Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: (RFD) Olive branches and reuniting the community? (MorphOS / Amiga)  (Read 8159 times)

Description:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
I realize the inherent dangers involved, but since I lack the ability to restrain myself, I have been thinking....

Everyone here knows my hesitation in getting involved with projects surrounding a certain couple in (or around) this community.  There's no sense in rehashing that hatred, as it's well documented as are the reasons for it.

That being said, I begin to worry if my personal issues regarding those two aren't -- in a way -- doing harm to the Amiga community (what remains of it anyway)..

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, that's ok, I'm about to 'splain...

What I am considering is creating a set of forums, links, and, gallery directories for MorphOS users, in the hopes of bringing them back to the ORG, and hopefully resolving some of the division that I'm sure I've helped to cause over the years.

I realize that this is an "Amiga" site.  I am *not* talking about changing that, but I beg you to remember that every member of the MorphOS community was once a very vibrant Amiga user who was run off by the inaction of Amiga Inc and the availability of a product "in their hands" that promised to do what Amiga Inc never did.

------------------
THAT BEING SAID
-- I know this is a very sensitive subject, and I know people are going to be prone to bring up the "red versus blue" crap.  I am asking politely for us to have a discussion, but will not tolerate that crap being brought up in this thread.
------------------

We're all adults, and should be able to discuss our differences without venom and immaturity.  The Amiga (as a generality) is a hobby and doesn't warrant such childishness.

I'm not going to do anything without a general consensus on the site, but need to find a way to solicit that guidance from you without re-igniting the silly infighting.

What say ye?

Wayne
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:06:22 PM by Wayne »
//* Signature Free *//

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
Re: (RFD) Olive branches and reuniting the community? (MorphOS / Amiga)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »
well, morphos might not have an Amiga name on it, but it looks, smells and feels like amigaos to me. It is relevent and interesting to read about (sometimes), as are AROS and OS4 etc :)

Offline ferrellsl

• DavidseltyAJ
    • Show only replies by ferrellsl
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
I was "out" of the Amiga community during the years of conflict between the Amiga and MorphOS camps.  Recently,(2007) I dug up my A1200 from storage and also purchased a PegII.  So, having missed all the years of the contention, I actually feel like an outsider looking in at the conflict.  And as an outsider, I'm still wondering what all the fuss has been about.  For those who may or may not have been shafted by Genesi, Thendic, bPlan, et. al., I understand your hard feelings.  But from a user of both Amigas and MorphOS systems, I'm at a loss as to why so many casual users, hobbyists and programmers want to fight.  I love my Amigas and I love my PegII.  I have OS4.1 and MorphOS 2.2 on my PegII.  I have OS 3.9 on my A1200.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's always room for diversity.  The fact that there is  alternative hardware and software out there to run OS4/Morphos only serves to strengthen the Amiga community (I include the MorphOS community in there).  From my perspective, the disagreements appear to be strictly subjective in nature since OS 3.9, OS4.1, MorphOS, and AROS share much of the same codebase.  Whether or not one person prefers Ambient over Workbench is meaningless.  It's a personal preference and we should all be thankful that we have a CHOICE!!!

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
MOS, Aros, Amiga, Classic, they're all part of the same family.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I didn't realise this site didn't cater for MorphOS.

I'm happy for MOS to have forums etc. here.

I always thought of Morphzone serving the morphos community, Amigaworld.net serving the OS4.x community, and Amiga.org serving everyone anyway.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
Look at that, 16 to 0 on the votes. Looks like we have some MOS love around here. Cool.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:13:26 PM »
In principle, reuniting the community is a fantastic idea. But is creating a separate MorphOS-related section the best way to go about that? I just wonder if it would end up being underused and having to be folded back into another forum (as with the recent combination of the Desktop Video and Audio forums).

I ask because I already use the existing forums for occasional MorphOS-related discussions, an arrangement that seems to have worked out fine.

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;509166
In principle, reuniting the community is a fantastic idea. But is creating a separate MorphOS-related section the best way to go about that? I just wonder if it would end up being underused and having to be folded back into another forum (as with the recent combination of the Desktop Video and Audio forums).

I ask because I already use the existing forums for occasional MorphOS-related discussions, an arrangement that seems to have worked out fine.
Hi Matt,

To be honest, I can't answer your questions without knowing how other people would react.  Last thing I want to do is try and mix oil and water (proverbially speaking).

What I was thinking was setting up different sections, like I did with the news forums.  Example;

• Forums
    • Operating Systems Discussion
      • AmigaOS
        • Applications
        • Development
        • Support
        • etcetera

• AROS
        • Applications
        • Development
        • Support
        • etcetera

• MorphOS
        • Applications
        • Development
        • Support
        • etcetera

• Other Operating Systems

Like I said, this might be a colossal pot stirring for no soup, but it's a thought, and an offer *IF* people think they'd use them.

Wayne
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Nickman

• Show only replies by Nickman
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
Never liked the "split" of the comunity in the first place... and never understod it either. IMHO MOS/AROS/AOS/OS4/UAE are all amiga related and will fit in here.  

MOS was THE successor for Classic AOS for a long time before OS4 came into the picture. There is a reason lots of great Amiga gurus/developers jumped on MOS in the begining.

Rest is what you say... history :)
----
Amiga1200T
Mediator/Voodoo3 3000/100mbit NIC/SB128
Blizzppc 603e 210Mhz 040 25Mhz, 192 mb ram,Bvision
SCSI Ultra320 74GB HD,4x Burner,MO drive.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 04:37:58 PM »
I don't think there is any harm in having a section for MorphOS.  Many of us use it anyway and MorphOS dev's already post on this site.  I think it's a good idea.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 04:58:10 PM »
Quote from: xeron;509164
To be perfectly honest, I didn't realise this site didn't cater for MorphOS.

I'm happy for MOS to have forums etc. here.

I always thought of Morphzone serving the morphos community, Amigaworld.net serving the OS4.x community, and Amiga.org serving everyone anyway.

Agreed. TBH, I always thought the Red vBlue stuff was completely pointless and silly anyway.

I would hope that pretty much everybody that took a side originally is happy enough with it by now not to feel the need to bash the opposite side.
int p; // A

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 05:17:16 PM »
I have always seen amiga.org as an Amiga neutral site anyway.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »
"Other Operating Systems" should be "Emulators" IMO.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »
Quote from: Wayne;509172

Like I said, this might be a colossal pot stirring for no soup

Good metaphor.

My suggestion would be to keep the organization as it is, but make it clear that all branches of the Amiga family are welcome therein. I like to think that we've gotten to the point where someone uninterested in MorphOS or AROS would simply skip such threads in the same way a PPage user might skip a thread on PageStream, or vice versa.

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 05:49:13 PM »
The community is too small to have fragments keep fighting each other.

Plus we are all (hopefully) over all that silly Red v Blue nonsense. It didn't get anyone anywhere.

If this community is to survive we have to put all that behind us.

Great initiative Wayne and I hope it is one that is successful. :)