Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SFS is read-only under OS4 Classic  (Read 2968 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

SFS is read-only under OS4 Classic
« on: September 12, 2019, 07:19:54 PM »
Here's a weird one:

I booted up my OS4.1FE partition on my 4000T to discover that all of my SFS partitions (the drive has around 7 SFS partitions and 1 FFS Intl) were set to read-only, including the OS4 partition itself. Admittedly, it's been a while since I booted OS4 on this machine but I'm pretty sure SFS was operating normally the last time I did. I don't think I've changed anything in hardware or software since then. SFS 1.279 (68K) is in the RDB. The partitions all work correctly (read/write) when I boot into OS3.9. The only way I was able to get the OS4 partition usable from OS4 again was to reformat it as FFS DOS\07 and reinstall.

Any ideas as to what might have happened?

Re: SFS is read-only under OS4 Classic
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 05:18:11 AM »
*Bump*

Anyone?

Offline walkero

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 08:57:06 AM »
Since the release of AmigaOS 4.1 FE SFS was set to read only, as it is not supported from AmigaOS 4 any more. I never tried to see if it would work by using the filesystem from AmigaOS 4.1 or older.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
Since the release of AmigaOS 4.1 FE SFS was set to read only, as it is not supported from AmigaOS 4 any more.

That's true for JXFS, not SFS. SFS should work just fine.
https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/UserDoc:AmigaOS_File_Systems

Offline walkero

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »
@Thomas
Oh my god. You are right. It seems I am getting old and started forgetting. Sorry for that.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »
Here's a weird one:

I booted up my OS4.1FE partition on my 4000T to discover that all of my SFS partitions (the drive has around 7 SFS partitions and 1 FFS Intl) were set to read-only, including the OS4 partition itself. Admittedly, it's been a while since I booted OS4 on this machine but I'm pretty sure SFS was operating normally the last time I did. I don't think I've changed anything in hardware or software since then. SFS 1.279 (68K) is in the RDB. The partitions all work correctly (read/write) when I boot into OS3.9. The only way I was able to get the OS4 partition usable from OS4 again was to reformat it as FFS DOS\07 and reinstall.

Any ideas as to what might have happened?

If it worked under OS3.9 then perhaps your problem was OS4 and the re-install fixed that. After re-installing OS4 with FFS could you then read the remaining SFS partitions?

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 12:42:32 AM »
If it worked under OS3.9 then perhaps your problem was OS4 and the re-install fixed that. After re-installing OS4 with FFS could you then read the remaining SFS partitions?

Nope. The only fully usable partitions under OS4 continue to be the OS4 DOS\07 partition and a DOS\03 partition. Reinstall made no difference. :\

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
Did you allready wrote something about it on the Hyperion support forum ?
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

Offline smf

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
It will not cure the problem but i'm curious if you can unlock your partitions with the "lock" command?
if they can be made unlocked with the lock command i guess theres something in your startup that locks them.

Offline paul1981

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »

Nope. The only fully usable partitions under OS4 continue to be the OS4 DOS\07 partition and a DOS\03 partition. Reinstall made no difference. :\

How about try loading an older SFS version onto the RDB?

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 09:36:28 PM »
@ Bennymee

I'm not a member there, hence why I'm raising the question with the fine folks here :)

@ smf

Lock command was the first thing I tried. No luck :(

@ paul1981

I reverted to 1.277 with the same result, but I'm not sure it matters because OS4 loads 1.290 (I think) as a kickstart module. That's what the system reports if I do a 'version dh3:' in the shell.

Offline TribbleSmasher

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 09:51:15 PM »
Did you check already if it happens rather early in the boot process or later, after Workbench has been loaded?

Online nbache

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 11:22:30 PM »
@ Bennymee

I'm not a member there
You probably should be if you're running OS4.

@ paul1981

I reverted to 1.277 with the same result, but I'm not sure it matters because OS4 loads 1.290 (I think) as a kickstart module.
Yeah, OS4 uses the PPC version of a file system loaded as a Kickstart module. The only thing a 68k module in the RDB is used for is for cold booting, where the 3.1 ROM is all you've got.

(And always only put 68k versions in the RDB, PPC versions go in Kickstart only - I guess you know that, but maybe some readers didn't.)

Anyway, if you want to revert to an earlier version, you have to find an older PPC Kickstart module to put in your Kickstart dir.

Best regards,

Niels
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:24:07 PM by nbache »

Offline paul1981

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
Did you check already if it happens rather early in the boot process or later, after Workbench has been loaded?

Good point.

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 03:44:27 AM »
@ TribbleSmasher

Good idea, but I just booted OS4 with no startup-sequence and the Info command still reports SFS partitions as read-only.

@ Niels

I tried kickstart modules of 1.279 and 1.286 - still no luck.

Does the OS4 installer do anything special apart from copy files and set the specified preferences? I ask because my re-install attempt crashed partway through and I ended up copying the rest of the files by hand. Is there some sneaky script that tells the system it's "ready"? I found the one for the SObjs: softlinks, but is there something that's part of the install script that my non-Python-knowing eyes can't see?