Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga PCs on the way....  (Read 33155 times)

Description:

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
Re: Amiga PCs on the way....
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2010, 10:33:19 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;577157

I'd say Ben Herman's ramblings of "legal actions" are totally bogus. From what is publicly known, I completely fail to see how Hyperion could possibly manage to sue neither Amiga Inc nor CommodoreUSA for this trade mark license agreement.

I'd say, if this really goes to court (which I doubt) both sides will be so cashstrapped that the 1st blow will be fatal. So whoever manages to get an injunction blocking the other sides products or finds a way to make the other sides legal fees skyrocket will "win".

@Piru
*coke-spill*
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2010, 10:39:27 PM »
@piru: sounds like fun.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2010, 10:39:39 PM »
Quote from: Piru;577175
   This means that if Commodore USA has obtained a valid license to use the name Amiga, they're now signees of the agreement.

**EDIT** Actually as a friend pointed out there is a difference between ownership and possession: "The law permits a trademark owner to license its marks as long as the owner controls the nature and quality of the goods or services bearing the marks." So this clause may not apply in this case after all. However, since the clause below includes wording "including through sub-licensing" I think the only relevance is defining the legal entity to sue in case of disagreement.

Good analysis Piru.

Regarding the owner controlling the nature and quality of the goods and services, I'm pretty sure there were stipulations that Amiga Inc can exercise quality control over Hyperion products bearing the AmigaOS (etc) name.  The clause therefore may apply.  I may be a bit confused though!

Offline odin

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2010, 10:42:56 PM »
Quote from: piru;577175
the plot thickens:

commodore usa threatens osnews with legal action

:roflmao:

Offline Pete_Noir

• Show only replies by Pete_Noir
    • http://twitter.com/the_pete
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:45 PM »
Maybe this will end like an episode of Scooby Doo. Barry is unmasked as none other than..gasp.. Bill McEwen! If it wasn't for those meddling kids..

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 10:59:24 PM »
I'm afraid these events are pretty much the final straw for me.

I was interested in an X1000.  I have the money now waiting for it, but this just brings uncertainty.  I never liked the AmigaOne name, and now we could end up in the farcical situation that we have computers called Amiga that do not run an Amiga OS, and other computers called AmigaOne that do run an Amiga OS.  That is just confusing and will never appeal to outsiders.

What is more is that this CommodoreUSA can only use their licenses to produce computers in a keyboard style.  So no range of machines like there used to be.  How limiting.  Or does all in one apply to laptops, netbooks and slates too?  I doubt it.

I'm not interested at all in the product offerings of CommodoreUSA regarding their proposed Amiga range.

I've tried AROS, and it is hit and miss which hardware it supports.  I wish it luck, but I don't think it's for me.

I haven't tried Morphos, know very little about it, have no animosity towards it, but it doesn't appeal to me either.

I'm afraid I think I am now finished with the Amiga and it's array of flavours.  I desperately wanted some fun again when using computers, but it's all been trashed again.

I guess I may still consider a Sam460.  At least that would be a bit less money wasted.

Offline Pete_Noir

• Show only replies by Pete_Noir
    • http://twitter.com/the_pete
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;577188
What is more is that this CommodoreUSA can only use their licenses to produce computers in a keyboard style.

Well, shitty as it may be, at least in that case CUSA can stick with their x86s with AROS/Windows, and Hyperion/ACube/A-Eon etc can keep doing what they're doing. Not all that much will change. I doubt anyone who was planning to buy an X1000 or Sam will suddenly buy a Commdore USA PC instead just because it has a special sticker on it.

Who knows, with all this in the news, it may draw more attention to AmigaOS from people who weren't previously aware it was still in existence.

Offline tone007

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2010, 11:43:46 PM »
Quote from: Pete_Noir;577194
Who knows, with all this in the news, it may draw more attention to AmigaOS from people who weren't previously aware it was still in existence.

We can always use a handful of new trolls!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2010, 11:46:45 PM »
Quote from: Franko;577163
Wow what a load of fuss over nothing... :eek:

C'mon folks how many times over the years have we heard all these legal arguments and debates, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee... :rolleyes:

Short of some deranged super die hard Amiga fanatic coming along and willing to spend all his cash on buying up the rights to the Commodore & Amiga legacy and funding new R&D and actually producing a new Amiga, there's not a hope in hell of us every seeing a new Amiga in the true sense of the word. :(

You stand a far better chance of me actually saying something sensible than that ever happening... :biglaugh:

Well to be fair OS4 + AmigaOne X1000 is actually a genuine alternative to PC/Mac. Hell 99% of Mac hardware is identical to Windows PCs.

