Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (RFD) Olive branches and reuniting the community? (MorphOS / Amiga)  (Read 8166 times)

Description:

Offline drewz21

• Show only replies by drewz21
Re: (RFD) Olive branches and reuniting the community? (MorphOS / Amiga)
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 05, 2009, 02:32:19 AM »
I think any and all Amiga related activity/discussion is good.  Keeps people interested.  Bring MORPH back home!
Amiga - The fun computer!

Amiga 500 - 3MB, A590, 250MB HD, SupraTurbo28.
Amiga 1200HD - 32MB, 4GB CF-Card, GVP 68030-40Mhz.
Amiga 600HD

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 03:32:51 AM »
Like many, I missed out on the worst of the Red vs Blue war and for a long time did not understand it, nor did I want to take days reading all about it so I could understand what all the fuss was about.  Over the last few years I have learned little bits here and there, enough to give me the impression that there was enough blame to go around on all sides and bad behavior on just about everyone's part, in some way or another.  What I did learn though, was that the divide and bad feelings were much deeper than I had imagined, so I no longer write naive postings hoping for the two sides to drop their feud and join forces on just one Amiga-Like system.  Now I just hope for an uneasy truce and a "Live and let Live" attitude, so there is no more damage to this tiny and ever shrinking group of computer enthusiasts.

I have always thought of A.org as a tolerant place where the two sides could voice their opinions and views without the flames that get thrown at some other sites, or at least not as one sided for either camp and usually snuffed out more quickly.  This site has been and continues to be my number one place to come for all things Amiga and I think Wayne deserves much credit for keeping it so informative and friendly.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline CountRaven

• Show only replies by CountRaven
    • http://www.amigaplanet.gr
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 04:04:00 AM »
Bring MORPH back home!

Was Amiga.org the home of MorphOS before MorphZone? Yeap I am too young in the Amiga scene -lets say two years- and have missed all the old wars...
Peg2, Amiga 500, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200D-030, Amiga 1200PPC, Amiga 4000PPC, CD32, 2xCDTV, Sam 440EP, Efika, AmigaOne XE.

http://www.amigaplanet.gr

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 04:10:00 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;509230
Ok.  Let's stop.  Calling someone a cheerleader is also a big part of the problem.  Can't you see that?  Whether intended innocently or not, it is still a wedge between the community.

Wayne, you're absolutely right, those were words (or, rather, that was a word) badly chosen by myself, and I apologize for it.

I'm amazed you don't already know / remember this, but Bill Buck and Raquel Velasco are persona non-gratis on this site, unless they are willing to write the checks owed to those who put our lives on hold then got royally screwed by them in 2002/2003, myself included.

I knew there was some bad blood but I wasn't sure what the nature of it was, so, understood.

Again, old crap, doesn't need to be brought up, so let's drop it, but that's where I stand on your concerns.  I am much more concerned about the community (all of us) than I am a couple of dishonorables.
Wayne

Gotcha.  Onward and upward, sarh!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 05:04:03 AM »
I think this is a great idea.  I'm not sure if it is necessary to set up different sections.  I can see it would be a way to group topics together in an easy to find forum setting.  But, I can also see Matt's point as well.  As Matt indicated, he has used the existing forums for occasional MorphOS-related discussions, and it seems to have worked out fine.

Unfortunately, I do remember the red vs blue stuff.  I arrived on the scene after it was already in progress.  Many unfortunate things were said, as well as alot of trolling and cheep shots from both sides.  I even got in a few cheep shots myself, and took a few hits as well.  Then there was a mass exodus to another site.  It all seems so silly to me now.

---
redfox
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:14:30 AM by redfox »

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 06:44:42 AM »
Yes:66 to No:5.

You could learn a lot about human nature by looking at the Amiga community over the last 20 years.  Its not all good, but this is a positive step.

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 09:47:09 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;509230
Ok.  Let's stop.  Calling someone a cheerleader is also a big part of the problem.  Can't you see that?  Whether intended innocently or not, it is still a wedge between the community.

I'm amazed you don't already know / remember this, but Bill Buck and Raquel Velasco are persona non-gratis on this site, unless they are willing to write the checks owed to those who put our lives on hold then got royally screwed by them in 2002/2003, myself included.

Again, old crap, doesn't need to be brought up, so let's drop it, but that's where I stand on your concerns.  I am much more concerned about the community (all of us) than I am a couple of dishonorables.

Wayne

* EDITED:

I wasn't doing marketing of MorphOS here, just JUSTIFIED its presence according to the timeline that I seem to know.
I do not under any circumstances claim any Amiga-like systems' superiority.
I am forced financially not to have a choice here (I mean the system).
I hate calling people names alas 99% people do this... well, I don't :-)
I missed the war, if I was in it I wouldn't have chosen my side anyway.
I apologize even though I didn't do anything.
I apologize for living.
I apologize for apologizing.

Hallelujah!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:57:46 AM by DiskDoctor »
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 11:52:50 AM »
To be honest I have not read this whole thread, only wayne's original post.  The reaosn being I knwo there will be some name calling and bitching in here and it will make me sad.

I had always thought we catered to everyone on this site. thats why I have always stood up to anyway who flames morphos thread etc on this site, you know the people I mean.

