Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Netbooks Are Losing Steam?  (Read 8317 times)

Description:

Offline dreamcast270mhzTopic starter

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
Netbooks Are Losing Steam?
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:58:43 AM »
From the Article:
"Pricier, more powerful notebook computers are sucking some of the steam from netbooks, the low-priced darlings that helped fuel sales for the PC industry in the past two years.

Many consumers—searching for more computing power than the compact, portable netbooks can deliver—are opting to pay more for laptops with bigger displays and circuitry suited for jobs like manipulating photos and video, which is beyond the capability of most netbooks."

My views:

I see my 12" iBook G4 1.33 ghz as my netbook, containing a DVD drive (Which many netbooks lack) OS X (the best new OS for general use) 40Gb (More than most SSDs) is a better buy than what I see as a castrated laptop, an underpowered CPU and low RAM, no optical drive. I can buy an iBook refurbished w/ Tiger or Leopard for $200 , like my own or a new netbook, I'll choose the iBook, even if its an ARM because of the proven reliability of the one I have. Thats my opinion, and i find it pretty sound
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline yssing

• Show only replies by yssing
    • http://www.yssing.org
Re: Netbooks Are Losing Steam?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:19:26 AM »
Are we going to see a lot of irrelevant news on this site?

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 05:05:10 AM »
Quote from: dreamcast270mhz;555909
From the Article:
"Pricier, more powerful notebook computers are sucking some of the steam from netbooks, the low-priced darlings that helped fuel sales for the PC industry in the past two years.

Many consumers—searching for more computing power than the compact, portable netbooks can deliver—are opting to pay more for laptops with bigger displays and circuitry suited for jobs like manipulating photos and video, which is beyond the capability of most netbooks."

My views:

I see my 12" iBook G4 1.33 ghz as my netbook, containing a DVD drive (Which many netbooks lack) OS X (the best new OS for general use) 40Gb (More than most SSDs) is a better buy than what I see as a castrated laptop, an underpowered CPU and low RAM, no optical drive. I can buy an iBook refurbished w/ Tiger or Leopard for $200 , like my own or a new netbook, I'll choose the iBook, even if its an ARM because of the proven reliability of the one I have. Thats my opinion, and i find it pretty sound

I agree.  I have owned two netbooks - an Acer One and a Samsung NC10 - and ended up selling them both and used a 12 inch PowerBook as my 'Netbook' - cost about the same or slightly less than the netbooks but many times more versatile and capable, higher resale value, and running OSX.  I wouldn't buy another netbook.

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:28:02 AM »
Quote from: yssing;555922
Are we going to see a lot of irrelevant news on this site?

No, but hopefully we will not see a lot of irrelevant comments such as yours on this site. :)

The Dawg
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline koshman

• Show only replies by koshman
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:32:46 AM »
Actually the G4 1.33GHz isn't significantly faster than Atom (if at all) and I personally see the lack of an optical drive as an advantage (lower weight etc.). I wouldn't use it anyway when I have a Wifi home network and broadband. And the weight? That's not even comparable...
OTOH I agree with the fact that xBooks are better constructed and probably more reliable than a typical netbook and the bigger 4:3 higher res screen (if only marginally) is a plus.
- Radim

A600 - 68020/33, 10MB RAM, 3.1, 2GB SD

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:39:12 AM »
When I need to type up a quick document, and I don't want to fart around with a machine with an optical drive (or indeed worry about said machine's relatively frail mechanical HD), netbooks more than serve the purpose.  Typing is a tactile experience and the ipad keyboard just falls flat.

I'll keep my netbook, thanks.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline CaptChaos

• Show only replies by CaptChaos
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:52:19 AM »
This site really should just get around to changing its name to mac.org.

The amount of macsturbation threads really need to stop.

Offline koshman

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:53:15 AM »
:) +1
- Radim

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 06:24:52 AM »
Quote from: CaptChaos;555929
This site really should just get around to changing its name to mac.org.

