Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which classic Amiga games do you want to see remade on the A1  (Read 6770 times)

Description:

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
Re: Which classic Amiga games do you want to see remade on the A1
« Reply #44 from previous page: December 14, 2002, 08:28:57 PM »
But why would anyone change to Amiga Compatible computers if the games available are only ports from the platform that they already have ?

No ...

Something original .. A new way to play games...

Its all about gameplay..

That why I mentioned the interlinked gaming concept

Hey ...I.G.C.    Kewl sounding Acronym  :-D   *uck, I'm a genius   :-o
The Reluctant Pom

Offline KingTuttTopic starter

• Show only replies by KingTutt
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2002, 03:53:27 AM »
I agree with The_Editor, we need our own unique style, not rehashed PC has-beens. Pu-leeze, give the Amiga scene a little more credit. We have the originality, right?

And besides the A1 needs its own identity. Seeing it as a PC-wannabe, just kills the whole purpose of relaunching itself into the computer scene, it would never establish any credibility for itself this way amongst new and old gamers.

I would rather prefer a few dozen well written games to the level of Cinemaware's It Came from the Desert or Wings for the A1 platform and know they were labors of Love (written by true Amigans) with enough orginality to keep them distinct and seperate from the mainstream crapola, than an endless supply of Quake clone cookie cutter titles with no spirit whatsoever.

Well thats my $0.02... so who else agrees with me? Should A1 focus on new and exciting products or rehashed PC ports from 2 or 3 years ago?
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2002, 12:24:17 PM »
> Should A1 focus on new and exciting products or rehashed PC ports from 2 or 3 years ago?

Both, I think.

Kay

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2002, 05:15:33 PM »
UFO: Enemy Unknown

(without memory leaks)

:-)

Offline Kay

• Show only replies by Kay
    • http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~kayare
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2002, 10:44:23 PM »
Oh, here's one I didn't think of earlier: Uropa². This type of game is great fun, and there are far to few examples of it. The only similar games I know of is D\Generation and the Crusader series on the PC. I know there was a team working on a game some time ago, but I haven't heard anything about it lately...

It would be great if someone would make a game like this for the AmigaOne. Heck, even porting the Crusader series would be pretty nice. :-)

Kay

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2002, 12:25:13 AM »
by mikeymike on 2002/12/15 11:15:33

UFO: Enemy Unknown

Oh yeah!!!  One of my UFO AGA disks died and I looked everywhere for an ADF file to recreate my "diseased" disk with no avail (the ECS versions are posted everywhere).  Then I was lucky enough to come across a PC CD ROM containing UFO:  EU, UFO: TFTD and UFO: A for $10!!!  I still play the first 2 at work on a regular basis and the least said about the third "offering" the better (damn, it sucks like a priest at choir practice).  One problem with the PC disk is that the first one has a habbit of crashing every so often when it tries to display the mission statistics screen after the last alien is killed, so you have to save the game on a regular basis (I've tested this on 5 different PC's).

Anyway, the first 2 UFO games are prime examples of classic games that only require a little spit-n-polish to bring them up to date... and I don't mean making them 3D shooters.

The success of games like Diablo 2 and Civilization 3 proove that you don't need to write a 3D virtual shooter in order to sell software.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Marky_D_Sahd

• Show only replies by Marky_D_Sahd
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2002, 12:48:10 AM »
Hey, Ed, how 'bout a little of BOTH??  I would LOVE to have Riven, the Cinemaware catalogue, SimsBoing, and new stuff.  (Notice, I don't want much)  Question is, what can we get first?  And how much?  

Hey, EYETECH-- How do those advance sales look?  Do we have a base to stand on?????
Now featuring new and improved G4 AmigaOne, with Mozilla!

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2002, 12:52:10 AM »
I'm not entirely familiar with the UFO series. Can someone post the order and the premise behind each title, a little brief note on the gameplay would be nice too.

I don't know if this is a misconception of mine. But I always thought some game called XCOM was also a series that closely resembled the UFO series. Of course I know nothing of either series or if they aren't indeed one in the same. Can someone enlighten me on the frachise and which platform they were released on at what years etc (and whether they made it to Amiga classic or AGA, and if they were better than their PC counterpart). Thanks in advance.
If I said I was the best you would think I am boasting. But if I said I was not, then you KNOW I am lying! ~Bruce Lee.

