Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS/4 OpenLinux  (Read 3664 times)

Description:

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
Re: OS/4 OpenLinux
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;741392
"OS4 OpenLinux" has absolutely positively nothing to do with Amiga or AmigaOS4.

They could call it PS3 OpenLinux or Xbox 360 OpenLinux or Nintendo Wii OpenLinux and it would be the exact same product with the exact same relevance.

Its just a Intel Linux Distro.  You know, like all those other free linux distros such as Ubuntu or Debian.  Only "OS4 OpenLinux" costs a big pile of money.

It is actually free;

http://sourceforge.net/projects/os4online/files/rel13.5/

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
Ed.

Offline number6

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;741407
AmigaWorld.net - OS4 OpenLinux: Regarding the Amiga Community

He was also interviewed on Ashachat:
Sunday night IRC chat June 30.2013

And he also was posed and responded to about 3 hours of questions the following week after the Steven Solie q/a:
Sunday night IRC chat July 7, 2013

Last week was a regular meeting without q/a, but Robert Dohnert had a discussion with terminills about AROS, amongst other things.
No idea if that was logged.

Tomorrow night:
Trevor Dickinson

Portions of the team*amiga channel logs are posted:
http://www.intuitionbase.com/static.php?section=irc

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:41:48 PM by number6 »

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »
Interesting... So it's mostly confusion about the name....
we called it OS4 Workspace. But, some people e-mailed us and were upset because they assumed OS4 Workspace was the AmigaOS on x86 even though never marketed as such. So we changed it
Good, that should alleviate the confusion because..
to OS4 OpenDesktop
D'oh!!
So, they thought the confusion was because it "Workspace" sounded too much like Workbench maybe??
and still confusion was rampant
OK, so they know now that it wasn't the "Workspace" part of the name..  Whew..
and we changed the name to OS4 OpenLinux and OS4 Enterprise Linux.
Seriously???

These are smart guys, but they are saying they don't recognize the OS4 to Amiga connection in the name??

Really?

At least say something like "We realize OS4 might sound related to Amiga OS4, but it's not related at all."
Instead, they say, yeah there is confusion and we're willing to change the name...  But it's obviously not the OS4 part of the name, so we'll change the other part.."
;-)

So, if I came out with a gamesystem called the Playstation PSWon...  And people were confused, my first choice should be to rename it to the Playstation Winner??
(Not taking into account trademark issues, just considering customer "confusion" here)

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;741394
Two more weeks. ;)

Days, Weeks, Months, Amiwest?
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:10 PM »
I don't understand these guys. They started out with a product with a name coincidentally similar to an Amiga operating system, but no actual connection. So instead of going on their merry way, now they're capitalizing on the confusion: adding knock-off boing balls, adding hosted AROS to their distro, reselling PPC Macs with MorphOS pre-installed (!), licensing Amiga Forever, (mis)directing users interested in AmigaOS4 to Amiga Inc.

I can't tell if this potential exposure of our preferred family of OSes to non-Amigans is a good thing or not. My inner curmudgeon wishes that these kinds of interlopers would just leave us alone. :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 12:06:40 AM »
Quote from: Terminills;741419
Days, Weeks, Months, Amiwest?

I wish I had the money to fly over for this years AmiWest, I hear it's going to be the best one ever!

Mind you I don't fancy the colonoscopy by the TSA when I land on US soil because I'm on several lists for being a "ne'er do well Shi'ite Muslim Fundamentalist". Lol
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 12:20:09 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;741434
I don't understand these guys. They started out with a product with a name coincidentally similar to an Amiga operating system, but no actual connection. So instead of going on their merry way, now they're capitalizing on the confusion: adding knock-off boing balls, adding hosted AROS to their distro, reselling PPC Macs with MorphOS pre-installed (!), licensing Amiga Forever, (mis)directing users interested in AmigaOS4 to Amiga Inc.

I can't tell if this potential exposure of our preferred family of OSes to non-Amigans is a good thing or not. My inner curmudgeon wishes that these kinds of interlopers would just leave us alone. :)

apparently the controversy causes unusual traffic on their sites which improves some rankings. who knows. might be all, but might be more to it.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 12:49:52 AM »
I sorta grinned when the guy mentioned being in contact with Barry from CUSA prior.  Awfully familiar, isn't it.

