Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Only 3 more days  (Read 9709 times)

Description:

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
Re: Only 3 more days
« Reply #104 from previous page: November 13, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
I am surprised no one else has picked up on this but doesn't it look familiar?

Maybe a little like this

Just saying :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:25:58 PM by CritAnime »

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
Quote from: persia;667687
Linux's big fail is that it has never appealed to non-Geeks.  When there was a move to Linux in net books there were numerous articles about people confused and discouraged by Linux.  There was even an article about someone wanting to drop out of tertiary education in the US because she got Linux instead of MS Windows.
Hell, I'm a geek myself, and I still can't get into it (just wrote a couple of blog entries on the subject.) So much of the software has such poor UI...and that includes some major, big-name programs like the GIMP. I can put up with learning a few quirks of an unfamiliar system, but I'm not going to keep wasting my time messing around trying to work with software that's really just badly designed.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
Is it possible the source is MacBuntu instead of Mint?  That sure looks like MacBuntu...

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:16:42 PM by persia »
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
Quote from: persia;667694
Is it possible the source is MacBuntu instead of Mint?  That sure looks like MacBuntu...

Thats awesome. If you didn't notice the icon issues you would almost swear thats OSX :roflmao:

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »
Quote from: persia;667687
Seems to be mint with a bunch of software installed.  Not a big fan of gnome myself, I prefer KDE, and I prefer to chose my own software, but who knows with a bit of work it could be a good way to introduce folks to Linux.  

Linux's big fail is that it has never appealed to non-Geeks.  When there was a move to Linux in net books there were numerous articles about people confused and discouraged by Linux.  There was even an article about someone wanting to drop out of tertiary education in the US because she got Linux instead of MS Windows.  

Dell stated in response to the MS campaign that they saw the same percentage of returns on netbooks whether they ran linux or windows.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2011, 06:13:36 PM »
Okay, to clarify some things, I know others have said things about it running Ubuntu or Mint.  Well, actually being a Linux Guru myself I can pretty much instantly tell (especially on a Debian based distribution) what the core 'base' is.

The core base is Mint.  I'm not sure if Mint also has all the Ubuntu repositories enabled, or they mirror from their own.  But the Commodore OS has both enabled (that can certainly cause issues!)

It has the Maverick Meerkat repositories (version 10.10, which means all of it is at least a year old).

There are also the medibuntu stuff (for googlemaps, win32 codecs, etc.  The things that aren't enabled by default in normal ubuntu due to not having US friendly distribution licenses.)

There is a 'deb http://www.commodoreusa.net/comodoreos stable/' replository.  I am guessing wallpapers, themes, etc in here.  They also added some Karmic repositories, the ones from getdeb, etc.  Along with a ton of different launchpad pages.  Those are for the newer versions of packages that haven't quite filtered down to the distribution release level.

From what I can tell (this is from the beta 6, I didn't see a non-beta ISO yet..) this is going to be one hell of a bitch to maintain stability on.

Again, this is coming from someone who was using Linux long before it was remotely usable by the general public (some may argue it still isn't).  

The only really 'cool' thing I've seen so far on this, is the terminal is a C64 flashback.  The theme is WAY too blue!  I think they would have been better off using this; http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Amiga+Bluetabs?content=119444

I would have thought they would tweak amiwm, or something.  At least make the interface more 'amiga-like' than this very smurfy Gnome theme.

At least they included Virtualbox.  But I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of including both UAE and E-UAE (but not PUAE) on the liveCD.  

They also have an option to install Amiga Forever.  You click on it and it says "The Amiga Forever package by Cloanto is a Windows product."  WTF?  

I figure I'll play around with it on a kvm virtual machine, laugh a bit, then make a Debian based one :D.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline CritAnime

« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
That sounds like a lot of stuff to keep up with. It's a wonder why it hasn't imploded yet.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;667712
I would have thought they would tweak amiwm, or something.  At least make the interface more 'amiga-like' than this very smurfy Gnome theme.
Ha ha, no. Tweaking amiwm would be work.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
Quote from: slaapliedje;667712
They also have an option to install Amiga Forever.  You click on it and it says "The Amiga Forever package by Cloanto is a Windows product."  WTF?  
Somebody mentioned the same thing on AW (that they offer to install Amiga Forever), can you clarify what exactly that includes? Apparently, the ROMs are not included, I'm just wondering if they're only abusing Cloanto's registered trademark or also distributing parts of the Amiga Forever distribution.

(the above assumes that they do not really own a license from Cloanto. Yes, I'm being harsh, let's just say I have a hunch).

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2011, 08:04:35 PM »
Quote from: CritAnime;667690
I am surprised no one else has picked up on this but doesn't it look familiar?

Maybe a little like this

Just saying :rolleyes:

Gnome in general is becoming more "Mac like" with every new release, Gnome 3 in particular.  This is not a design of "Commodore OS", it's just the way Gnome with a dock (looks like Cairo Dock or Docky) installed looks.  Literally all they have done is change the wallpaper and tweak a dark blue theme.

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »
Quote from: persia;667694

[IMG]

No, it's Mint, you get the Mint logo on boot and the About section reveals it too, some installs also seem to have the Mint icon in the dock rather than the C=.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2011, 09:06:23 PM »
The blue theme gets old quick.  It's absolutely abhorrent on the eyes.  Tried it, blanked the disc already.

Tron OS gone sideways.  I got very little old school feel out of any of it and found it unpolished, but to be fair I'm not their target market.  But they did ship, so good on 'em.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2011, 03:09:05 AM »
Quote from: cgutjahr;667726
Somebody mentioned the same thing on AW (that they offer to install Amiga Forever), can you clarify what exactly that includes? Apparently, the ROMs are not included, I'm just wondering if they're only abusing Cloanto's registered trademark or also distributing parts of the Amiga Forever distribution.

(the above assumes that they do not really own a license from Cloanto. Yes, I'm being harsh, let's just say I have a hunch).

It asks you to put in the Amiga Forever CD.  I'm guessing it's asking for a newer version than what I have (2008) because it errors out on trying to copy a bunch of games over.  It does copy the roms from it.

Oh it's horrible, since I have it installed in a VM, almost all of the dialogs are too large for it to be even remotely usable on a lower resolution.

It also comes with NO additional themes.  It does have some cool (Commodore branded) wallpapers.  Maybe I will snag a few and put on my real A4000 :D.

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2011, 07:34:18 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;667714
Ha ha, no. Tweaking amiwm would be work.

Too bad, since a more polished amiwm would have been excellent.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
Quote from: runequester;667984
Too bad, since a more polished amiwm would have been excellent.
Wouldn't it just? It's beautifully minimalist. But that presumes that one actually cares about something other than fulfilling the ad-copy promises with the absolute minimum of effort.

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »
AmiWM is open source, someone that can actually code should pick it up and turn it into a good environment that would rule!  Always liked the look of it.

slaapliedje

I stand (somewhat) corrected, it is still kind of under development.  Latest newsflash.

Newsflash: amiwm0.21pl2 now out! (2010-07-20)

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~marcus/amiwm.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 10:28:30 PM by slaapliedje »