The amount of macsturbation threads really need to stop.

Really? Cite sources please.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:48:55 AM by SysAdmin »

Offline mikrucio

• Party Mix \'87
    • Show only replies by mikrucio
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:09:21 AM »
why would ANYONE get a netbook when there are iphones!

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 07:39:45 AM »
I'm waiting for AMD to enter the market more. You get a budget cpu, but decent graphics. On a laptop I'm not really after a top of the line cpu, but I want good graphics.
Wait till AMD enter the netbook market and you'll be able to get yourself a nice mini rig.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline dreamcast270mhzTopic starter

• Show only replies by dreamcast270mhz
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »
Quote from: koshman;555927
Actually the G4 1.33GHz isn't significantly faster than Atom (if at all) and I personally see the lack of an optical drive as an advantage (lower weight etc.). I wouldn't use it anyway when I have a Wifi home network and broadband. And the weight? That's not even comparable...
OTOH I agree with the fact that xBooks are better constructed and probably more reliable than a typical netbook and the bigger 4:3 higher res screen (if only marginally) is a plus.

My mother's Aspire One is much weaker than my iBook, and I watch a lot of DVDs on the go, I don't have the time to handbrake them all onto a netbook with a squashed screen and cruddy sound. I just don't have a use for them, my iBook serves its purpose well

@yssing & captChaos:

I have a right called "freedom of press" if A.org doesn't have a problem with me posting it then it isn't irrelevant. And "Macsturbation" is both a vulgar and gross comment and I don't want your spam on this thread.
My machines:
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5ghz 1.25GB 10.5.8 & MOS 2.7
Mac Mini C2D 10.6.8 2GHz 3GB 250GB HDD
MacBook Retina 16GB 256GB SSD 10.8
iPad 2
Underground Gamer invites (a classic game site) PM

Need a part for a PC or Mac? PM me, I\'ll let you know if I come across it.

OS X trumps Windows on every level.

MorphOS, OS4 and Classic Amiga systems are the only ones who are real \'Amigas\', not that joke AROS or Amiga Forever.

Offline tone007

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
With the price of netbooks not dropping like the prices of laptops, it only makes sense there'd be more competition, for a couple hundred dollars more than the price of a netbook you can get a full-featured system.  Sony, who had generally been in the higher price range, have a few higher performance models under $1000 now.

Netbooks are still in the "buy it and throw it around" price range as far as computers go, I use mine as sort of a Swiss army computer, carry it around without a bag, triple booting OSes, and if it happens to get smashed I'll just grab one of the spares.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline koshman

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:12:13 PM »
@ dreamcast270mhz:
My mother's Aspire One is much weaker than my iBook, and I watch a lot of DVDs on the go, I don't have the time to handbrake them all onto a netbook with a squashed screen and cruddy sound. I just don't have a use for them, my iBook serves its purpose well

The CPU should be comparable, but I agree that OS requirements might be a problem - Vista etc. If you watch DVDs then I understand for you iBook is probably the better machine, BUT squashed screen? iBook is 4:3 and netbooks 16:9 and it's 12" vs 10.1", which means that you have practically the same viewing area for widescreen films (netbooks might even win here) and cruddy sound? I seriously doubt your iBook's speakers are hi-fi quality (I know they weren't on my G3 IceBook) so headphones are a must in both cases if you want decent sound.
Still, I get it that for you iBook is fine, but there are others who value portability above all else (e.g. me) and iBooks certainly cannot compete with netbooks in weight and size.
- Radim

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
I for one am getting fed up with people saying , this shouldn't be on here, that shouldn't be posted.

If everything on this site was related to Amiga it would be a pretty barren place.

Most people on here, apart from the people still living in the 80s, are interested in computing in General or even just like be here because they have been posting here for ten years and have a lot of friends here.

I would suggest that the people who dont like this would be better served by frequenting somewhere else
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"