a lot of people, i think.

There's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin.

Offline kurkosdr

• Show only replies by kurkosdr
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »
Quote from: Piru;564686
Ha ha

Hahahahaha.:roflmao:
Care to explain why? Everyone who tried Haiku loved it, except when it came to playing games...
AmigaOS is tougher to like. Less sophisticated, less cute and I wish I could have a word with the dork who decided to go for the PPC platform instead of the PC (or not port it to the PC latter). Porting to the PC would allow them to sell it as a software package, but nooo, we have to sell it along with overpriced PPC mobos.

However, I think Haiku is ready for the glory. Nothing not to like (if you think there is something, please post).

Support, support, support, be it hardware, software, technical, or warranty. Try bringing an OS4 system to your local Best Buy/Staples for troubleshooting or repair. Now that's "stuck." It's fun stuff if you know what you're doing, but most people just want something that does what they need it to do and leaves them alone. Computing isn't a novelty anymore, it's a necessity.
So true. However, I am a man of hope. If Firefox managed to make a dent to Internet Explorer, in a market were it controlled 90+% of the market and everything was built for it, then why not something couldn't possibly overtake Windows?

Offline Piru

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2010, 03:43:56 PM »
Quote from: kurkosdr;564691
Care to explain why?
Trying to claim that windows still somehow would have something to do with CP/M. Or that Linux or BSD would have something to do with AT&T line printer manager. Totally absurd and ridiculous claims, you can only laugh at those.

Grouping AmigaOS with Haiku is IMO rather stupid as well.

Why would any developer target some very small and obscure system such as Haiku, or even obscurer such as AmigaOS? Just because you think those OSes are better or have better APIs (they don't, at least not AmigaOS)? There are after all such concepts as  "market share" and "potential user base"...

If Firefox managed to make a dent to Internet Explorer, in a market were it controlled 90+% of the market and everything was built for it, then why not something couldn't possibly overtake Windows?
Are you for real?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:16:54 PM by Piru »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »

So true. However, I am a man of hope. If Firefox managed to make a dent to Internet Explorer, in a market were it controlled 90+% of the market and everything was built for it, then why not something couldn't possibly overtake Windows?

Amiga and world domination?

Current technologies (some of them very old indeed) not supported by any Amigoid OS and hardware combination. And please, dont dare mention Gnash ports or WEP wifi, we all know the story...

Dual core
Bluetooth
USB 3 (Some Amigoid OSes dont even support USB 2!)
Wireless
Flash
Blue Ray
Firewire
Java

And I am just warming up :)

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 04:33:32 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;564697
Amiga and world domination?

Current technologies (some of them very old indeed) not supported by any Amigoid OS and hardware combination. And please, dont dare mention Gnash ports or WEP wifi, we all know the story...

Dual core
Bluetooth
USB 3 (Some Amigoid OSes dont even support USB 2!)
Wireless
Flash
Blue Ray
Firewire
Java

And I am just warming up :)

Too be fair even brand new Mac's like today's released new Mac Mini don't support USB3 or Blu-ray and Flash is S Jobs fav video playback system.

:)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 04:42:16 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;564698
Too be fair even brand new Mac's like today's released new Mac Mini don't support USB3 or Blu-ray and Flash is S Jobs fav video playback system.

:)

That is why PCs still hold world domination :)

BTW, the new mac mini seems way overpriced too.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2010, 04:48:09 PM »
When I can buy a Dell desktop unit for 240 dollars, the bar is going to need to be set waaaaay low.

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2010, 05:04:38 PM »
Care to explain why?

No, he won't, so what you going to do now. ? Smells rather trollish !
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline Piru

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 05:06:40 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;564705
No, he won't, so what you going to do now. ? Smells rather trollish !

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=564692&postcount=51

Try again.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »
Quote from: Piru;564706
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=564692&postcount=51

Try again.

PIRU !!!! Quick delete your stupid, troll baiting post, before he notices ! He's pretty dumb he might have to put it through his Military Grade Grep tool with its "insert a techo word filter" before replying.
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
Actually, I found the tool he used.......here we go.

Since Microsock invented TCP, imo there hasn't been a better anticeptic.

Since Apple Corp invented the Flip-Flop, the Beatles sound better on that IPOeD

IBM with one letter removed spells I'm !

Amiga is English for A Muppet in Goal Again !