I am more than happy for Morphos forums on here. Share the love, share the friendship, share the knowledge share the diversity.

Thats is what life is all about difersity, knowledge and love.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:54:05 AM by JJ »
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »
Quote from: DiskDoctor;509348
* EDITED:

I wasn't doing marketing of MorphOS here, just JUSTIFIED its presence according to the timeline that I seem to know.
I do not under any circumstances claim any Amiga-like systems' superiority.
I am forced financially not to have a choice here (I mean the system).
I hate calling people names alas 99% people do this... well, I don't :-)
I missed the war, if I was in it I wouldn't have chosen my side anyway.
I apologize even though I didn't do anything.
I apologize for living.
I apologize for apologizing.

Hallelujah!

That's the spirit. When someone offers you an olive branch it's nice to be positive. :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »
TAFOOS aren't exactly setting the real world on fire. Why attempt to evangelize one over any of the others?

I'll happily run any of them.
int p; // A

Offline zylesea

• Show only replies by zylesea
    • http://www.via-altera.de
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
Quote from: CountRaven;509314
Was Amiga.org the home of MorphOS before MorphZone? Yeap I am too young in the Amiga scene -lets say two years- and have missed all the old wars...

Nah - TeH real (TM) home was http://www.ann.lu - that was a cool place back in time. At no other place the red/blue fights were as fierce as at that place.

Honestly, after MorphOS was not welcomed by everyone in the Amiga scene but got strong and increasing hostilitiy by some certain individuals, sails were set and I guess the first site for MorphOS was http://www.morphos-news.de by David Scheibler. A bit later morphzone.org appeared and earned its comunity share.  

IIRC amiga.org was always quite tolerant and here those fights just didn't happen. Thus, no need to explicitly include MorphOS and AROS here. In my book they were always part of the story here...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
Quote from: zylesea;509377
IIRC amiga.org was always quite tolerant and here those fights just didn't happen. Thus, no need to explicitly include MorphOS and AROS here. In my book they were always part of the story here...

Having sub forums where issues specific to each OS is generally preferable (for ease of navigation and categorisation), I'd say. It isn't essential but it would help avoid confusion.
int p; // A

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2009, 03:17:14 PM »
To come here and also read about other branches of Amiga is great IMHO. You might rejuvenate a diffrent part of the Amiga interest. The idea is pure gold. Long live Wayne.
Then ppl write about problems and solutions with different Amiga fields, its interesting.
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »
Based on an 81 to 5 ratio, I think it's a pretty clear indication of how our members want this to go.

Right now, the deed is done, on an EXPERIMENTAL basis.  If you guys lose your cool or start calling each other names, I can easily turn it all back off and go back to SNAFU.

I know this might get a little confusing.  There seems to be a bit of overlap in our forums now, but here's the way I've got it lined up currently (I'm open to suggestions)...

• Development (master category deleted)

• Operating Systems Specific Discussions (master category added)
    • Amiga OS
      • Amiga OS Applications discussion and support
      • Amiga OS Development (was Dev // AmigaOS development)
      • Amiga OS 4.x (future) Hardware Compatibility Discussions
    • Amiga UNIX discussion
    • AROS Research OS (was Dev // AROS Development)
    • Linux PPC Discussion (was Dev // Linux PPC Development)
    • MorphOS
      • MorphOS Applications discussion and support
      • MorphOS Development
      • MorphOS -- Hardware requirements and availability discussion
    • Other Operating Systems

We'll try this and see what happens.  If you see anyone get out of line, PLEASE help us out by using the "report post" function.  We can't watch everything, all the time.

My only real concern is that McEwen has a habit of popping up when least expected and demanding that anything not Amiga specific be removed from any site with Amiga in the name (he'd be fully justified -- no debates please, that's a statement, not a request for comment --  but it would leave us with a choice of comply, or shut the whole site down). Feel free to ask Davey D about that.

To be very clear and very honest about it, my intent here is to try and get the Amiga community back together, no matter what they run.  It's not anyone's fault that Amiga Inc has failed to produce a viable desktop alternative, meaning that while the trademark issues are sketchy, they don't actually have any competition since they're not producing a desktop platform.

Since Amiga Inc is not supporting or developing for the desktop (and they are completely ignoring the community), I cannot possibly see how trying to help Amiga users could be a conflict of interest or in "bad faith".  

For the record, while I hope they will tolerate these actions in the interest of uniting the Amiga community, I will absolutely reserve the right to take whatever steps are necessary to protect the site should that happen.

Enjoy, and have fun.

Wayne
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:17:18 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

Offline DiskDoctor

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »
Well as shown on cases above, Terms of Use should be possibly changed under specific conditions.  Quarreling about classics or within AmigaOS is pretty fine.  But to prevent cease-fire denial, I think it (those specific issues you said) need to be clearly stated in a ToS.

I mean it.  Just to make sure that Amiga.org is now a demilitarized zone (DMZ) :lol:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:56:05 PM by DiskDoctor »
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 06:49:01 PM »
Quote from: DiskDoctor;509397
But to prevent cease-fire denial, I think it (those specific issues you said) need to be clearly stated in a ToS.
We have both a moderation policy and ToS in place (see site info below) which draws attention to the "this is my house" rules of order.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//