Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pirates and TOSEC sucks  (Read 8504 times)

Description:

Offline reflectTopic starter

• Show only replies by reflect
    • http://www.acggbg.org
Pirates and TOSEC sucks
« on: July 21, 2003, 11:16:22 PM »
I'm posting this for someone that wishes to remain anonymous. The reason I post this is cause I agree 100%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many months ago there was someone here on amiga.org who told me and a bunch of others that TOSEC aint a pirate team, YEAH right.
I told him the same that day as today, they pirate, I have discussed it on several places.

here is a site that show how crude this is...

link to pirate site removed by admin

all from old to brand new games..
online and ready to pick for anyone , sure bttr has legal ones, but this is not like bttr...
this site should be CLOSED! (planet emu)
new apc-tcp games , and games like apanosin etc..
No wonder people is giving up with developing
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Why aren't sites like these already closed down? It can't be that hard, now can it? New games.. ####..  I thought most people on amiga today realized that piracy today is killing what is left of the tiny developer community that we have.
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
Re: Pirates and TOSEC sucks
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 11:19:57 PM »
Yeah !! And you are really preventing piracy by publicising the URLs for everybody aren't you ......NOT ???? :-?  

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2003, 11:22:24 PM »
So what? the site is already out there. If we can get some attention on it, perhaps we can close it down.
--
These are interesting times we live in. New machines in progress, new AmigaOS in progress.. userbase slowly, slowly growing..  which is a success in itself.

Offline GadgetMaster

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 11:25:41 PM »
Well the way I look at it is that even if the sites exist they are not much use unless people know about them.

Linking to them is giving them free advertising, thats all I am saying.

Offline Gaidheal

• Show only replies by Gaidheal
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 11:41:38 PM »
Interesting site..

Seriously, I can see both arguments.. but a quick Google search will find it easily enough.  Equally, whingeing on here is not goint to close it down.
[color=3300FF]Gaidheal[/color][/b][color=0066CC] - \\"The Emulator Guy\\"[/color][/i]

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 11:45:27 PM »
"whingeing"?  (is that even an english word?)  :))
On the contrary, get me a couple of dedicated people and we'll bring the site down. It doesn't take a whole lot to do that, you know.

Find the provider that this site buys bandwidth from, check the acceptable use policy and take it from there. If their policy doesn't cut it, then find out who their upstream provider is.

It's not like people are untouchable cause they're on the net.
--

Offline Gaidheal

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 11:47:13 PM »
@reflect:

So why are you not doing that, instead of posting the URL?

edit:  P.S.  Yes, it's an English word *shakes head*
[color=3300FF]Gaidheal[/color][/b][color=0066CC] - \\"The Emulator Guy\\"[/color][/i]

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 11:50:19 PM »
but a quick Google search will find it easily enough

Among other intersting things

reminds me of the arcade game Whack-a-Mole
 shut one down two pop up

True pirates would probably, (my assumption here) , not stay in one place for long, maybe even W.A.R. driving etc...

but since I like to live in the gnu/free world , this discussion and its ilk interests me not.
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 11:52:43 PM »
The URL is gone now, so why don't we just drop that part of the discussion, yeah?

And "why I aren't doing that" ie closing them down, is cause it's more effective if there's more people working with you.
--

Offline GadgetMaster

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 11:54:48 PM »

reflect wrote:
"whingeing"?  (is that even an english word?)  :))

FYI  It actually does exist  :-D

whinge /wnd/ verb (pres.part. whinge•ing or whing•ing) [v] (BrE, informal, disapproving) ~ (about sb/sth) to complain in an annoying way: She's always whingeing about how unfair everything is.
  whinge noun whin•ger noun

Taken from: http://www.oup.com/elt/oald/

Its a UK specific spelling ;-)

Offline Gaidheal

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 11:56:46 PM »
The URL is gone now, so why don't we just drop that part of the discussion, yeah?

Sure, lucky I bookmared it, eh?  :-P

And "why I aren't doing that" ie closing them down, is cause it's more effective if there's more people working with you

OK, I'm game... even luckier I bookmarked it, aye?   8-)

Offline decore

• Show only replies by decore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 11:13:02 PM »

*While you read this, please note i don't support piracy*
                     *allthough you may not think so*

Imho Tosec is a great idea. I've yet to see anything NEW
at that site at all. newest game would probably be alien breed 3d 2 or something like that.

They are doing a great job in fact. Collecting over many thousands of disks of various old games,programs,demoscene productions and so on. They check what version, name of company,releasedates, and so forth, and everything to make sure that everything
that ever was being made on amiga in those good old days... can still be enjoyed in the light of present day and future.

**break : Tosec is in no way amiga only, they give out tons of stuff for atari spec nes and tons and tons more stuff**

Imho, amiga is very much alive by the fact that ppl can play old games, use good old dpaint/ppaint and enjoy
the mighty power of real o.s. ).Not even starting to mention the demoscene,the amount of ppl hungry to check out the history of various groups are tending to be quite enormous.

You know it as well as i do, there are tons of them old
games which are never going to be played but just maybe one day, someone will pick it up, not because they wanted to, but because they stumbled upon some old game (or app) made available by those guys at Tosec.
I really fail to see what money is "lost" because of this.
It's in a way funny, because all of which tosec has released as i have seen so far is in fact re-releases of
good working copies of various software.
In other words. It is *already* been pirated and it killed the amiga.  So what damage could it do NOW? when the amiga is already been slained to a ghost/angel who has yet to prove it's commercial value in todays market.
I really hate to say this, i really,really do. But at least i know the truth.

I really would like to say that amiga would rise from the ashes, but face reality, not like the way amiga is heading atm, no don't think so.

Now ..It's a whole new ballgame to relelase new amiga software, however, i don't think the whole idea of the work that Tosec does should be consireded such a negative result fact, because it simply isn't. And i stress the fact that i do NOT know of any new software or should i say profitable commercial software that would be sold in any way is being released by Tosec.

The thing is that many users liked amiga the way they were(are). Who needs more then an amiga with b1260 anyway? or blizzard 1230 for that matter.  It was this thought and along with piracy which seriously helped kill the amiga.
However, i better stop coz i am changing topics here =)..

Now you may all disagree with me, and i  am totally cool with that, but ask yourself this question. :

How many new users did amiga community gain by new hardware, new exciting software  the last 5 years?
a million? 100 thousand? 10 thousand?
And then think of the possibility of reliving the amiga dream through an pc on emulation...

New hardware or latest winuae?
Take your pick "Joe".

Don't be a smart ass if you're not prepared to loose.
 :-)

Offline decore

• Show only replies by decore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2003, 11:26:36 PM »

I would just like to add that, if i ever saw such a site
which did publish new commercial amiga software,
i'd take em down myself.

However, i don't have the habit of searching for new amiga software, hence i would never find such a thing..
(the thread starter  obvs. has, no one thought of that?)

At least that's what i hope for their's sake.

ps:sorry for terrible english.

Offline LP

• Show only replies by LP
    • http://bailout.dk
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2003, 12:05:25 AM »
Ehm...

-May I remind the admin who removed the link that the link actually is right here on amiga.org?

-Someone here said OK for it I presume?

-Amiga.org -> Pirates? -Don't think so...

Confusion :-?

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2003, 12:19:20 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuuuhm.

Does this mean that Amiga.org will disable it's internal links? :-D.

--edit

SHEES, again I've not been paying attention. LP already spotted this. That's it, I'm going to bed.