But this Barry Altman prick of a guy is just a joke and anything he sells stinks of shit. It's not that I expect anyone with a clue to do something clever like reverse engineer the basics of the Xenon CPUd Xbox360 motherboard...it's more that I wish they would just let Amiga die peacefully and with some dignity.

That's all there is to this particular topic I suspect with most genuine Amigans. And that's if you believe Bill McEwan actually granted this or maybe it's just bullshit from Barry because he knows Bill has disappeared down a black hole and so the whole thing is to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Modern OS4 capable hardware = good
AROS used for non profit = good
Barry Altman = prick

;)

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2010, 11:47:04 PM »
I'm think like 3 way cage match, one night only!

OS News

Commodore USA

Hyperion

-----------------

Fight!
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #84 on: September 02, 2010, 12:09:37 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;577157

Apparently, Amiga Inc has licensed the trade mark word "Amiga" to CommodoreUSA

Let's get this right. A "Trademark" is just that. A way of marking your goods for the purpose of trade. You cannot "Trademark" a word that exists in a real language as this is considered a generic mark. Otherwise I would Trademark the word "Cleaner" and sue the arse off of thousands of companies. What you can trademark is the graphical representation of that word, and, to a lesser extent, the fair use of that word. It could be argued that the word "Amiga" on a computer could be what is trademarked. However, under "Fair usage" Hyperion could arque that the fair usage of the AmigaOS trademark (please hold in mind the graphical representation of that mark) is infringed by the Amiga trademark (written in the same graphical style) on another computer (made by say, commodoreUS) and Ainc. would find themselves with a case to answer yet again.

Having said that it's all pancakes to me, my interest is in Natami and SAM.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2010, 12:16:56 AM »
Quote from: Franko;577163

Short of some deranged super die hard Amiga fanatic coming along and willing to spend all his cash on buying up the rights to the Commodore & Amiga legacy and funding new R&D and actually producing a new Amiga, there's not a hope in hell of us every seeing a new Amiga in the true sense of the word.

Have you been looking at my "Things to do" list?
That one's listed under "Win the lottery".
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2010, 12:20:16 AM »
I can't understand people's negativity.  There was a day everyone would have been ecstatic over the prospect of new officially-branded Amiga computers, from a company called Commodore, running an Amiga-compatible OS.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »
Quote from: ajlwalker;577188
I'm afraid these events are pretty much the final straw for me.

I was interested in an X1000.  I have the money now waiting for it, but this just brings uncertainty.  I never liked the AmigaOne name, and now we could end up in the farcical situation that we have computers called Amiga that do not run an Amiga OS, and other computers called AmigaOne that do run an Amiga OS.  That is just confusing and will never appeal to outsiders.

What is more is that this CommodoreUSA can only use their licenses to produce computers in a keyboard style.  So no range of machines like there used to be.  How limiting.  Or does all in one apply to laptops, netbooks and slates too?  I doubt it.

I'm not interested at all in the product offerings of CommodoreUSA regarding their proposed Amiga range.

I've tried AROS, and it is hit and miss which hardware it supports.  I wish it luck, but I don't think it's for me.

I haven't tried Morphos, know very little about it, have no animosity towards it, but it doesn't appeal to me either.

I'm afraid I think I am now finished with the Amiga and it's array of flavours.  I desperately wanted some fun again when using computers, but it's all been trashed again.

I guess I may still consider a Sam460.  At least that would be a bit less money wasted.

No just get lost, you clearly have issues. I suppose you must also be upset by all the different Linux versions and the fact that Mac dumped 68k and then PowerPC.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2010, 12:25:24 AM »
Quote from: Amiga_Nut;577199
But this Barry Altman prick of a guy is just a joke and anything he sells stinks of shit.
;)

You haven't contacted him yet. He's one serious asshole! The first line in his response to me was to ask what rock I crawled out from under. Each of you with a viewpoint ought to contact him (the e-mail address is part of the threatening letter to OSNews).

The fact that he's dumb enough to enter into a business relationship with Bill McEwen speaks volumes.

What's most offensive is he and Bill getting together to try to market something created by our community. Hey, AROS may be free, but does that mean that someone with no interest in our market other than making a profit should be allowed to take the hard work of others and slap it into some generic piece of crap and call it an Amiga?

Altman and McEwen? As far as I'm concerned, both notorious con men and serious detriment to the Amiga community
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #89 from previous page: September 02, 2010, 12:33:33 AM »
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!