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2002, 05:55:48 AM »
You named my favorite game first in your post. I couldn't get enough of "It Came From The Desert".

It took a while for me to be able to get through the whole thing since I was moving and such, but I loved the rich sound and graphics that were offered to carry the story while I was playing.

It was also a very nice way to vent my anger at the REAL ANTS that decided to move into my house a week after I started renting a place in the Californian High Desert.

I really hope that it's one that is found on the next generation of Amiga.

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2002, 06:02:58 AM »
I of course wanna see the following:

Arkanoid
Shadow of the Beast
Marble Madness
Deluxe Paint
Deluxe Music
Dungeon Master
Lemmings
======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2002, 06:04:29 AM »
And how could I forget:

The Faery Tale Adventure
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2002, 06:12:59 PM »

KingTutt wrote:
I'm not entirely familiar with the UFO series. Can someone post the order and the premise behind each title,

XCOM and UFO - Enemy unknown are the same game.  For some reason it was referred to as XCOM in the USA and UFO-EU in Europe.

If I remember right, the PC version and the Amiga AGA version came out about the same time.  The games are virtually identical except that the PC version adds a "darkness" effect so that in a low-light mission the terrain is brighter around your troops'  field of vision allowing aliens to hide in the shadows.  However, the sound on the Amiga version is better.

Much later, Microprose managed to hack down the game enough so that it would run on an ECS Amiga, but it looks UGLY!!!

The sequal, UFO-Terror from the Deep, never made it to the Amiga, but sold very well on the PC.  The gameplay is very similar and the graphics improved.

Both XCOM and UFO-TFTD were MS DOS games, but the third game, XCOM-Apocalypse came out for Winzdoze.  Unfortunately, XCOM-A looks and feels completely different the first 2 games and I've never been able to "get into it".

There is a fourth (and final?) game called XCOM-Interceptor which I believe is a 3D space combat game where you get to take the fight to the Aliens.  I've never played it so I can't really comment on it.

Hasbro Interactive have release a compilation CD for the PC containing the first three games called "X-COM Collector's Edition" with the first 2 games now "supposedly" updated to run on Windoze.  I say "supposedly" because I've tested the first game on 5 different PC's (eMachines, HP x 2, Compaq, Dell) running Win98 and ME, with differnt graphics cards and they are all prone to random crashing when the game attempts to change screen modes.  No update/patch is available on the Hasbro website.  Your only option is to keep saving the game so you don't have to backtrack too far into the game when it goes down.

I hope this helps :-)
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2002, 11:06:38 PM »
Man!, this sounds like the kind of series that needs to be remade for the A1, with updated 2D gfx. I would sure play it. Sounds like a cool premise too.

Thanks Darrin. Maybe I'll go get the AGA version now.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2002, 09:46:59 PM »
 Well we had the original Castlevania (a crappy version of it), so why not continue the series with White Night Concerto, or Harmoney Of Dissonence? Wait, better yet! The long lost Castlevania for the Dreamcast, or Robdo Of Blood which only made it to TurboCD in Japan!! :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2002, 10:14:25 PM »
Hate to ruin everything, but Lemmings ain't gonna happen as they Psygnosis was sold to sony waaay back in 1993.

Some Cinemaware games would be excellent, ah Rocket Ranger and It Came From The Desert!

Some FPS's from PC would be good ports, and perhaps we could have our own FPS in the mould of Genetic Species, but updated with 128-bit graphics?
Another good conversion would be the updated version of Lotus Turbo, which was recently released on PS2.

Ohhh...and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear!

THE SIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Offline JoannaK

• Show only replies by JoannaK
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2002, 12:09:53 AM »
What I would like to see is:

Stunt car racer . With good gfx + multiplayer
M.U.L.E. ... Real good port, no hacks.. (still love original C64 version)
Marble maddness
Sentinel

Hm.,.. Actually I do have much longer list, but those  would be good start :)