CUSA capitalized on the confusion as best as they could as well.

I wish these Linux guys the best - but I still didn't get an answer to my question:

What exactly warrants the $115 cost on the distro with AF included via them, when I can just DL the distro and buy AF for $10 separately?

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 12:51:16 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;741438
I wish I had the money to fly over for this years AmiWest, I hear it's going to be the best one ever!

Mind you I don't fancy the colonoscopy by the TSA when I land on US soil because I'm on several lists for being a "ne'er do well Shi'ite Muslim Fundamentalist". Lol

Nice to see we still have things in common. ;P Don't worry..... All that NSA spying is "exaggerated", so the Gov'ment tell us. ;)
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;741439
apparently the controversy causes unusual traffic on their sites which improves some rankings. who knows. might be all, but might be more to it.

I'm sure there is more to it. They're Cylons.

And they have a PLAN!!!!!!!!

LOL! Does this mean that the new OS4 mobos are the Final Five? I only ask, 'cos AmigaOne, AmigaOne-U (or whatever it was called), Sam 440, Sam 460, X1000. Coincidence? I think not! :insane:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 02:13:23 AM »
I saw a video videos on youtube, bears zero resemblence to anything amiga except for the boing ball wallpaper, so I guess I just don't get it.

Its ubuntu with xfce, pretty standard linux. Looks like they took xfce ubuntu and changed the wallpaper and a few things. (yawn)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;741443
I saw a video videos on youtube, bears zero resemblence to anything amiga except for the boing ball wallpaper, so I guess I just don't get it.

Its ubuntu with xfce, pretty standard linux. Looks like they took xfce ubuntu and changed the wallpaper and a few things. (yawn)

My KDE setup is more Amiga-like than their POS re-skin.

I have Kens Icons, Click to focus window, double click to raise window, FS-UAE on a separate physical 1080p screen, shared folders between Linux and FS-UAE, AROS-hosted on its own screen, VNC session to my MorphOS machine on a separate screen and I use Kens Icons on the UAE 3.9 emulated machine, AROS hosted session, the MorphOS machine and the KDE desktop.

I should create a live CD of my setup with an installer and sell it as an official Amiga Linux OS4 through Commodore Amiga Iran.

I'm sure it would probably sell more than this crap Ubuntu re-skin, be a more authentic Amiga experience and also it will be legally allowed to use the Commodore Amiga trademark since I own the company and the rights. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline nicholas

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »
Quote from: Methuselas;741441
Nice to see we still have things in common. ;P Don't worry..... All that NSA spying is "exaggerated", so the Gov'ment tell us. ;)

When i worked at the Islamic Centre of England in London which is the official centre of the Iranian govt I was followed several times when going to and from the Centre. These people have nothing better to do it seems.

"Islamic" terrorists are 100% Wahabbi Sunnis who blindly follow the violent official doctrine of the USA's best busy Saudi Arabia (or Occupied Hijaz as we refer to it) so quite why they consider Shi'as who are going about their job teaching the less well versed of our community about authentic Islam is a mystery to me.

Anyway back to the topic, OS4 Open Linux is a ridiculous scam. Even Merlancia was a better class of swindle than this pile of ****. Lol

Offline ArgoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:22 AM »
Quote from: spirantho;741391
I think it affects AmigaOS 4 users more because OS 4 Linux has the same name. If it was called MorphOS Linux, there'd be exactly the same reaction from MorphOS users.

Hmmm,  I couldn't find a linux distro called Morph Linux. I smell an opportunity!
Have to hit GIMP and work up a blue Luna Moth logo...

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 21, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;741434

Exactly. Why they could just keep their PC Linux being PC Linux they decided to change name, dedicate a distro to Barry Altman ... and then quite continue where he left off ... by changing name to Amiga Open Linux at one point, integrating AROS and now selling MorphOS systems with promise of PPC port of their Linux. I haven`t seen reactions on AROS EXEC, but on AW.net it looks like more polite version of C=USA
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja