Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CD32 opinions wanted  (Read 4653 times)

Description:

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
Re: CD32 opinions wanted
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 03:42:36 AM »
CD32's are very cool and fun to own.

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 03:50:42 AM »
I've had the CD32 with SX-1 and FMV. The sx-1 is quirky as it never really aligned well with the expansion connector too well. The SX32 would be ideal. Unfortunately these are insanely expensive. I snatched up the last CD32 from the Chinese Ebay outfit that was selling them. New in box with original Plastic film on all the parts. I sold it as I just could not justify it. My 9 year old xbox runs the PAL and CD32 games without issue and I don't need an indivison. My throw away pcs (PEntium HT systems) run this great with Amigakit really well so I get flicker free displays, I use my XBOX 360 controllers and it's great.

So true UAE if you want to save cash. Amiga hardware hobby is expensive and it could put a strain on relations with family members becuase they will think you're crazy hoarding 25 year old hardware.

An emulator running on a netbook is less offensive.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 04:19:13 AM »
Crom00 your lucky, we have wanted a CD32 FMV for many years.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 05:13:08 AM »
I once saw an FMV unit for sale in a bargain bin in a pre-owned video game shop for £15. Being a bit skint 'til the next day I couldn't get it and came back the following day, sadly it was gone. I was heartbroken and I've never seen one close to this price since. Life is just cruel sometimes.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 05:23:23 AM »
The Amiga CD32 game console is pretty good in my opinion.  There are some good games, I have 22 games and I really like Litil Divil, Body Blows Galactic, Defender of the Crown 2, Pirates, Alien Breed 3D and some others.  The controller actually fits well in the hand, although the D-pad on mine is starting to act up (heck the machine is what 15 yrs.  Games won't load super fast as it is only a 2x CD-Rom but it does its job well.  I enjoy the system and if the price is right then go for it.

Offline Crom00

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:24 AM »
@Pyro

My brother used it at his weekend DJ business a couple of times. In the late 90's to early 2000's in mainland China we could walkin to shops where you could get VCD movies of HK action movies for 20 cents a piece.

To be honest it wasn't worth it, I got it for $125 off of usenet. I sold it for $200 or something like that. I also had a peggy card at one point as part of a scala A4000T.

The most impressive demo I saw was WOCA New York show in 93 where they had a special plexi case A4000 with MPEG running a Bon Jovi video. I thought it was the DSP that they had planned but it made you wonder what was possible. At the time this was impressive.

You could also playback VCD's you make yourself provided you follow the standards and burn the CD at a low speed otherwise it would skip. Played Philips CDI Digital Video CD's too!

Offline Crom00

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 05:35:12 AM »
The Amiga was always kind of crippled in that, the machines shipped with low amounts of chip ram for too long as standard. So you were limited in what you can do. At least with the CD32 you had a standard set of resources to work with, every machine had a CD drive, every machine had the 2 megs ram. This gave the cd32 the most arcade like experience.

The CD adaptations of Amiga games were great becuase the sound tracks were upgraded to CD Digtial Audio wheras the CDTV spooled audio files off of CD, it did not support the extra audio tracks in game if I remeber correctly. They generally fixed any problems or added a little something not around in the floppy version.

It would have been great to have fast ram and at LEAST a 16mhz 030 or better... come on it was 1994 when they made the last batch.

Offline TakeShad

• Show only replies by TakeShad
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
Maybe the board of CD32 is a beauty for a tech person but the console itself was extremely ugly and believe me, it's one of the reasons people didn't like it. Even Megadrive with all those fugly add-ons doesn't look so bad.

I appreciate the fact that Commodore wanted to make a console but they've utterly failed at making one. CD32 is basically a cut-down Amiga computer and that reminds me of their previous console failure which is C64GS. Commodore obviously didn't learn from past mistakes.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
Would it be technically possible to add a clockPort to the CD32 like has been done with the other Amiga's?

Offline jsixis

• Show only replies by jsixis
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »
I've owned 3 or 4 with the SX-1.
YOu can't add ram and you can't accelerate them.
The door hinge will break.
The power supply is crap.

Other then that a nice machine but a 1200 is the way to go for games

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 12:29:43 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;581436
I disagree with this comment bigtime. £350 at launch? Cheap, I think not.

Cheap didnt mean for the customer. Cheap was for Commodore. think about it, based on a system that was already developed (1200) so most of the cost of developing the CD32 was already spent. What is the cheapest way to get more revenue? Convert an already existing product into a new revenue stream.

In that, CD32 did well. Unfortunately Commodore was already so in the hole that it wasnt enough, fast enough.

Offline kickstart

• Show only replies by kickstart
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 12:43:27 AM »
Buy a cd32 and enjoy the games and all the games compilations on cd... forget the plastic quality, desing....
a1200 060

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;581421
I bought one this past summer for CDN$75, and I'm pretty happy with it.  It came with the original box and instructions, a CD32 gamepad, a competition pro gamepad, and a mouse.  The original owner broke the edge of the hinge, so the CD door doesn't hold itself up when open.  From the looks of it, the plastic is just very brittle.
Most games need to be played in PAL mode, and with some games on the WHDload multigame CDs, I have to actually access the display menu again after choosing a game, otherwise it'll revert to NTSC mode.  Luckily, I have a 1084s that can display the PAL video.
For the multigame discs and most of the native cd32 games, any one-button joystick will do, but I actually like both of the controllers I have.  The pack-in controller is nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe.

How are you connecting the CD32 to your 1084?

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 12:57:22 AM »
For now, I'm just using composite, but I plan to use the chroma/luma inputs once I build an s-video adaptor.

Offline orb85750Topic starter

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 01:51:45 AM »
Quote from: kedawa;581658
For now, I'm just using composite, but I plan to use the chroma/luma inputs once I build an s-video adaptor.

OK, so even the composite on the 1084 works with both NTSC and PAL?  I learn something new on Amiga.org every day (really).

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 28, 2010, 04:26:00 AM »
Quote from: jsixis;581649
I've owned 3 or 4 with the SX-1.
YOu can't add ram and you can't accelerate them.
The door hinge will break.
The power supply is crap.

Huh? You can add RAM to the sx-1. Not to the cd32 itself, but you follow mention of sx-1 with "you cant add ram and you cant accelerate them". Additionally you can accelerate them with a few different add ons, and even just adding some fast ram to sx-1 will give you a nice little boost.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.