Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS installation problem  (Read 7817 times)

Description:

Offline SpektroTopic starter

AROS installation problem
« on: April 07, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to install Icaros Desktop Live! version 2.2.6. I wrote its iso image to a pen drive (using UNetbootin tool). It boots nicely to the boot options menu but selecting any of the available options (Default, Icaros Desktop, or AROS) gives me the following error:

Invalid or corrupt kernel image.

Does the iso image contain an invalid kernel image, like it says, or should the image be burned to a DVD in order to work?

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
Re: AROS installation problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 05:56:51 AM »
Unetbootin is for making bootable USB sticks of Linux distros.  IcarosDesktop is not a Linux or BSD distro so there's no *nix kernel to be transferred to your USB stick.

There's a Linux-hosted version of AROS that may work with unetbootin though.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »
So the Icaros Desktop Live! DVD is not bootable?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »

The DVD is bootable. But you didn't use a DVD, did you?

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 02:11:44 PM »
No. I tried several times to burn a DVD but it always failed. That's why I wrote the iso image to a pen drive.

Offline pyrre

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 09:58:17 PM »
What kind of OS are you running?

I use rufus under W7 and it works..... eem... it works.... (at least)
Amiga 1200 Tower Os 3.9
BPPC 603e+ 040-25/200, 256MBram, BVIsionPPC, Indivision AGA MK2.
Amiga 2000 (rev 4.0) Os 1.2/1.3
2088 bridgeboard, 2MB ram card, 2091 SCSI.
Amiga 500+ Os 2.1
Derringer 030, 32MBram, Buddha in sidecar, Indivision ECS.
Amiga CD32
Video decoder

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »
I have 4 partitions for various operating systems. I've already installed Windows XP, Windows 7, and Linux. The last partition is for AROS, if I manage to install it.

Offline OldAmigan

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:35:34 PM »
Have you looked through the installation manual? I'm sure it tells you how to write the image to either DVD or USB

guest21671

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 05:37:53 AM »
Did you follow the instructions in the Icaros Desktop manual pdf for installing on a pendrive?

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »
Did you follow the instructions in the Icaros Desktop manual pdf for installing on a pendrive?

There is a chicken and egg problem. You need to boot to AROS before you can install it on the pen drive.

A friend burned an AROS Live CD for me. It boots on one computer but not mine :( It gets stuck on a grey screen after loading for a good while. Looks like I'm not going to install AROS :(

Offline paul1981

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 09:48:10 PM »

There is a chicken and egg problem. You need to boot to AROS before you can install it on the pen drive.

A friend burned an AROS Live CD for me. It boots on one computer but not mine :( It gets stuck on a grey screen after loading for a good while. Looks like I'm not going to install AROS :(

When you say 'CD' you mean the 'light' version then? I was going to suggest trying that instead of the DVD. I seem to remember giving it its own hard drive at the time for some reason. The cd I burned was definitely bootable and you could test it out before installing (AROS that is). I wouldn't know about the dvd version but I presume it would be the same. Mine wasn't a compatible machine off the list, I managed to get my AROS connected to the internet but I couldn't get sound or correct graphic drivers to work. I had some fun trying though. I wonder whether your system is unhappy with the drives connected to it and it's stuck in drive scan mode or something. Pure speculation btw...