Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...  (Read 13220 times)

Description:

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
Re: It's 20 years on, and Windows still doesn't have...
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
@roj, First off, I find it ironic that you accuse me of bad form. You replied to a comment I made with a 'TL;DR', then only commented on the very last and least important line of my post. Thats just plain rude.

Anyway, thanks for your lengthy explanation of the purpose of this thread. I wasnt intending to make anyone look foolish. Just wanted to point out that comparing Windows to AmigaOS makes no sense. And Im glad you agree with me there.

Last, I dont expect many people on an Amiga forum to agree with me when I write positive things about Windows or IE9. Its just that some people seem to have a very biased, even short-sighted opinion on anything Microsoft-related. Thats why I made my post.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Quote from: gazgod;701176
NOBODY CARES!!!

I do. Thanks for calling me "nobody". How very polite.

Offline RojTopic starter

• Show only replies by Roj
    • http://amiga.org/modules/mylinks/visit.php?lid=247
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;701181
@roj, First off, I find it ironic that you accuse me of bad form. You replied to a comment I made with a 'TL;DR', then only commented on the very last and least important line of my post. Thats just plain rude.

Anyway, thanks for your lengthy explanation of the purpose of this thread. I wasnt intending to make anyone look foolish. Just wanted to point out that comparing Windows to AmigaOS makes no sense. And Im glad you agree with me there.

Last, I dont expect many people on an Amiga forum to agree with me when I write positive things about Windows or IE9. Its just that some people seem to have a very biased, even short-sighted opinion on anything Microsoft-related. Thats why I made my post.

...and that's why I don't like picking posts apart. Things get changed and twisted too easily.

You mean it's a coincidence, not an irony. ;)

I took your post to mean "Since the Amiga can't play back video, and doesn't have the speed of modern PCs, we should simply dismiss everything about the Amiga; throw the baby out with the bath water, as it were.

I didn't mean anything personal with the TL;DR header. It was just my way of shortening my summary. And I didn't just refer to the last line. I read and commented on every line in your post. You referenced speed twice in the post, not just at the end.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:06:21 PM by Roj »
I sold my Amiga for a small fortune, but a part of my soul went with it.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »
What we are seeing is the decline of the desktop computer as a "personal computer." Businesses will use desktops, gamers, professional programmers, etc will use desktops, but your casual user is drifting away from desktops.  Tablets and smart phones along with smart TVs are the future for the hoi polloi.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
You know what really pees me off about Windows? The auto tags that show up when you roll the mouse pointer over things. Everything from the clock to every other possible object currently on the screen irrelevant of what you are doing. It absolutely drives me mental! Right now my pointer is randomly sitting on a smiley and a tag has risen to tell me the object my pointer is sitting on is a smiley - well, derr...  :mad:

Anyone know of a way to turn it off?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »
@danwood

You can drag onto Wordpad's toolbar, but I agree it's inconsistent. Wordpad behaves like a 90's OLE demonstration. (Wordpad in Windows 7 is quite nice, though.)

You can often drag objects into text boxes and get a text representation, but that's also up to the developer. Windows is flexible, and its predominantly open API leads to wide variation in features and little adherence to UI guidelines.

Re: common dialogs (Open, Save As, etc.), they're usually just Explorer views, and apart from the special file selection behavior, they behave just like any other Explorer view.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
@Kesa

You could address the root cause of those accessibility features and cure the blind. Wait....

Somewhere in the back of mind there's a hint of a memory re: disabling tooltips globally, but it would only apply to applications that adhere to standards. Most do not.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »
Different operating system, different target audience, and  different issues.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
Quote from: persia;701186
What we are seeing is the decline of the desktop computer as a "personal computer." Businesses will use desktops, gamers, professional programmers, etc will use desktops, but your casual user is drifting away from desktops.  Tablets and smart phones along with smart TVs are the future for the hoi polloi.
Keep saying that, maybe you can make it come true by wishing hard enough.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline tone007

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
Windows is pretty great, I've used daily every version starting with Win3.1 back in the mid-90s.  For the most part, I've had no complaints about new versions (except for the bloat of Vista.)

(Haven't tried Win8 yet, though, waiting for the $40 upgrade deal to come out.)
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 09:58:15 PM »
Quote from: tone007;701204
Windows is pretty great, I've used daily every version starting with Win3.1 back in the mid-90s.
Really?
I was using Windows before 3.1 (started with Windows 286), and while it was fun to play with, I wouldn't use the word great..  And I did a LOT of work with 3.1. ( and 3.11 - WFW networking was fun...)

At least not until possibly 98 2nd Edition..  That was really good...
(I can see people thinking 95 was great, but I didn't think it was there yet..)

Yeah, 2k was very stable, but there was too much it couldn't do for my tastes..

I'd class XP as a really great OS tho...  Once they got past the initial compatibility issues (got the vendors to update their drivers.. ) that is..

That said, I think Workbench 2.0 was pretty far ahead of the competition from MS...

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »
I remember the exciting days of trying to play a game, and the computer insisting that the 16 meg's of RAM in your machine were totally not enough to run a game requiring 2 meg's to work.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »
Quote from: runequester;701225
insisting that the 16 meg's of RAM in your machine were totally not enough to run a game requiring 2 meg's to work.
Was that EMS or XMS?  ;-)

desiv
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:08:43 AM by desiv »
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline OldB0y

• Show only replies by OldB0y
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 11:04:31 PM »
.......Soul......;-)
Amigas owned:
1) A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard PPC 603+040 128Mb, BVision
2) A1200 Desktop with an ugly looking hole hacked out of the trap door cover to accommodate a DCE built Blizzard 1260 with 64Mb (angled SIMM slot).
not in use:
3) A4000/040 - has an Emplant card installed.  Sadly no video output:-( current location: loft
4) A1000 - owned it since about 1988, current location: loft (AFAIK it still works though)
Sundry bits:
Blizzard 12

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
Quote from: desiv;701226
was that emms or xmms?  ;-)

desiv

speak not the names that must not be spoken

Offline KimmoK

• Show only replies by KimmoK
« Reply #59 from previous page: July 26, 2012, 08:09:52 AM »
Quote from: rvo_nl;701160
But do you all realise its not even possible to play back any modern video on an Amiga

What is modern video?
In most households I believes videos are DVDs. But surely you mean blue ray?

Watching videos is not any core use of a desktop computer, but I think Amigas can play almost all videos in our household (except some few HD video files).

To me windows is a very poor platform to run SW on. But it has most of the needed SW, that's why also I have to use it at work, I never use it at home any more (unless I set up some emulator to PLAY with).

I think there are very few (perhaps none?) things where Amigas OS (or MOS) limits Amigas usability. It's the lack of SW that is the most usual problem, then the lack of MIPS.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:15:55 AM by KimmoK »
- KimmoK
// Windows will never catch us now.
// The multicolor AmigaFUTURE IS NOW !! :crazy: