Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS3.9 and picasso  (Read 1630 times)

Description:

Offline ceciliaTopic starter

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
OS3.9 and picasso
« on: May 08, 2003, 04:58:08 PM »
I've been trying to install OS3.9 on my laptop. using the newest WinUAE (6R?, whatever).

i forget where i found it but there is an english version of instructions for doing this. i tried to follow them but while the workbench shows the CD (i can open the icon and see the files), the install program does  not.

using various means (including coping some of the files from linux - which i also have installed on the laptop), i was able to get the files from the CD onto one of those harddrive directories the emulation sees. I think. some of this stuff is weird magic to me   :-D

anyway, while I can boot into an amiga 3.9 workbench, i don't have picasso installed. when i try to install the boingball (with the CD in the drive like you are supossed to) it doesn't see that.

i want OS3.9, gfx support and a nice , beautiful wb just like i had on my amiga. I don't want to play games. don't need any of that. I need something like I had so i can use IFX.

any ideas?

somewhere (amiga forever?) i read that the name of the cd had to be placed in quotes: "AmigaOS3.9" in the harddrive section of the emulation window. i read this after i had already mucked about. should i try this now?
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Duncan

• Show only replies by Duncan
Re: OS3.9 and picasso
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 11:47:04 PM »
You can use the CD directly from a normal mountlist without having to define it in the harddisk section.

Firstly, enable UAE scsi.device in the Misc tab of UAE prefs.

Then, make sure you have the relevant dosdriver (CD0) from CacheCDFS supplied with 3.9. You need to edit this to use uaescsi.device. Mine is Unit 0 but you can try other values if this doesn`t work.

You may also need to perform a 'diskchange cd0' to make workbench see the disk.

Hope this helps,
Duncan.

Offline StevenJGore

• Show only replies by StevenJGore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 10:03:51 AM »
Coincidentally, I just installed OS3.9 with full Picasso96 support with WinUAE 0.8.22R6 last night. This is how I did it...

1. I put an ADF of Workbench 3.1 in DF0 and mapped the AmigaOS3.9 CD as a hard drive in DH0.

2. When Workbench 3.1 booted, I created an emergency boot disk (as an ADF file) from the AmigaOS3.9 CD (in DH0).

3. I then booted from the ADF emergency boot disk, with hard drives (actually PC directories) mapped to DH0, DH1, and DH2. I mapped the AmigaOS3.9 CD as DH3 this time.

4. I then installed OS3.9 from DH3 onto DH0.

5. When asked something like "Do you want to install CD-ROM drivers and drivers for your graphics card?" I clicked NO, even though I did have a gfx card (well, a uae gfx card anyway!). CD-ROM drivers are provided through WinUAE's emulation and do not need to be installed. Similarly, you should not install the TCP/ICP stack either, since this is provided through WinUAE's emulation too.

6. When OS3.9 finished installing, I rebooted into the fresh install of OS3.9 and installed Picasso96 in the usual way.

Everything works perfectly!

I have a 1024x768 32-bit 16million colour workbench!

To use a CD, just load WinUAE with "Add PC drives at startup" enabled on the hard disk tab, and the CD already in your PC's drive.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

• Amiga Snob
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 04:55:20 PM »
thanks to both of you :-D
i actually got picasso working by doing a manual install and getting the UAEgfx file from the yahoo mailing list on the is topic. it works!

my problem is with the CacheCDFS working correctly. i think getting the right info into the "dosdriver (CD0)" is the trick. I have no idea what the "unit" number is, but I'll start with 0 and go down the list!

as i my OS3.1 floppies are 3000 miles away on the other coast i won't be doing any fancy stuff with them  :-o
but it's good to know how to do it - just in case!

my Dopus does work (before i left I lha-ed my entire Dopus dir) and copied that right into this emulation. it does work - except i have all sorts of links to my old HD. annoying, but i'll change those. eventually!

anything special i need to know about Dopus working on WinUAE? this is also the newest Dopus magellan, btw. with the patch that works with OS3.9 and all that. worked great on my 040 2000.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 02:17:31 PM »
Why do people tend to make easy things so complicated ?

Try this: http://home.t-online.de/home/thomas-rapp/os39uae.html

You don't need 3.1 to install 3.9.

Picasso96 is on the 3.9 CD (in the Contribution drawer). You just need to install it. UAEgfx of course is contained. Even if not, it comes with WinUAE, too.

And remember to register P96. It is shareware !

Bye,
Thomas

• Amiga Snob
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 09:15:26 PM »
You DA Man!

I think the picasso software is working ok - but i'll check again. and will try IDEfix97.lha as soon as i go offline.

thanks again - and even if the other explaination was "complicated", i still appreciate any advice. (i'll just try yours first :-D )

no matter what the nay-sayers like to complain about, the amiga community is still full of nice, cool folks. :-D
IFX CD Tutorial