Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wings NG on AmigaOS can happen!  (Read 1689 times)

Description:

Offline YasuTopic starter

• Show only replies by Yasu
Wings NG on AmigaOS can happen!
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »
If they reach the streachgoal of $95.000 (including paypal pledges) within the next 20 hours there will be an AmigaOS version (as well as MacOS and Linux). That made me donate some more :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition?ref=search

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Wings NG on AmigaOS can happen!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;754097
If they reach the streachgoal of $95.000 (including paypal pledges) within the next 20 hours there will be an AmigaOS version (as well as MacOS and Linux). That made me donate some more :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/850516062/wings-remastered-edition?ref=search

No, it can't.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline slimf

• Show only replies by slimf
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;754097

Not really accurate... If they reach 95k, they will make the source code available for someone else to port to AmigaOS. They have never stated that they will be making an amiga version. They would be insane to, and are trying to tap the amiga community for funds without actually delivering anything. Read the fine print on this and you will see what I mean.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:00:17 PM »
@slimf

correct. cinemaware have stated they only intend to release the source code to interested parties for the purpose of porting to GNU/linux or AOS. unfortunately the game will rely upon unity3D, and since there is very little chance of that ever being ported over to AOS (or indeed any other AOS-like OS), there is a very slim chance indeed we'll ever see it on our NG amigas.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:05:11 PM »
Yeah, someone else told me the same thing. I got an mail from them telling me that if they reached $95.000 they would port Wings NG to MacOS, Linux and AmigaOS and that was the first time for me I've hard AmigaOS being mentioned. So I simply assumed that they where going to do this somehow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can they really claim they are going to do something if they don't have any means to do it? Wouldn't this be a breach of contract with Kickstarter?

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
As awesome as such a port would be...  I'd honestly prefer some up to date apps, such as video editors and the like. Advanced ones that is, something that brings back the glory days of Amiga in aspects.
Amiga used to be the go to machine for games, multimedia, and well pretty much anything, though boring office work could easily have been done on a cost effective PC at the time... of if they were smart they'd have stuck with the Atari 800XL for the office place in my rarely humble opinion.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:36 PM »
Quote from: Yasu;754105
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can they really claim they are going to do something if they don't have any means to do it? Wouldn't this be a breach of contract with Kickstarter?

all they're claiming is releasing the source. nothing more. ;)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:04 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;754107
all they're claiming is releasing the source. nothing more. ;)

-- eliyahu

Really poor choice of words then in their e-mail :mad:

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 10:41:54 PM »
Great, we dont even have a good webrowser or flash or any modern technology for NG systems, but we will have wings for 100k! yaay! *NOT*

You guys know you can just play it on your pc right?
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 10:51:10 PM »
If Cope-Com can give us an awesome remake of Battle Squadron on our NG miggies then I'm sure Cinenaware can do the same with Wings if they wanted to.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:05:58 AM »
Wings original is still good. Remakes end up getting ruined more often than not.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 04:15:41 AM »
Although. Just getting a little bit of interest in the platform would help. The more software, the more likely someone is to do another software port.

btw. Is it for OS4 or AROS?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:04:29 AM by ElPolloDiabl »
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »
Quote from: magnetic;754109
Great, we dont even have a good webrowser or flash or any modern technology for NG systems

...and the OS4 systems that has been sold for the last couple of years doesn't even have 3D drivers, so maybe start there instead? Learning to walk before you run? And *then* it would of course help to bring Unity3D to the platform as well. And *then* it would of course help if some developers actually took the challenge of actually doing the work? And *then* it would be relevant to start raising $100.000 for it to be possible? But before that, maybe you should consider if this is really that well spent money? I mean, it's a lot of money, and we are talking about a more or less stupid *game* here that probably won't even fit the majority's taste.

Wouldn't perhaps this be more useful for OS4?

http://www.power2people.org/projects/odyssey/ :D

And that bounty is already (almost) half way there...

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:58:09 AM »
@tmhgm.

All valid points.
The bounty you use as a comparator has not yet reached halfway and is stalled with no signs of growth.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »
Quote from: ddniUK;754121
The bounty you use as a comparator has not yet reached halfway

Has even a full month passed? Hmm, no it hasn't...

and is stalled

:confused:

Really? Or perhaps that's a wish rather than an observation?

with no signs of growth.

:confused:

Given the fact that this is a tiny community of hobbyists, I think the growth this far has been massive. I don't think anyone expected anything else than a couple of months to fill that bounty, and the first one is just about to end. If you think this is slow, then it's only because some people are more willing to pay $3,500 for HW but $0 or only a couple of bucks towards a real browser that will make that machine actually useable for web stuff. I already have Odyssey myself, but I have actually paid a lot more money than most OS4 users to opening up the Odyssey sources for them to use. That's a bit funny.

And there is indeed some strange attitude towards this bounty coming from some prominent OS4 people on various forums, both here and elsewhere, probably just because this is coming from Fab and not the Friedens. It seems that paying a lot more money for a pretty lousy weekend port of an Open Source Linux program and turning that into a *closed source* app, locked into just *one* NG system is preferred, compared to paying less for a genuine and native Amiga application and opening up its sources to *all* NG options.

But I'm hopeful. Only a month have passed, nothing has stalled, and the growth this far has been over my expectations.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)