Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello and a happy new year everyone at Amiga.org!  (Read 999 times)

Description:

Offline AndreasTopic starter

Hello and a happy new year everyone at Amiga.org!
« on: December 29, 2005, 03:44:28 PM »
A brief introduction to who I am.
My interest for computers, and especially games, began with the Commodore 128
sometime in the eighties, it was actually my neighbours computer.
They later bought an Amiga 500, and sometime after that I also got my very own A500.
But Commodore went bancrupt and my best friend switched to the Pc.
And so did I (around 1995-1996), because I wanted to be able to run
the same software as my friend did. But sometime in 2002, I think, I began to search the
net for anything Amiga related. I quickly realised that I had alot of catching up to do.
I discovered that a new Operating System was ”on it´s way” , called Os4.
I went to the shows in Gothenburg, Amigbg2003-2005 and also Os4 on tour,
and I have read most of the stuff at amigaworld.net even though I´m not visiting
as frequent as most of their members.

However there is one thing that I have not really got a good answer to.
Why is there such a big split in the Amiga community?
I am aware of the pegasos motherboard and MorphOs, though what is it´s purpose?

I will now go back in time and try to summarise the events and history the way I got it,
and I was hoping that you would be so kind to correct what I might have got wrong.

Genesi, a company that has developed ppc and graphics accelerators started the pegasos project because there was a demand for new Amiga hardware.
They also started to develop MorphOs because of the outdated Os 3.9.
Sometime later a company called ”Amiga Inc” acquired a license from Gateway to produce
a new operating system called ”AmigaOs 4.0”. But programming the new Os isn´t done by Amiga Inc themselves, for this they ”sort of” hire Hyperion Entertainment.
Then they release ”Club Amiga” online magazine with information on developement, such as that they have gotten hold of old documentaion of old assembly code wich they have translated to c++ and succesfully ”moved”, as they call it, from the 68k Processor to the PPC.
The old documentaion is, as far as I know, something the MorphOs developers doesn´t have,
and because of that one would assume that Os4 (based on old code) is the ”real” follow up of the classic AmigaOs.

What happens next is that Amigaworld.net anounces a weekly
Q&A session with Fleecy Moss (which I personaly just think was nothing more than hype). Sometime after that i´t seems like he and the rest of AmigaInc have abandoned Os4 in favour for some cell phone software (wich is popular now adays).
It would seem natural that this would be a good time to team up with the MorphOs developers. I´t would actually have been logical to team up with them from the very beginning but that obviously didn´t happen.
From what I have heard, some people from the Os4 team don´t get along very well with some of the morphOs (or is it Genesi) developers.

I was hoping that you, people at amiga.org would help me to fill in the gaps in this story.
I´t would be great to get some information of Pegesos and MorphOs, the team behind
and the puspose of the project. Rumors say that Genesi and the Pegasos Community would like to run Os4 on the Pegasos mainboard because it is a more solid Operating System.
It feels like Genesi has been focusing more on the hardware than AmigaInc/Eyetech,
even though the Pegasos motherboard is pretty outdated compared to modern Pc and Macintosh specs, it´s obviously the best around to run anything Amiga on.

I´ts really a shame that what´s left of the active Amiga users and the Amiga community
can not keep together but has to walk separate ways,
Os4, MorphOs and AROS.

Regards
Andreas